• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 15, 2021 - 08:44 PM

Due to the cold of winter and the virus situation I have been rummaging around in my storage areas looking at things I have stashed away over the past few years. I recently sorted through a bunch of Wisconsin engine parts and made a project of finishing the rebuild of a TRA-10D I had started on a few years ago. I also had the original Tecumseh motor that was on the 1220 tractor I brought home several years back. The PO told me it had made a  "big noise" and stopped running, wouldn't start up after that. I knew it was hurt pretty bad and that went into the negotiating of the price I paid for the tractor. After getting the motor removed from the tractor I opened it up and found the connecting rod was broken in several pieces and the piston had been smashed by the counterweights of the crankshaft. Removing the broken rod and piston pieces, I put the cover back on and found that by spinning the flywheel the SSI unit provided a nice snappy blue spark. The block and camshaft didn't seem to have suffered any damage when the "big noise" happened. Further investigation showed that the  screws came out of the throttle plate in the carburetor, bounced around on top of the piston and must have been blown out the exhaust. They were nowhere to be found so they must have made their way through the muffler. So the poor old HH120 that was low on oil [extremely dirty oil too] obviously ran ungoverned till the rod seized to the crankshaft and the "big noise" happened. I half heartedly looked for a replacement Tecumseh motor and also looked for parts to rebuild this one, but decided to do a repower with a more modern motor instead. So this greasy, broken HH120 has been sitting on a shelf in my barn for a  couple three years now. This past weekend I retrieved it from storage and started taking it apart for further inspection. I bought some muriatic acid at the hardware to clean the galled aluminum from the crankshaft journal where the rod had seized to it. Kept brushing the acid on and it slowly ate the aluminum off the steel with no damage to the steel. I had a door open as the fumes from doing this are quite nasty. You don't want to breathe it! After a rinse in water to neutralize the acid I did a light polish with some fine emery cloth. The journal cleaned up nicely and a quick check with a dial caliper showed it pretty much still round. Just maybe the crankshaft is still good to use. I'll have to look up some specs on a HH120 motor as I have a bit of checking to do yet .I see there are replacement parts available for these Tecumseh motors so possibly if it wouldn't cost me a small fortune it could be revived. The cylinder bore doesn't look too bad and there is just a hint of a ridge at the top, maybe it could be just honed. I have to finish getting it all apart, cleaned and measured first before I decide what direction this is going. 

Attached Thumbnails

• HH120 002.JPG
  • HH120 003.JPG
  • HH120 001.JPG
  • HH120 004.JPG

• hamman, KennyP, LilysDad and 8 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 53149 Thanks
  • 53299 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 05:39 AM

I'll be lurking as I have not had one of these. Never too late to learn things!

• Dave in NY and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 06:24 AM

I'll be lurking as I have not had one of these. Never too late to learn things!

I haven't had one of these apart either. Had the same motor in a MF 12 tractor that I owned briefly many moons ago. The Massey was part of a package deal and I was too busy with other things and soon passed it along to another tinkerer. Probably should have kept it but didn't have the storage space for it back then. Oh well. Other than no spring and ball on the end of the camshaft and the exhaust port located around the corner from the intake it seems quite similar to a Wisconsin motor.
  • KennyP and 4getgto have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13638 Thanks
  • 6003 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 06:48 AM

I have a MF 12 with the hh120 engine. And I have a spare engine, which is locked up, not sure if it’s a hh100 or hh120. Any way. Lucky for me it had the ignition coil on it. So when mine in the MF 12 went I had the spare. I didn’t think you could get engine parts for these motors any more.

Noel
  • KennyP and Dave in NY have said thanks

#5 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 01:19 PM

I have a MF 12 with the hh120 engine. And I have a spare engine, which is locked up, not sure if it’s a hh100 or hh120. Any way. Lucky for me it had the ignition coil on it. So when mine in the MF 12 went I had the spare. I didn’t think you could get engine parts for these motors any more.

Noel

I have found quite a few parts by poking around on the "net". Kind of like hunting up parts for the Wisconsin motors, things are out there, some of it can be pricey though. If the SSI unit didn't work this would be just for parts for sure. Still might, I have to check everything over and see exactly what will be needed to make it run again. If it will be several hundred $ then I'll probably pass. I really don't have an immediate use for it. I have just saved it because it was the original motor that goes to the 1220 tractor. At some point I will probably sell off some or all of my "toys" when we move to an "old folks" apartment or maybe a smaller home. Maybe someone would want to remove my repower and put it back to original. I have all the stock pieces saved that were removed when I did the repower. Maybe nobody will have any interest in an old GT by then. In a few years everything is going to operate on electricity and all the internal combustion things will be outlawed or prohibited anyway. Whew! Sure hope not! Does make you think though!

• KennyP, propane1, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 13638 Thanks
  • 6003 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 04:14 PM

Dave said,,,,,,,,,,,,At some point I will probably sell off some or all of my "toys" when we move to an "old folks" apartment or maybe a smaller home. Maybe someone would want to remove my repower and put it back to original. I have all the stock pieces saved that were removed when I did the repower. Maybe nobody will have any interest in an old GT by then. In a few years everything is going to operate on electricity and all the internal combustion things will be outlawed or prohibited anyway. Whew! Sure hope not! Does make you think though!

Dave your right on. At some point I’ll have to sell or give all the tractors and stuff away, and there will be less people interested in these tractors and stuff. Electric stuff is coming and antique tractors and vehicles will not be allowed to operate.

Noel
  • Dave in NY and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#7 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 06:56 PM

Yep, got to save the environment you know. Fossil fuels have got to go! Maybe I ought to be thinking about how to do an electric repower on one of these Bolens tractors. There are a few examples of converted electric GTs on the forums. Not sure how practical that would be for me. Battery technology is getting better all the time. So maybe it would be ok. Food for thought at least. Big issue is where all the electricity is supposed to come from. Quite a can of worms! 

