• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 17, 2021 - 05:18 PM

Glad to hear that you have the engine back together and running.  Nice to accomplish a project that has been set aside for a while and know that your work and waiting was not in vain.  If it was me I would leave the ID plate alone - get things looking too pretty and it might never get used in a future project - just my 1.25 cents.

So true, I probably spend too much time trying to make things look better. I guess it might be because of growing up and watching how my Dad finished his projects. He wouldn't usually bother to pretty things up much, if at all, as long as it worked that was good enough for him. Used to drive me nutz! Just me maybe.

• KennyP, bprzyw, nsengineer and 1 other said thanks

#32 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 22132 Thanks
  • 7329 posts

Posted January 18, 2021 - 11:34 AM

Your dad was probably old school where making something look prettier added to the expense of a project both in materials and time and the funds that would have been required were probably already allocated elsewhere.  I remember talking to a shop teacher a couple of years ago and he said the hardest students to educate in making things were sons or daughters of farmers.  They could fix or make almost anything but there was very little pride in the quality of their workmanship and as a result the item functioned but was not always pretty looking.  Having been raised on a farm I understood what he meant as it wasn't until I got my first car that it was important for it to look nice as well as function properly.  Sometimes I succeeded and sometimes not so much.

• Dave in NY, bprzyw, kjmweld and 3 others have said thanks

#33 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 18, 2021 - 08:28 PM

Your dad was probably old school where making something look prettier added to the expense of a project both in materials and time and the funds that would have been required were probably already allocated elsewhere.  I remember talking to a shop teacher a couple of years ago and he said the hardest students to educate in making things were sons or daughters of farmers.  They could fix or make almost anything but there was very little pride in the quality of their workmanship and as a result the item functioned but was not always pretty looking.  Having been raised on a farm I understood what he meant as it wasn't until I got my first car that it was important for it to look nice as well as function properly.  Sometimes I succeeded and sometimes not so much.

Well said! I also grew up on a farm and Grandparents on Mom's side had a farm too. Must be I didn't fit the mold because I usually [not always] try to "do things right". And just like you stated- sometimes that works out, sometimes not.

• bprzyw, 29 Chev and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#34 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 18, 2021 - 09:00 PM

I did another short run again today of about 20 minutes. Fresh oil but no air-cleaner yet. It barked on the first pull and started on the second pull of the rope. I had to tweak the idle mixture screw as it sounded a bit raspy before it got warmed up. I had set the high and low mixture needles when it was warm during the first session. It was close, but acts and sounds better now. Same as before, I drained the oil right after shutting it off. Oil looked way better than from the first run. A little off color but not too bad. I suspect that all the grease I used for assembly lube and the new rings, piston getting acquainted with a fresh bore are the reason for the off color. I also didn't wash the block surgically clean either. Just a session in the parts washer tank and blew it dry with the air hose. That might be part of it too. I don't see any obvious metal flakes so that's good. I'll just keep running it and changing the oil till it looks clear. Been using 10-30 from the local bargain dollar type store. When I figure its douched out it will get some better oil. I just painted the air-cleaner pieces this afternoon. Maybe next run it will have an air-cleaner on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• #2 001.JPG

• KennyP, bprzyw and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#35 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted February 21, 2021 - 04:20 PM

I haven't played with this motor in awhile. I did get the air-cleaner on it and changed the oil again a couple weeks ago. I ran it again for maybe 20 minutes and then drained the oil for inspection. Oil looked fine, pretty much like it did when I poured it in the motor. So I guess anything that was going to "wear in" has done so and everything internal is now happy. So this afternoon being sunny and not terribly cold I wheeled it outside for another run. Started right up with 2 pulls on the rope. Let it run about 15 minutes.  Sounds good and no exhaust smoke or odd noises, no signs of any oil leakage. It should be a good runner. Not sure if it will go into storage temporarily or I will start on another tractor project that it will get used on. Going to see how the Tecumseh project goes before I decide.

Attached Thumbnails

• run 001.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, Merle013 and 1 other said thanks