• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2711 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted April 10, 2021 - 06:12 PM

I have come to the realization that I have too many Bolens tube frame tractors. I recently built up [re-powered] an H14 for snow blowing duty and now have little use for my re-powered 1054. Put quite a bit of effort in to rehashing the 1054, nice solid tractor, not short on power. Put it back to original, stash it away [maybe need it later], sell it?? I also have an 800 that I found sitting for sale and just had to rescue it. Been using it for light utility work. Bolted a set of weights on it a few days ago and been pulling the lawn-roller, cart with it. Have had thoughts of giving it a cosmetic refresh and taking it to shows for a butt-buggy. The thing is I have 7 tube tractors sitting and could get by with 2 or 3 easily. I have storage space for everything out of the weather so that's not an issue. Just been thinking maybe I ought to thin the herd a bit. Or should I go buy up more? I know of one sitting just a couple three miles away that looks like it could use some TLC......

Attached Thumbnails

• tube tractors 005.JPG
  • tube tractors 001.JPG
  • tube tractors 002.JPG
  • tube tractors 004.JPG
  • tube tractors 003.JPG
  • tube tractors 006.JPG
  • tube tractors 007.JPG

• Bolens 1000, hamman, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17575 Thanks
  • 18868 posts

Posted April 10, 2021 - 06:26 PM

Sometimes I wonder the same thing but I cant part with these easily they attach to you

!

I want to get another largeframe but that would mean get rid of a tubeframe dont have any more room for more .

• Dave in NY, boyscout862, bprzyw and 2 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13792 Thanks
  • 6047 posts

Posted April 10, 2021 - 07:32 PM

They, the tractors, are like pets I find. Ya just can’t get rid of them. But I’ve been thinking about selling too. I don’t have any bolens, but have nine plus garden tractors with many attachments. Plus lawn tractors. They all have their story’s and memories, but I don’t use them all.

Noel
  • hamman, Dave in NY, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Jwangelin OFFLINE  

Jwangelin
  • Member No: 62756
  • 25 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 10, 2021 - 08:08 PM

They look sharp.  Is there a gas tank under the seat of one of those tractors?  Interesting placement, is there any downsides to putting it there?

#5 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1580 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted April 10, 2021 - 08:49 PM

I have found that there is always room for one more....if I just pack things just a little tighter!  At some point this is not going to be true.

Garden tractors around here have mostly disappeared, especially the Bolens.  I have just looked at them being a good investment. 

Doug

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 7002 Thanks
  • 4657 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 03:21 AM

lol they are not a good investment especially if you have to rebuild an engine and replace a bunch of other parts on it to get it 100% operational. Then you will say to yourself "Well I got it apart this far I might as well do this, this and that." Then before you know it you are sanding and repainting and buying new tires for it.

I've put $1,000+ into a tractor only to find something bigger or something I like better a couple years later and end up selling it for less than I have in it because I have no room for that many or I need the money to buy the "new" one. They are an horrible investment if you buy old ratty, worn out GTs and restore them properly. Then you might buy a parts tractor and decide that it's in to good of condition to use for parts and you end up restoring that one as well.

It's a Vicious cycle but it's quite fun lol.

I would rather work on an old GT in my free time than sit on my butt playing with a Phone or watching TV. I can't tell you the last time I watched TV. It's been quite a while.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 11, 2021 - 03:23 AM.

• Bolens 1000, hamman, Dave in NY and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2711 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 06:51 AM

They look sharp. Is there a gas tank under the seat of one of those tractors? Interesting placement, is there any downsides to putting it there?

Yes, there is a tank under the seat. The seat and fender tip up to access it. I devised a hinge assembly that bolts over the transmission cover, hinged at the front. I had to eliminate the original U shaped seat spring, but haven't found that to be an issue. I have used that same design on 3 of my repowered gear drive tractors. I have used tanks liberated from the 100's series of Cub Cadet. Mainly because they fit well and a good friend who lives close by is into Cubs and deals in used parts. I'm sure there is several other brands/ styles of tank that would work just as well.

