• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 29, 2021 - 06:10 PM

Been pretty much sidetracked by a project for my church, but still piecing it back together when I get a few minutes to spare. Sprayed a coat on all the various pieces a few days ago and got everything but the gas tank back on the motor. Hope to get that installed and do another run session soon. 

Attached Thumbnails

• sand 007.JPG
  • sand 008.JPG

• Bolens 1000, 29 Chev, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#32 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted April 01, 2021 - 05:34 PM

Got the tank mounted and gave it another run. The guess and by gosh fabrication/modifications for the throttle/governor linkages seem to work ok. Just going by a WAG I believe the governed full speed is a smidge low. Possibly not quite 3K rpm. I would have to use my hand held tachometer to verify that of course. But the governor seems to function so that's a big plus. I can tweak that later, when or if I want to. Ran it about 15 minutes then drained the oil again. Ran it through a paint strainer to see what might come out. Didn't see any metal flakes or chunks and the oil still looked pretty much like it did when I poured it out of the bottle so that's good too. I am going to backtrack and make a clamp to secure the air-cleaner elbow to the carb as that wants to slide off the carb due to the engines vibration. I had wondered about that when I was making it. Minor issue. I think this motor will be ok to power a throw together tractor with. 

Attached Thumbnails

• yellow 003.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, April 02, 2021 - 04:02 PM.

• KennyP, 29 Chev and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#33 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted April 03, 2021 - 05:09 PM

This isn't terribly exciting, but just another small issue dealt with with. I had noticed during the last run that my homebrewed air cleaner elbow wanted to slowly slide out from the snout of the carburetor. The tubing I used was a snug slip-fit but the engines vibrations made it move anyway. Not that the motor vibrates excessively, just typical one-lunger vibration. I didn't make any provision to clamp it like how the stock Wisconsin version was built. So today I put 2 slits in the elbow with the cut-off wheel and then fabricated a clamp to fit around it. Used a piece of 12 gauge strap about 5/8" wide. Using some heat from the torch I wrapped it around a piece of pipe. I need to get me one of those bending machines! Some trimming, drilled holes, threaded one side with a nut welded to it too. Looks like it should work ok. Painted and hanging by the stove to dry. I'll see if it works in a few days when I do another run session.

Attached Thumbnails

• clamp 003.JPG
  • clamp 001.JPG
  • clamp 002.JPG
  • clamp 004.JPG
  • clamp 005.JPG
  • clamp 006.JPG

• 29 Chev and kjmweld have said thanks

#34 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3594 Thanks
  • 1328 posts

Posted April 03, 2021 - 06:39 PM

Not being a tube frame guy, I don't know what they're supposed to look like... but I'd be fooled by that not being an original part, that's for sure. 👌
  • Dave in NY said thank you

#35 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted April 08, 2021 - 06:45 PM

Got time today for a another run session. I believe the clamp is going to do the trick, holding the elbow securely to the snout of the carb. About 10 minutes run time and it appears to be right where I put it. So far so good.

Attached Thumbnails

• clamp 001.JPG

• KennyP and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks