• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 01, 2021 - 09:05 AM

I'll keep experimenting with it. Truthfully the pics seem the best if I just leave settings that allow it to remain on Auto, let the camera decide what it wants, and avoid reflective surfaces. But I'll keep trying.
  • KennyP, bprzyw and nsengineer have said thanks

#17 kg5000 OFFLINE  

kg5000
  • Member No: 89193
  • 251 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted January 01, 2021 - 09:47 AM

Nice project! The build looks great so far.  Your pirctures are fine, and what you are trying to show, those who know can identify it in your pics.  Most smart phones today can take a decent picture that can be uplaoded (if that is an option).  I take numerous pictures of automotive parts everyday that are upladed to the manufacturer.  At times light is an issue, but focus as well like your valves.  My phone is relatively new so it's an easy tap on the screen for focus.  Anyway, I like that you have your own valve grinder and what you mentioned I was taught as well.  I like your ignition upgrade idea, I would try it.  Use the bushings if it doesn't work.  You can always go back to original.  Thanks for sharing the progress.  What is this engine ultimatley going on?

• KennyP, Dave in NY, bprzyw and 1 other said thanks

#18 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 01, 2021 - 10:27 AM

Nice project! The build looks great so far.  Your pirctures are fine, and what you are trying to show, those who know can identify it in your pics.  Most smart phones today can take a decent picture that can be uplaoded (if that is an option).  I take numerous pictures of automotive parts everyday that are upladed to the manufacturer.  At times light is an issue, but focus as well like your valves.  My phone is relatively new so it's an easy tap on the screen for focus.  Anyway, I like that you have your own valve grinder and what you mentioned I was taught as well.  I like your ignition upgrade idea, I would try it.  Use the bushings if it doesn't work.  You can always go back to original.  Thanks for sharing the progress.  What is this engine ultimatley going on?

I have used my iPhone for pics and they usually turn out ok. I just have an issue with the pics being sideways sometimes. And I have tried holding the phone in various positions, just didn't seem to matter at times what I did. Just find it easier to grab the camera and do it that way. This Kodak is the "garage camera", I wouldn't dream of taking the "good camera" out to the workshop. I'd probably end up dropping it or something. I have had the valve grinding equipment for many years now. Got a box full of guides, stones, etc to do the valve seats too. I used to do a fair amount of motor work back in my younger years and bought up tools, etc. to help with my projects. I was heavy into small and big block Mopars back then. But now I mostly just putter with small stuff like these Bolens tractors, etc. I don't have a definite use in mind for this motor, but do have a couple of thoughts. Depending on how well it acts after its back together and running. One thought is to mount it on my 1054 in place of the motor I repowered it with, and the other idea is to use it for a Bolens oriented toy. I have various pieces, parts for tube frame tractors stashed away, wouldn't be too hard to build a "throw together" tractor just for everyone's amusement. Just my thoughts at the present. Basically I am back at this project just to have something to do over the cold days of winter. That and having a motor in a hundred pieces makes it pretty much worthless.
  • KennyP, bprzyw and nsengineer have said thanks

#19 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 08, 2021 - 06:53 PM

Life has kept me quite busy these last few days so this project is going slowly. I pretty much have the basic works of it back together. Clearances set "by the book", and rod, head bolts torqued. I still have the bulk of the sheet metal to sand and prime yet. Got to check over the gas tank and carburetor yet. I decided to put the original bearing support back in place. I kind of wanted to experiment with the solid state ignition system taken from the 12hp. motor but decided against it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• motor 001.JPG
  • motor 002.JPG
  • motor 003.JPG

• bprzyw, 29 Chev, nsengineer and 1 other said thanks

#20 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 22132 Thanks
  • 7329 posts

Posted January 08, 2021 - 06:57 PM

Coming along well - going to look nice when you get it painted up.

• Dave in NY, bprzyw and nsengineer have said thanks

#21 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 15, 2021 - 07:27 PM

Well this week has been pretty much a repeat of the week before, busy, busy!  I have managed to get most of the pieces sanded, primed and a coat of paint on them. I thought about the choice of color for awhile and finally decided on the off white. If for some reason I end up using this motor on an older version of tube frame that has the darker cordovan brown it shouldn't be any trouble to respray it. I used the junk 12hp. block as a template to brew up a quick cradle to mount the motor on for a test fire. Now just have to get another few hours time for the final assembly and maybe in a few days I can bring it to life again. 

Attached Thumbnails

• parts 002.JPG
  • parts 003.JPG
  • parts 004.JPG
  • parts 001.JPG

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, bprzyw and 3 others have said thanks

#22 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 1088 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted January 15, 2021 - 09:24 PM

Nice to have a spare engine ready for another project.

• Dave in NY, bprzyw and 29 Chev have said thanks

#23 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 16, 2021 - 05:45 PM

Nice to have a spare engine ready for another project.

Yes, and it will be nice to have it back together in one piece instead of in a whole bunch of pieces too.

