#1 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 18638 Thanks
  • 11806 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 05:43 AM

How many of you have used brake kleener to seat tire beads? Is this really safe?

• Kster526, 4getgto, afarmboy and 2 others have said thanks

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13288 Thanks
  • 5895 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 06:27 AM

Not me, and not safe in my opinion.

Noel
  • gopher, boyscout862, Kster526 and 5 others have said thanks

#3 4getgto OFFLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 5960 Thanks
  • 2206 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 06:40 AM

I've used ether on truck tires occasionally in the past (in my younger, dumber day).
Spray ether in tire laying on floor, attach air nozzle to tire, spray a line of ether as fuse 10' or so back, light.
Not for the faint of heart.!
Most work uneventful, some make you jump...!
I've seen a few jump of the floor 6"-12" if you overload them with spray...
It does work...

Not sure if I would have the balls for a small tire though..!

Edited by 4getgto, January 13, 2021 - 06:42 AM.

• KennyP, gopher, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#4 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2653 Thanks
  • 1318 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 07:20 AM

Once.

When I had the motorcycle shop I'd mount tires for the lawn service behind me.  One time he brought me a mower tire where we just couldn't get the bead to hold air, even with 3 of his biggest guys and a ratchet strap trying to squeeze the tire together.  He wanted to try ether.

He sprayed ether in the tire and lit.  He must have put too much in because instead of popping it just started to burn.  He threw the tire out the back door and we watched the burning tire roll down the parking lot.

Eventually it fell over and as we watched it burn it made a very soft whump, the bead came up and the fire went out.

So it worked, but I'll never be involved in that again.

• gopher, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 7 others have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 16165 Thanks
  • 8980 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 08:30 AM

Saw Hugh do it on Ice Road Trucker one time out in the middle of no where.  Not something I would consider.

• gopher, Kster526, afarmboy and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Banjopicker10 OFFLINE  

Banjopicker10

paddle faster i hear banjos!!!!!!!

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 95950
  • 934 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 08:32 AM

when i change tires i use soap and water mixed in a spray bottle.

• gopher, Kster526, afarmboy and 2 others have said thanks

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 18638 Thanks
  • 11806 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 08:32 AM

What do you do instead? I've got an 8" tire that was strapped and is shaped weird.

• Kster526, 4getgto, afarmboy and 3 others have said thanks

#8 4getgto OFFLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 5960 Thanks
  • 2206 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 09:52 AM

What do you do instead? I've got an 8" tire that was strapped and is shaped weird.

If you want to go tubeless I've had to put a tube in the tire (without rim) and blow the tube up and let set for few days so it regains its shape more....some tires are almost impossible if you don't. Some that get shipped are as flat as pancakes... At least you can slide a tube in ...
  • LilysDad, propane1, Kster526 and 4 others have said thanks

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13288 Thanks
  • 5895 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 09:56 AM

Put a tube in it.  Tire shops have that air blaster thing they blow in between the tire and rim. 

Noel

• Kster526, 4getgto, afarmboy and 2 others have said thanks

#10 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 21267 Thanks
  • 7109 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 10:40 AM

Would think that using brake cleaner or anything explosive is a bad way to try and seat a small tire - might be a good way to learn about the Big Bang Theory first hand though it might also be the last thing you learn in this life.  :(

Small tires flattened during storage and shipping can be a challenge to seat.  First make sure that there is no valve core in the valve stem as the core will restrict what little amount of air you can get inside the tire trying to inflate it.  I have found that getting one side of the tire seated on the rim helps quite a bit - good soapy water (or WD40) on both the rim and the tire bead makes the tire slide on and seat easier.  You can use a piece of wood about the size of a hockey stick (1"x1-1/2") x 12" long to push against the rubber from the inside to force the tire onto and over the rim bead - may have to use a rubber mallet to hit the stick.  Do not use a screwdriver or anything metal as it may puncture or gouge the rubber.   If you have a press you can try using a short 2x4 across two or more 2x4's sitting on each side of the rim on top of the tire to press the tire down onto the rim - put a spacer underneath the rim so that it sits up on top of the press frame.  If you can get the one side seated then you can usually use a ratchet strap around the center of the tire as this usually helps force the tire wall outwards so it is closer to seating on the other side.  If you have a length of rope you can try wrapping that around the rim several times at the open side to seal where the air is escaping. Try putting the air to it and see if it will seal enough to start the tire to seal on the rim and then if it does keep applying the air and start remove the remaining rope that is caught.

Another suggestion would be to cut about 6 strips of sheet metal about 3/8" - 1/2" wide and about 3" long.  Remove any sharp edge from the sides and ends of the strips.  Bend one end at 90° about 1/2" from the end and then hook it inside the tire and pull the tire up so it is snug against the rim and bend it over top of the rim edge so the metal now resembles a flat "S" hook.  Repeat this around the edge of the tire - might only need 4 to get the tire edge close enough to seal and take air.  Lubricate the tire at the sheet metal locations and try inflating - if the tire starts to seat stop and install the valve core and then reapply air so that the tire is just nicely starting to seat and stop applying the air.  Bend the sheet metal pieces up one at a time and clamp a pair of vise grips to them and pull them out. The sheet metal should be thin enough that the tire will start to slip up over them and that once the tire starts to seat you can pull on them and they should unbend enough to let them slip out from between the tire and the rim.    

As suggested putting a tube inside and inflating it with the tire off so that the tire regains its shape and let it sit should work as well. 

Another option is to take them to a tire shop and get them to inflate them for you.

Just some suggestions that may help - good luck

Edited by 29 Chev, January 13, 2021 - 10:41 AM.

• gopher, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 6 others have said thanks

#11 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4735 Thanks
  • 2807 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 11:33 AM

I have never used it but have seen the suggestion. Cut several short sticks to place inside the tire between the beads. Sticks long enough to spread the tire considerably wider than the width of the rim. Let the tire set that way for a day, preferably in the sun or other heat. let it cool over night and install in the n morning.

Don 

• gopher, Kster526 and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#12 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 3929 Thanks
  • 2088 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 11:43 AM

I've done it several times on a 40 year old tire without any problems.  Don't go crazy with the starting fluid.  You also have to have the air ready to put into the tire before it cools down and unseats.  

• gopher, LilysDad, Kster526 and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 1030 Thanks
  • 665 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 07:18 PM

Put a tube in it.  Tire shops have that air blaster thing they blow in between the tire and rim. 

Noel

The air blasters are known as Cheetah's, they come in various sizes.

• gopher, propane1, Kster526 and 3 others have said thanks

#14 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 836 Thanks
  • 804 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 07:44 PM

Google using plastic bucket to seal tire bead. I've used it on few stubborn tires works better with helper. 

• KennyP, LilysDad, Kster526 and 2 others have said thanks

#15 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6714 Thanks
  • 4542 posts

Posted January 13, 2021 - 08:02 PM

Most of the Brake clean has Chlorine in it. Not something you should be breathing. I've used Ether based starting fluid in the past and it works good if you really need it. I always take the valve core out when seating the tire. You can get alot more air in alot faster with it removed.  

• gopher, Kster526, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks