• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Headrc OFFLINE  

Headrc
  • Member No: 86042
  • 10 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 12, 2021 - 11:24 AM

Just out of curiosity ..is there a work around on those electronic ignitions on the Tecumseh?  If I am rebuilding I am curious because it is a 12HP motor.  

#17 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 1025 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted April 12, 2021 - 04:11 PM

There was a method to adopt the ignition coil used on IH cub cadets and an aftermarket circuit to sense when to trigger the spark.  You might do a google search or look here under the Sears garden tractors as they used those engines very heavilly, as did the Massey GT's.  Its usually under the Sears stuff where you find the best help for the Techmuseh engines. 

• Headrc said thank you

#18 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 23122 Thanks
  • 7650 posts

Posted April 12, 2021 - 04:26 PM

Just out of curiosity ..is there a work around on those electronic ignitions on the Tecumseh?  If I am rebuilding I am curious because it is a 12HP motor.  

This thread may be of interest to you

https://gardentracto...ronic-ignition/

Post # 4 has a few links that you may wish to check out as they may help answer your question

• Headrc said thank you

#19 Headrc OFFLINE  

Headrc
  • 10 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 13, 2021 - 01:22 PM

This may be a stupid question.  But is there actually a ball bearing inside the gear cover on these motors ....and then another ball bearing with the spring for the camshaft thrust on these motors?  I am still trying to figure out what might have happened.  If there in fact two of these ball bearings ....I only had one.  But that is all that I found when I opened it up in the first place and looking at the parts manual it only indicates one.  Just wondering if there is supposed to be one .... like I stated ...probably a stupid question but worth asking to make sure I did not do something wrong there.  Thanks.

#20 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 3963 Thanks
  • 4613 posts

Posted April 29, 2021 - 08:02 PM

DON'T go with a predator engine.
I wouldn't want one even if free.
What part of the country are you from?
Somebody here might have a good engine or parts or assistance to get what you currently have, going.
  • Headrc said thank you

#21 turmlos OFFLINE  

turmlos
  • Member No: 77832
  • 37 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 30, 2021 - 10:16 AM

This may be a stupid question.  But is there actually a ball bearing inside the gear cover on these motors ....and then another ball bearing with the spring for the camshaft thrust on these motors?

No, just the ball bearing & spring on the camshaft.

The TR-10D, TRA-10D & S-8D use the same crankcase. If you think something may be off with your TRA's crankcase, you could swap TRA internals (crank, rod, piston) into your TR and keep the 10 horses. Just some food for thought.

• Headrc said thank you

#22 Headrc OFFLINE  

Headrc
  • 10 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 06, 2021 - 12:38 AM

Thanks ...sorry for the late reply as I have been dealing with other spring chores.  I am in Tennessee.

Swapping the internals of the TRA with the TR is not an option since the rod,camshaft and piston were completely demolished.  I am proceeding to rebuild the TR at this time ...and I think I may have made a discovery of why this happened.  Taking the camshaft from the TR and just testing it in both the TR crankcase and the TRA crankcase indicates that there is a lot play where that camshaft is seated in the TRA crankcase.  And looking at the seat where the camshaft is inserted at the back of that crankcase I see a small crack in it.  So my theory right now is that it is faulty and caused this whole problem.  Again ...two camshafts in the same crankcase busted indicates to me that something is wrong with that crankcase. 

Anyways ....I wish I could have a TRA instead of the TR to get this project back up and running ....but it is going to have to do. And replacing the camshaft as well as the rod and piston to be able to have a TRA is just too expensive at this time.

Edited by Headrc, May 06, 2021 - 12:41 AM.