#16 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 23001 Thanks
  • 7613 posts

Posted April 12, 2021 - 04:20 PM

I understand your conundrum but unfortunately there is no simple or easy answer on what the solution is.  Sell them all and then mutter every time you want to do something and cannot because you no longer have the tools to do the job.  Sell a few - how do you chose - draw numbers, flip a coin, "eeny, meeny, miiny, moe", ask the wife, phone a friend, etc.? 

If you have the room might as well keep what you have and enjoy the frustration that goes with owning too many toys that under a less profitable lifestyle we wouldn't or couldn't afford.  There are much worse problems to have and if you can enjoy the machines you have accumulated.

One rule you might consider adopting is that if you get the urge to own one more one that you now posses must find a new home - a lot like having to kick a child out that you raised from birth and not easy to do.   Ah - the joys of having a little too much money and time on your hands along with the ability to repair rather than throw away can be a curse for some of us.  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:         

• Dave in NY, bprzyw, 560Dennis and 2 others have said thanks

#17 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1571 Thanks
  • 544 posts

Posted April 12, 2021 - 08:47 PM

Eric,

Here is one like I am referring to:  Look up "Bolens G14" on the Snohomish craigslist.  It has a front blade and a tiller for $1800.  This is higher than normal for a tube frame, but typical of what we are seeing out here. 

There was a 1256 in Spokane a few months ago with just a snow blower and soft cab for $1200.

D.

• Dave in NY, bprzyw and kg5000 have said thanks

#18 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2704 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted April 13, 2021 - 06:58 PM

I understand your conundrum but unfortunately there is no simple or easy answer on what the solution is.  Sell them all and then mutter every time you want to do something and cannot because you no longer have the tools to do the job.  Sell a few - how do you chose - draw numbers, flip a coin, "eeny, meeny, miiny, moe", ask the wife, phone a friend, etc.? 

If you have the room might as well keep what you have and enjoy the frustration that goes with owning too many toys that under a less profitable lifestyle we wouldn't or couldn't afford.  There are much worse problems to have and if you can enjoy the machines you have accumulated.

One rule you might consider adopting is that if you get the urge to own one more one that you now posses must find a new home - a lot like having to kick a child out that you raised from birth and not easy to do.   Ah - the joys of having a little too much money and time on your hands along with the ability to repair rather than throw away can be a curse for some of us.  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:         

Well, you are probably right about keeping what I have. I just get a bit frustrated at times moving tractors around to get to the one I want to use. That and I am down a battery at present. Have 5 L&G batteries, 3 are the higher amp rated ones that are going strong and the other 2 are the cheaper ones. One of them is pretty weak. 3 years old so that's no surprise. I have been swapping a battery back and forth between 2 of the tractors. Not a huge deal, but not exactly what I want to do just to move a tractor or use it for a few minutes. 

• bprzyw, propane1 and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#19 takefive247 ONLINE  

takefive247
  • Member No: 96030
  • 19 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 14, 2021 - 08:26 AM

Thought I had the battery problem solved by replacing several with Napa automotive batteries. No such luck. Coldest day of the year and 3 wouldn't start for other unrelated problems. But still four old HT's are better then one new toy.

Bil

• Dave in NY and bprzyw have said thanks

#20 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2704 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted April 14, 2021 - 05:55 PM

I cheat, the snow duty tractors stay in our garage. The temp doesn't go below 45°.  I made the mistake of leaving a tractor with snow-blower on it in the unheated barn and had summertime 15-40 oil in the motor still. That was a no start condition when I needed it one cold day. I should have known better!  :wallbanging:

• bprzyw, propane1 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#21 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2704 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted April 21, 2021 - 05:32 PM

A little more to add to my original thoughts. Several years ago I found, saved, and rehashed this 1054. Repowered it with a B&S Vanguard 16 horse. Replaced a lot of bearings, seals, a couple of shafts, lots of body and paint work on the sheet metal, etc.,etc. Spent quite a bit of time getting it to where you see it now. I used it to blow snow with and it runs the blower very well, no shortage of power. My only fault with it was all the clutching, shifting, and pulling on the manual lift lever. I haven't yet put a mowing deck under it, but suspect it would mow grass nicely too. I have a repowered 1050 that is pretty much my dedicated mowing tractor so there really hasn't been any need to. I had thoughts of tearing this 1054 apart and returning it to somewhat original with a Wisconsin TRA-10D motor I revived this past winter. I have sat and stared at this thing a couple of times and just can't seem to convince myself to do it. Like it sits, it's turn-key, needs nothing, ready to go, purrs like a kitty. I believe it would be dumb of me to change it. I guess I just need to find a job for it to do around here. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1054,1254 010.JPG
  • 1054,1254 011.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, April 21, 2021 - 05:34 PM.

