• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TinkerSmith OFFLINE  

TinkerSmith
  • Member No: 102232
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 09:52 AM

Hi, new member here, yes I have been bitten. The '73 SS16 is my second purchase in a 2 month time line I also have a ST 16 1974 vintage. My SS16 with the Onan BF/MS engine runs great at full throttle but at partial it surges or hunts, and it will just die if you try to idle it. I am wondering if this is only related to the carburetor or is the governor a known culprit for this. I will be starting a carb inspection soon so I can get this right before we get any more snow here in Michigan. Motor does not smoke, does not make any unusual noises.

• jcp7hp said thank you

#2 jcp7hp ONLINE  

jcp7hp

( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 96592
  • 1163 Thanks
  • 584 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 01:12 PM

Hi, new member here, yes I have been bitten. The '73 SS16 is my second purchase in a 2 month time line I also have a ST 16 1974 vintage. My SS16 with the Onan BF/MS engine runs great at full throttle but at partial it surges or hunts, and it will just die if you try to idle it. I am wondering if this is only related to the carburetor or is the governor a known culprit for this. I will be starting a carb inspection soon so I can get this right before we get any more snow here in Michigan. Motor does not smoke, does not make any unusual noises.

Hello,  :welcometogttalk: . Id recommend cleaning up the jets with a wire brush or just buy new jets or a carb. Link here! 

https://www.ebay.com...2sAAOSwHVVf6n2K

• TinkerSmith said thank you

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 2622 Thanks
  • 2147 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 01:24 PM

sounds like the idle jet is clogged 

• jcp7hp and TinkerSmith have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6707 Thanks
  • 4541 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 03:58 PM

It might have some water laying in the bottom of the carb or your jets are plugged or it's adjusted incorrectly. If taking it apart completely and giving it a very good cleaning and adjusting it does not help it could be a fuel pump issue.

This ethanol gas is very very hard on the fuel pump diaphragms and rubber valves inside of fuel pumps. What ever you do, do not buy a cheap $10 aftermarket fuel pump. I've had nothing but bad luck with those aftermarket pumps and went though 3 of them in less than 1 year on my mowing tractor. I got 2 days out of 1, 1 month out of the 2nd 1 and 8 months out of the 3rd one before I bought a OEM pump for $48.  

If your fuel pump is rebuildable? buy a rebuild kit for it if you can find 1.      

• chieffan and jcp7hp have said thanks

#5 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 3223 Thanks
  • 1420 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 08:59 PM

Most likely you have a two piece intake and those are known to leak. Or your pilot jet is clogged or it is just set to lean. I am not sure about it being the fuel pump because most of the time when you have an issue with a low flowing fuel pump you have issues with high rpms and load not the opposite. 

• Leonard VanCamp, chieffan and jcp7hp have said thanks