• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13638 Thanks
  • 6004 posts

Posted March 06, 2021 - 02:36 PM

Where did you get the parts at Dave ? Should work fine. Lookin good.

Noel
  • Dave in NY and 29 Chev have said thanks

#17 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 06, 2021 - 06:52 PM

Where did you get the parts at Dave ? Should work fine. Lookin good.
Noel

I started by doing a Google search and went from there. I found the crank seals and rod listed on EBay, 2 different sellers. The gasket set and piston/rings I got from iSaveTractors. I was comparing prices and trying to do this without spending big bucks. So yeah- this one is getting done on the cheap side. But like I stated, I won't be depending on this for much hard work, like one of my regular working tractors. At least that's the direction I'm headed right now. And of course part of the motivation behind this project is the challenge of bringing a motor back to life that was blown up.
  • KennyP, propane1, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#18 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 07, 2021 - 04:57 PM

Got time today to start the assembly process. I set the gap on the rings at about .008. Specs called for .007- .020. I set the endplay on the crankshaft at about .002. Specs called for .001 - .007. Had to experiment with the paper gaskets that mount the bearing support to achieve that. Manual called for .020 clearance for the exhaust valve and .010 for the intake. So that's what they got. Had to grind just a bit off the end of each valves stem to set that. Kind of a slow process as I only took off just wee bit and then checked the progress with the feeler gauges as I went.  And of course torqued everything to what the manual called for as I progressed. Used a dab of grease on the cam lobes and journals and a shot of oil on everything else that slides or turns. I have been cleaning and priming the sheet metal pieces over the past few days and got them painted this afternoon. They are all hanging up to dry near the stove. So there is where the project is at right now. You can see how pecked up the head got from the screws that came out of the carburetor. I buffed the pecked area up as good as I could and then floated the head around on a sheet of emery paper on top of the table of my table-saw. Took a bit of rubbing around and around , back and forth to get the gasket surface cleaned up shiny all the way around. I suspect it might have been torqued up a bit too tight and warped just a bit in the past. I saw evidence of the motor being apart and reassembled as I was cleaning things up. So this isn't the first tinker session for this motor. 

Attached Thumbnails

• assemble 001.JPG
  • assemble 002.JPG
  • assemble 003.JPG
  • assemble 004.JPG
  • assemble 005.JPG
  • assemble 006.JPG
  • assemble 008.JPG
  • assemble 010.JPG
  • assemble 012.JPG
  • assemble 009.JPG
  • assemble 011.JPG

#19 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 22758 Thanks
  • 7524 posts

Posted March 08, 2021 - 02:56 PM

Coming along nicely - soon be ready for a test run.  It is interesting how similar the location of most of the components are on that engine and a Wisconsin of similar horse power.  Nowadays it seems that most single cylinder engines have the "slant six' look with the cylinder at an angle rather than straight up and down.  Amazing what a little screw can accomplish inside the combustion area. 

• KennyP and Dave in NY have said thanks

#20 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 08, 2021 - 07:32 PM

Yep, I can just imagine the racket that poor motor made as the screws worked thier way through it while it ran wide open. Not to mention all the knocking as the rod wore and then seized to the crankshaft. The big "bang" at the end must have been quite spectacular! I should have taken some pictures of the carnage when I first opened it up. Just about everything below the wrist pin on the piston was in pieces. The counterweights of the crankshaft saw to that.
  • KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#21 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 11, 2021 - 08:54 PM

Coming along nicely - soon be ready for a test run.  It is interesting how similar the location of most of the components are on that engine and a Wisconsin of similar horse power.  Nowadays it seems that most single cylinder engines have the "slant six' look with the cylinder at an angle rather than straight up and down.  Amazing what a little screw can accomplish inside the combustion area. 

Yes there are quite a few similarities to a Wisconsin of the same hp. And a few differences too. Not terribly hard to work on, just new to me. Not particularly jazzed about having to remove 3 of the head-bolts to install or remove the air shroud, you have to have the heat baffle/plate mounted to the intake port before you install the air shroud too. Found that out the hard way. The power lug for the starter is tucked back in really close to the gas tank mounting bracket, and not too pleased with how the location of the holes in the air shroud for the fuel hose cause the hose to take a tight bend and lie between the shroud and tank. Doesn't seem to cause a restriction but it's a very tight fit. I'll investigate that, possibly could relocate that hole a bit lower. I started off using some dark brown paint on the sheet metal parts but ran out and switched to black. I will give it a better overall paint job later. Going to see it run first. It has a nice snappy blue spark, I need to mount a carburetor. And yes I am going to try the Wisconsin manifold and carb on it just because I want to. We'll see how that works. So its mounted on the portable stand and I have wired up the rectifier/ regulator that goes to it. Did an amp gauge too, might as well see how well it charges the battery. Not going to bother with a solenoid just for a few start up sessions. So next is to take a peek at the carburetor, get that mounted, add oil and some gas. Stay tuned! LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• seting up 004.JPG
  • seting up 003.JPG
  • seting up 002.JPG
  • seting up 001.JPG
  • seting up 005.JPG
  • seting up 006.JPG