• KennyP, bprzyw, Doug E. and 1 other said thanks

#22 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2704 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted April 21, 2021 - 06:27 PM

And here's a bit more to ponder about. In July and August of 2019 I found and bought 3 tube frame tractors from 3 different locations. This 1254 was one of them. The main reason I bought this one because it had a very solid and complete 42" deck mounted under it. For me the deck alone was worth the purchase price. The original Wisconsin TRA-12D wasn't worth attempting to save. I have robbed the front wheels to put on my 800 and the amp gauge and pto assembly are currently on the H14 I recently built. I have run it around some with the little B&S motor I jury-rigged on it and the transmission all works fine. The clutch, drive shaft assembly will need attention as one of the bearings complains every third or forth time the clutch is used. Amazingly the hood and hinge, dash plate, fender pan, are in very good condition. Original seat is cracked and hard as a rock. The tower, or dash support is rough, rusted away on the bottom, lots of damage at the top. The trim panels that go along the frame tubes are pretty rusty too. I discovered that someone had installed a push button switch to activate the solenoid, probably to skirt around a wiring or safety switch issue. Dash plate is unmolested and solid, key switch even seems to be functional Light switch is toast. Lots of little things that need fixed or replaced, but there's a lot there to work with too. I squirt oil on the hardware and things that should move if, when I think of it. Been wondering what to do with it. I think its a bit past the point [for me anyway] of being a restoration project. I was thinking of maybe installing one of the motors I revived this past winter and making a rough around the edges utility tractor. Just thoughts. I really won't have much time for a low priority project like this right now. I guess it can sit there for a while longer. I some how found myself with a wee bit of free time this afternoon and removed the dash plate and what remained of the wire harness.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1054,1254 001.JPG
  • 1054,1254 002.JPG
  • 1054,1254 005.JPG
  • 1054,1254 004.JPG
  • 1054,1254 003.JPG
  • 1054,1254 006.JPG
  • 1054,1254 012.JPG
  • 1054,1254 009.JPG
  • 1054,1254 013.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, April 22, 2021 - 04:40 AM.

• KennyP, bprzyw, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 53439 Thanks
  • 53423 posts

Posted April 22, 2021 - 04:45 AM

Nice to see some of these being cared for. Been pondering what to do with some of mine.

• Dave in NY, bprzyw and propane1 have said thanks

#24 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2704 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted April 22, 2021 - 05:43 PM

This 1254 tractor had actually been saved from a scrapyard by the brother of the fellow I bought it from. At least that was what he told me, I thought the story was plausible. I suspect that it was junked because of the failure of the Wisconsin motor. When I disassembled it I found the camshaft broken and the block was cracked at the bearing area where the end of cam fit. I suppose it could have been professionally welded and then had it machined to fit a replacement camshaft. I don't believe it would have been worth the time and expense. I actually thought it unusual that someone saw value in an old, rusty GT and took the effort to save it. Glad that he did! I have a solid , complete, 42" deck that could be revived rather easily stashed away because of it.
  • bprzyw, propane1, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#25 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2704 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted April 22, 2021 - 05:53 PM

Nice to see some of these being cared for. Been pondering what to do with some of mine.

Sort of a dilemma isn't it? We hate to see them go for scrap so we save them. Not many folks out there with much interest in them. Maybe that's a good thing. Gives us "tractor people" some supply to keep us entertained.
  • KennyP, bprzyw, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#26 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6967 Thanks
  • 4648 posts

Posted April 27, 2021 - 10:35 PM

Eric,

Here is one like I am referring to:  Look up "Bolens G14" on the Snohomish craigslist.  It has a front blade and a tiller for $1800.  This is higher than normal for a tube frame, but typical of what we are seeing out here. 

There was a 1256 in Spokane a few months ago with just a snow blower and soft cab for $1200.

D.

Hmmmm Just keep your eye out. I snagged a G14 with deck and blower for $120 just last week. Yep $120 and it Runs. Blows oil out of the breather but I'm hoping that the reed valve in the breather is being held open by a chunk of debris or the reed could be broken. There are a few NOS breathers on ebay for around $20 if my used parts guy up the road doesn't have 1.  

• Dave in NY, bprzyw, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#27 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1571 Thanks
  • 544 posts

Posted April 29, 2021 - 12:15 PM

Eric,

That is more like what I like to find!

Doug

#28 560Dennis OFFLINE  

560Dennis
  • Member No: 70672
  • 36 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 04, 2021 - 07:00 AM

I recommend word of mouth , and shows , down sizing is rough to come to grips with ,but after the first one goes to a good home ,the rest will be the same.