• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mittrue OFFLINE  

mittrue
  • Member No: 98868
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 01, 2021 - 04:44 PM

I recently pulled the rear axle/ Peerless 2300 transmission from my Jacobsen Cheif 1000 and rebulit the speed reducer on it, thanks to the help and info on GT talk.  My transmission is now popping out of gear.  With the shifter assembly removed, I am able to move the shifter forks easily with my fingers.  I am 99 percent sure it is due to worn or missing detent springs.  From what I read, I  should  stand the axle on end vertically, with the speed reducer end facing up, remove what is needed (speed reducer, axle housing etc, then split the transmission case.  Once the case is open, is it apparent where the detent springs and balls should be placed?  Does anyone have any advise on tackling this project?   Thanks,  Mike

#2 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 700 Thanks
  • 336 posts

Posted March 03, 2021 - 08:32 PM

You’re on the right track. Drain the gear oil. If I remember correctly, point the center case bolts heads up. Leave the tire and wheel on the opposite side and on the ground. Pull the hub. Unbolt and pull the axle housing. Pull the axle seal and square o ring. Remove the shifter. Tap on the main housing and get the two halves to separate. The detent balls and springs are contained in the forks.
  • mittrue said thank you

#3 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 700 Thanks
  • 336 posts

Posted March 03, 2021 - 08:40 PM

If you don’t fix the detents, it will fall into two gears at once and the engine will have enough horsepower to shell the teeth off the cluster gear.
  • mittrue said thank you

#4 mittrue OFFLINE  

mittrue
  • Member No: 98868
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 04, 2021 - 03:53 PM

GardnMastr,

Thank you for your response.  Initially, I believe it was after the detent balls fell out taht it became  stuck in gear.  Maybe the balls or spings jammed in between gears.  I was able to get it into neutral after removing the shifter/housing.

I then reinstalled the shifter/housing, put it in 2nd gear, attached a bungie cord to keep it from popping out of gear and drove off. ( I was not aware really of what exactly happened or that this could do significant damage). Once or twice when shifting into gear, it did go into two gears and I was quickly aware of that, put it back into 2nd.  I drove quite a few times like that.  I don't beleive that I did any considerabe damage but I will see when I pull it apart.  Thanks again for your help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: peerless 2300, jacobsen, cheif 1000