Edited by Dave in NY, January 17, 2021 - 08:55 AM.

• KennyP, bprzyw and kjmweld have said thanks

#24 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 16, 2021 - 06:47 PM

Today I actually found myself with a few hours time to get out in the garage and work on the motor. I hadn't expected this as we had plenty of other things we needed to do. We were up and at 'em early and got the all the errands and household chores done by lunch time. This gave me a free afternoon to putter. Haven't had an afternoon to myself in a while. Not complaining, just sayin'. So- I got right after it and pieced it back together for a test run. This is pretty down and dirty but it worked fine. I clamped the cradle to my firewood mover and that seemed to be plenty sturdy enough to run the motor on. Had I known that I would end up getting the motor together enough to run it today, I would have had some new fuel hose on hand. I had to use some already used pieces that were stashed in my collection of useful things. I also set the points using a continuity tester following the procedure in the Wisconsin manual. I had initially set the gap with a 020. feeler gauge and it was real close. Just a slight tweak and the light would go out when the timing marks lined up. The start up went well after I removed an almost new Autolite plug and put an old Champion in it. I haven't had good luck with Autolite plugs in Wisconsin motors myself. Wasn't sure how well it would start with a rope, but it worked ok. I didn't have time to bolt up a starter/generator for todays session. I set the idle speed screw for a rather fast idle and let it run for about 20 minutes. I would occasionally give it some throttle and rev it up a bit. There was just a bit of blue smoke out the exhaust for a couple of minutes and that cleared right up. I was quite generous with oil on the moving parts as it was assembled so that was to be expected. I also gave the camshaft and lifters a good dose of grease and a blob to hold the ball in the side plate that mates to the spring in the end of the camshaft. The oil turned off color rather quickly and that was no surprise either. Drained the oil and retorqued the head bolts while it was still warm. I still have to clean the air cleaner elbow and tin housing and get them painted. I didn't figure running it with no filter out in the fresh air for a short while would hurt anything. It sounded good and I don't see any leaks so far, so I am happy with what I saw on this first run. In the first two pictures it is running.

Attached Thumbnails

• teat 001.JPG
  • teat 002.JPG
  • teat 003.JPG

• KennyP, bprzyw, 29 Chev and 5 others have said thanks

#25 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3584 Thanks
  • 1323 posts

Posted January 16, 2021 - 07:04 PM

That's all good news I'd think. It really came together nicely. Do you have a plan for it yet?
  • bprzyw said thank you

#26 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 16, 2021 - 09:44 PM

That's all good news I'd think. It really came together nicely. Do you have a plan for it yet?

Well, I haven't made up my mind yet on where it end up. Have had thoughts of removing all the non-original parts, pieces that went on the 1054 tractor when I repowered it, and puting it back close to its original configuration. That's one thought. Another idea is to build a Bolens oriented tractor from some of the left overs I seem to have accumulated. But these are just thoughts at the present. I wasn't feeling like starting right in on another tractor project just yet after getting the H14 going, so this motor is just something to help me pass some time during these troubling times and the cold of winter. Kind of looking like I need to dig out something else to tinker on soon.
  • KennyP, bprzyw, kjmweld and 2 others have said thanks

#27 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 52566 Thanks
  • 53108 posts

Posted January 17, 2021 - 05:41 AM

Glad you got to piddle a while. Good therapy! Nice to see the engine running!

• Dave in NY and bprzyw have said thanks

#28 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 17, 2021 - 11:36 AM

Glad you got to piddle a while. Good therapy! Nice to see the engine running!

Yes, its projects like this that keep me going, I guess that "therapy" would be a good analogy. And yes its nice to see it run again. But then, it would run before I ripped it apart too. LOL Now it just runs better!

• bprzyw said thank you

#29 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2493 Thanks
  • 877 posts

Posted January 17, 2021 - 11:50 AM

Got looking at some air-cleaner pieces today. I went and dug out the assembly that was on a TR-10D that I parted out several years ago. The decal on that housing is pretty much messed up and there are plenty of scratches and a bit of surface rust showing so I won't feel bad about sanding it off for a prime and repaint. The original housing that came on this motor has a fairly decent decal on it so I am going to set that one aside as a survivor piece. The paint is a bit chipped up so its kind of a so-what issue. I also got to looking at the ID plate that goes to this motor and have been wondering if I should try to clean the overspray from years ago off the edges or just leave it alone. I would rather leave it as is than mess up what remains of the original color and design. Again sort of a so-what issue.

Attached Thumbnails

• tag 002.JPG
  • tag 003.JPG
  • tag 001.JPG

• bprzyw, 29 Chev and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#30 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 22132 Thanks
  • 7329 posts

Posted January 17, 2021 - 12:09 PM

Glad to hear that you have the engine back together and running.  Nice to accomplish a project that has been set aside for a while and know that your work and waiting was not in vain.  If it was me I would leave the ID plate alone - get things looking too pretty and it might never get used in a future project - just my 1.25 cents.

• Dave in NY and bprzyw have said thanks