• propane1 and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#8 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 07:34 PM

I took today off as a snow day and was cleaned up quite nicely by early afternoon. So that gave me time to do a bit more on the boredom project. I finished stripping everything off the block and got busy cleaning. I took the block out to an open bay under the barn and washed it in a drain pan with some gasoline and a brush. Didn't figure a pan with gasoline would be a great idea in the garage with a wood stove going. Lots of thick black goop in the bottom of the block and side cover. Found some pieces of the piston skirt stuck in the goo. Got things rinsed off well enough so I can start checking things over and taking some measurements. Just going by guess and by gosh things don't appear to be too bad. I will give the block a better examination to be sure but I don't see any cracks, breaks, or stripped threads. You can see the peck marks on the head where the screws from the carburetor bounced around just before the "big noise". Maybe just a rod, piston, rings, gaskets and seals and this would live again. I see on Epay that china carburetors start at about $20. Got to check things over and do the math, decide how much I want to invest in a motor that I really don't have any immediate use for. LOL 

Attached Thumbnails

• block 001.JPG
  • block 002.JPG
  • block 003.JPG

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 13638 Thanks
  • 6003 posts

Posted February 17, 2021 - 06:24 AM

Your right again Dave. Our government here where I live, don't want any new housing projects to be heated with any fossil fuels. Makes wonder where all the electric power is gunna come from.

I’ll be following along with your engine progress.

Noel

Edited by propane1, February 17, 2021 - 06:25 AM.

• Dave in NY, nsengineer, AGMANN and 1 other said thanks

#10 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 17, 2021 - 06:12 PM

Not a lot more today. I went to the barn and found the box with the air shroud, air cleaner, fuel pump, carb and starter in it. I recall reading that these Tecumseh starters were prone to being problematic at times. So I did a quick bench test and it spun right up. Sounded good to me. I'll open it up for a look and lube the bushings though.

Attached Thumbnails

• starter 001.JPG

#11 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 17, 2021 - 06:25 PM

Electric power? Why that's simple where it comes from! You just plug whatever in to one of those receptacle things! Easy-peasy! No problem! Well, there seems to be a bit of an issue down in Texas right now. Terrible! I truly do feel bad for them! Having no "juice" isn't much fun! And its cold too, that hurts! I hope everyone down there gets through it. I did see there have been some deaths related to it. Not good!  

• KennyP, propane1, nsengineer and 1 other said thanks

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 13638 Thanks
  • 6003 posts

Posted February 17, 2021 - 08:25 PM

I had put a new starter on my MF 12, with the hh120 engine a number of years ago. With in one or two years it was turning slow. Took it apart and found the armature was rubbing on the magnet fields. Sanded off a bit on each part and put it back together. Been fine ever since. That was about 5 or more years ago.

Noel
  • Dave in NY, nsengineer, AGMANN and 1 other said thanks

#13 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 18, 2021 - 08:50 PM

I see you have a MF 7. I had one a few years back that someone had repowered with a 8hp. B&S. They did a nice job of it and the tractor worked good. I used it for a couple of years to mow and plow snow but I found it to be a bit small for my needs. Nice little tractor, but I dealt it off , needed bigger.
  • propane1, 29 Chev, nsengineer and 1 other said thanks

#14 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted February 26, 2021 - 06:42 PM

Going kind of slow at this project right now. Been cleaning parts and looking things over. I figured everything ought to be cleaned up, no matter if it ends up as for parts or gets brought back to life. I figure the bare minimum I will need to make it run again will be a rod, piston, rings, gaskets, seals, and a carburetor. Just for grins I tried the manifold and carb that went to a Wisconsin TRA-12D on this block. It bolted right on. Surprised me, I wouldn't have figured it. I believe that with a bit of fabrication for the throttle linkage it would work. And possibly a spacer maybe 3/8" thick between the block and the Wisconsin manifold to allow a bit of space between the fuel inlet fitting on the carb and the valve cover breather hose. I borrowed the air cleaner from the TRA-10D for the mock up. I think it would be a neat experiment. Just a thought! Have to call it a Tec-Consin  or maybe a Wis-Cumseh. Been a long day- I'm just what ifing.

Attached Thumbnails

• carb 001.JPG
  • carb 002.JPG
  • carb 003.JPG

#15 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2638 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted March 05, 2021 - 07:38 PM

Been a few days waiting for some parts to arrive. I decided to try a revival of this motor. I bought a con rod and an aftermarket .010 piston and ring-set. Also bought a pair of crankshaft seals and a gasket set. This the bare minimum I feel I can get away with in making this run again. The crankshaft bearings and the valves are good enough to provide some more service. By using my expanding cylinder hone and the antique Craftsman mankiller drill I was able to open up and clean the bore so that the new piston has a nice smooth fit. I stopped the honing process when I was able to fit a .003 ribbon gauge between the thrust face of the piston skirt and the side of the bore. Ought to be good. I will double check the specs and can tweak it a bit if I need to. I still have to file the end gaps of the rings for proper gap. Next will be a clean up of the block. Already ground the valve faces and lapped them to the seats. Valves and seats were in pretty good shape, didn't take much to clean them up.  I gave the block a bath in the wash tank after the hone job but will probably pressure wash it too. So that's where I'm at right at the present. Not trying for a "like new" motor, just want it to run reasonably well. For what I have in mind it should be fine. I doubt it will ever have to work very very hard as I intend to use it to power a Bolens oriented "toy" I want to build.

Attached Thumbnails

• hone 003.JPG
  • hone 001.JPG
  • hone 002.JPG