Edited by Dave in NY, April 11, 2021 - 07:54 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862, bprzyw and 1 other said thanks

#8 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2711 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 07:50 AM

A general response to everyone else- All my tractors except the little 800 have come to me as non-running. And the 800 barely ran well enough to get up the ramps onto the trailer. So all of these tractors have been a rescue project. Truthfully a couple of them could (should ?) have been put in the scrap metal hopper at our local recycle center. The trouble is, I see something broken/neglected and start getting ideas of how I could fix or repurpose it. So that's how I have managed to drag home my collection of Bolens tractors. They all have a story and I hate to part with them. For me the investment would be questionable as I chose to repower several of them with newer motors. That fact right there makes them basically junk in many people's opinion. I would be doing well to break even if/when I sell them. On the other side of the coin I have had a lot of learning,entertainment value by working on them. I also have found them to be a tough, and capable machine for work here on our property. It's just that reality has recently struck home, I don't need 5 running tube frame tractors here to keep things in order. Maybe put a couple up on blocks back in the corner of the barn? Advertise and sell? Just pretend there is no problem and continue buying, rescuing and storing them? Decisions-decisions!
  • hamman, KennyP, bprzyw and 2 others have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 53596 Thanks
  • 53477 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 08:19 AM

That's basically why I have so many. And right now, no one wants them close by here!

• hamman, Dave in NY, bprzyw and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2711 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 09:35 AM

I believe that the percentage of people that have any interest in old,older TL/GTs is rather small. Wether your thing is collecting, restoring, or actually using them regularly, we folks are pretty much far and few between. I have tried flipping a few older tractors I happened to find cheap. Have to wait for just that one special person to come along and buy it. Didn't make much profit when it was done. Most people want a brand new machine with a warranty. I don't actively go out looking for moneymakers anymore. I suppose there will be a deal on something I just can't walk away from at some point though. I have passed along a few tractors of various brands to new owners for free because they came to me the same way.
  • bprzyw, propane1 and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#11 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • 1580 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 10:04 AM

Eric,

I'll stick by my comment of them being a good investment, but that is around here, where there hasn't been a Bolens (or any other garden tractor other than Sears or JD) on Craigslist for months.

That being said, I also bought runners and not fixit projects.  Aside from one tractor I paid too much for, I can get at minimum what I paid for everything, and in most cases more. 

Regards,

Doug

• Dave in NY, bprzyw and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#12 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2711 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 11:43 AM

I guess it all depends on your location and what you are trying to buy/sell. My repowered workers would basically be junk to a collector. I understand that. Original like the factory produced it is where the value is.
  • bprzyw, propane1, Doug E. and 1 other said thanks

#13 426tractorguy OFFLINE  

426tractorguy

andweknow.com

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 1122 Thanks
  • 594 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 12:23 PM

send one to me! i'll make sure its taken care of!

#14 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 7002 Thanks
  • 4657 posts

Posted April 11, 2021 - 10:22 PM

Eric,

I'll stick by my comment of them being a good investment, but that is around here, where there hasn't been a Bolens (or any other garden tractor other than Sears or JD) on Craigslist for months.

That being said, I also bought runners and not fixit projects.  Aside from one tractor I paid too much for, I can get at minimum what I paid for everything, and in most cases more. 

Regards,

Doug

Check Facebook Marketplace. Seems like everyone is moving over there. Tons of Bolens and Wheel Horses and Cub Cadets and Simplicities and Power Kings and JD's. Look on Craigslist and your lucky to find 1 GT in an 80 mile radius. Check the same search results on Marketplace and it will come up with quite a few. Most of them on marketplace are severely over priced but there are some good deals to be had on there as well.

I recently got a non-running Cub Cadet 2166 with 42" deck and 42" dual stage blower for $200. The blower is shaft drive to belt drive with a right angle gear box. Not 100% sure but I think I can make it work on a Bolens Tube Frame. I cleaned the carb and threw a battery in it and it fired rite up so I mowed the lawn with it. Might have to keep this thing for a bit. It runs and works really good. 

I still think Facebook is the devil but I'm hooked at looking at stuff on Marketplace.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 11, 2021 - 10:23 PM.

#15 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • 1580 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted April 12, 2021 - 02:13 PM

Eric,

I agree that a lot of people have moved over to FB market place, but I still don't see much posted there either in this neck of the woods.

Regards,

Doug

• bprzyw said thank you