• propane1 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#22 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 12, 2021 - 09:39 PM

The curiosity was getting to me so I gave it go this afternoon. Down and dirty. Used rubber bands to hold the throttle and choke levers. Took a chance on the carb and bolted it on as it was. I knew the float, needle/seat were working so figured it might just work. The motor coughed and popped almost immediately. Started and sat running on the second attempt. I let it run about 10 minutes while I tinkered with the high and low speed adjustment screws. I set the idle speed for a fast idle and gave it a blip occasionally. I only saw just a little blue smoke in the first minute or so of it starting. The amp gauge registered a charge so that's good. I didn't see any leaks and there aren't any odd noises so I think this motor should be ok. I drained the oil and very much like the Wisconsin's first run it looked off color. Probably the grease I smeared on the camshaft, tappets, governor assembly, etc. I am going to take the air shroud back off and change how the fuel hose is routed through it. Just don't like how its kinked and squeezed between the shroud and tank. No decision yet on the Wisconsin manifold and carb, or if I will buy a replacement carb like ought to be on it. Going to do a couple more test runs before much else.

Attached Thumbnails

• first run 003.JPG
  • first run 002.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, March 13, 2021 - 07:16 AM.

#23 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 13, 2021 - 04:30 PM

I removed  the air shroud and did some investigation.  Discovered that the hole for the fuel hose on the tank side could be moved down an inch which would eliminate the pinch and there will be still plenty of room over top of the flywheel. Flywheel is about 8" in diameter and lines up pretty much with the outer stamped ring I am pointing to with the pencil. I went ahead and drilled a new hole, the hose is through the original hole in the picture.  Going to solder a scrap of tin over the original hole on the inside of the shroud. Still thinking about making the Wisconsin manifold and carb fit this motor. I discovered that the Wisconsin governor lever will fit the Tecumseh's shaft. The original lever is on the left in the picture. I would have to drill a hole in the air shroud to mount the Wisconsin pivot plate that the spring rod and throttle cable attach to. And another issue would be I would have to fabricate an air cleaner elbow that moved the filter away from the air shroud. The Wisconsin filter elbow would sit in too close and the cover wouldn't fit over the paper element properly. I discovered that a piece of 1 3/4" exhaust tube fits over the end of the carb perfectly. I have enough leftovers of various pieces of tubing etc. that I could make an elbow with out much trouble. Got to thinking about all this and realized that the fuel hose running  uphill through the shroud might not be the best idea if I was to do this conversion. Would have to count on the syphon effect for fuel flow after getting down to about 1/3 tank. Just reroute the hose around the front of the shroud and that would fix that issue. I sort of want to do this just as an experiment. Would it work? I believe it would be fine. The motor ran great during the short test run I did. On the other side of the coin something tells me "don't be dumb- just buy a correct replacement carb, rebuild the pulse fuel pump and put back together like its supposed to be!" So- create a half-breed motor as sort of a curiosity, or continue in the direction of original? Humm, going to think on it a bit. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Shroud 001.JPG
  • Shroud 002.JPG
  • Shroud 003.JPG
  • Shroud 006.JPG
  • Shroud 005.JPG
  • Shroud 007.JPG
  • Shroud 009.JPG
  • Shroud 011.JPG
  • Shroud 008.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, March 13, 2021 - 06:11 PM.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 53158 Thanks
  • 53301 posts

Posted March 13, 2021 - 06:04 PM

Who knows, that Tecumseh may like the Wisconsin parts!

• Dave in NY said thank you

#25 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 13, 2021 - 06:09 PM

It did start right up, and was sounding pretty good after I fiddled with the adjustment needles a bit.

• propane1 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#26 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 14, 2021 - 08:28 PM

After some deliberation I finally decided to try the Wisconsin carb on this motor. A re-pop carb starts a bit under 20 bucks on EBay, and a rebuild kit for the impulse fuel pump is a bit less than 10 bucks. Quality of these items?  Might be fine. Anyway I decided to try this modification. The only thing I have altered much is the Techies air shroud. After checking some dimensions on the TRA-10D motor [should be the same as a TRA-12D] I drilled 2 holes in the side of the shroud for the throttle linkage pivot piece. I soldered a piece of a #20 spike in for the stop pin and a 1/4" nut for the pivots bolt. Also soldered a  couple pieces of tin over the holes where the fuel hose originally went. Shouldn't have drilled that extra hole in it yesterday!  No biggie. I'll reroute the fuel hose around the front on the outside of the shroud. Going to cut out a piece of expanded metal for a cover over the flywheel opening. I don't remember there being a screen with the motor when I bought the tractor. I fabricated an elbow to mount the air-cleaner  element and cover. The Wisconsin elbow  has an offset to the right looking at it from the front. This made an interference with the Techies air shroud. I used scraps of exhaust tubing and a large washer to create this one. It is pretty much aligned straight upward and allows the can, or cover of the cleaner to fit along side the air shroud. I measured and it still should fit under a Bolens hood. If need be the can could be left off and just use an exposed element. I added a piece of tubing that will mate to the valve breather hose and a piece of 1/4" threaded rod to secure the cover. Brazed the 2 pieces of tubing together, welded the washer and threaded rod in place, and soldered the small tubing for the breather.  Still have to fab a small bracket to hook the throttle return spring to. Probably anchor that to one of screws that hold the breather cover to the motor. Unless I think of something else. I sure made a mess of the paint on the shroud. Oh well, I'll sand it off and repaint it when I'm done. Still have to drill holes and solder nuts on to hold the screen that's going to cover the flywheel opening. So there's where I am as of this afternoon. So I guess I'll call it a Techconsin. 

Attached Thumbnails

• mods 001.JPG
  • mods 002.JPG
  • mods 003.JPG
  • mods 015.JPG
  • mods 014.JPG
  • mods 013.JPG
  • mods 012.JPG
  • mods 010.JPG
  • mods 008.JPG
  • mods 004.JPG
  • mods 006.JPG
  • mods 007.JPG
  • mods 016.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, March 14, 2021 - 08:32 PM.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#27 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 15, 2021 - 07:17 PM

I stopped at the local hardware today and got 4 each machine screws with nuts, flat washers and lock washers. Cut out a pice of expanded metal to cover the hole in the air shroud. Drilled holes and mounted it along with a clip that I will use to hold the fuel hose as that is getting routed around the front of the shroud and not through it. I used a dab of Loc-Tite on the hardware, don't need anything coming loose next to a spinning flywheel.  Using the DA sander I got quite a bit of the paint and primer sanded off and put a couple dabs of Bondo where the holes got tinned over yesterday. Next session will be to sand out the Bondo repairs and do a complete job of sanding out the remains of the paint I just put on it last week. At least its a small piece and not terribly time consuming to rework.

Attached Thumbnails

• bondo 001.JPG
  • bondo 002.JPG
  • bondo 003.JPG
  • bondo 004.JPG

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 29 Chev have said thanks

#28 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 20, 2021 - 09:21 AM

Busy lately as usual, life, work, etc. I have managed to get some parts cleaned up and in primer. Shroud cleaned up good, and I re-did the gas tank because I wasn't happy with how it turned out, should have sanded it better the first time. Being in a hurry and painting never seem to work well. I took the home made air-cleaner elbow to a friends shop and gave it a session in his blast cabinet. Got to get me one of those!  Now just waiting for a warm day to do some painting. Will probably get the parts detailed then assemble it all on the motor and give it an overall paint job. Little project this morning, I made a bracket to anchor the choke and throttle cables to. Found a scrap of 1" angle iron in my collection of useful things [junk] that worked for that. A little drilling, trimming, grinding and tapped 2 holes, should work fine. It bolts to 2 holes in the block that were already threaded, possibly for a bracket similar to this one, or something of that nature. Also found a small piece that fit right on a screw for the breather cover that will hold the throttle return spring.

Attached Thumbnails

• bracket 010.JPG
  • bracket 011.JPG
  • bracket 001.JPG
  • bracket 009.JPG
  • bracket 002.JPG
  • bracket 003.JPG
  • bracket 008.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#29 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 22758 Thanks
  • 7524 posts

Posted March 20, 2021 - 11:12 AM

Looking good.  Sometimes making / altering little brackets and trinkets can take as much or more time than what one considers they might be worth but they definitely save some grief when it comes time to mount the engine and have a clean looking job with everything working properly. 

• KennyP and Dave in NY have said thanks

#30 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 21, 2021 - 06:44 AM

Looking good.  Sometimes making / altering little brackets and trinkets can take as much or more time than what one considers they might be worth but they definitely save some grief when it comes time to mount the engine and have a clean looking job with everything working properly.

Very true. I had about an hour and a half into making the bracket which included deciding where and how it would mount to the motor. Then go rummage through the metal collection, find suitable machine screws, etc. I gave it a squirt of primer and hung it by the stove. Just as you stated, it's better to do little things like this beforehand.
  • KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks