• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 30, 2020 - 05:46 PM

I was up in my storage barn rummaging around a couple of weeks ago and found a project that I had stashed away back a couple, three years ago. Wisconsin TRA10-D that I bought at one of the tractor/engine shows I usually attend. Fellow down one of the gas engine rows had it out for "flea" and I scarfed it up. It had the heat shield/partition bolted on it still and obviously was from a tube frame Bolens tractor. I got it running shortly after bringing it home but it had a bunch of piston slap, low compression, valve clatter, blue smoke. It was tired!  Was unmolested and complete, but quite tired. I tore it down and started looking for parts to refresh it. Bought an oversize replacement piston and another connecting rod. Had the block bored/honed for the new piston and that's pretty much where the project ground to a halt. I ended up greasing and oiling everything that would rust and stashed it away in the barn for possibly returning to at some time. Well I guess that time is now. It does no-one or me either any good sitting there in a hundred or more pieces. So I dragged it down to the garage and have been cleaning the grease and oil off, checking tunings over. I recently ordered up crank-seals, gaskets, valve guides and piston rings. The valve stems were right at the edge of being in spec still so I will try that. I'll know more when I get the new guides pressed in the block. I had put all the small parts, bolts, etc. in various cans and jars and in a plastic crate, and all the other pieces except the block in another crate. So this thing was all grouped together and should be all there still. I have quite a few items still to cycle through the parts washer. I took time today to clean up the valve faces on the Kwik-Way grinder, they should be ok. I'll know for sure when I lap them to the seats. Some people don't believe in lapping valves but that's the way I learned it and what I usually do. Works for me. I cleaned up the areas where gaskets go with a fiber disc on the angle grinder. That works pretty good, and is quick too.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wisconsin 001.JPG
  • Wisconsin 002.JPG
  • Wisconsin 003.JPG
  • Wisconsin 005.JPG
  • Wisconsin 006.JPG
  • Wisconsin 007.JPG
  • Wisconsin 009.JPG

• jhn9840, KennyP, boyscout862 and 12 others have said thanks

#2 BolensFanatic1988 OFFLINE  

BolensFanatic1988
  • Member No: 9637
  • 95 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted December 30, 2020 - 08:08 PM

That’s sweet! Gonna be a beast with that oversized piston. Keep us posted
  • bprzyw, nsengineer and afarmboy have said thanks

#3 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 30, 2020 - 08:09 PM

While I was typing up the first post the USPS delivered me a package with crank seals and valve guides. Of course I just had to go back out and get the guides pressed in place. I put the plastic bag with the guides in it out on top of a snowbank for a while to hopefully shrink them a bit before I installed them. Don't think it made a lot of difference, the press pushed them right in. I have a guide tool made from an old drill-bit that works good on these smaller Wisconsin motors. I also got out the lapping stick and compound and did a quick check of how the valves will mate to the seats. Looks good enough to me, the contact area is pretty much near the center of the valves faces, and the seats polished up good too. I didn't bother with checking the actual stem clearance with the dial indicator. Just going by "feel" on it and there isn't what I would consider to be excessive clearance. For what I am going to use this motor for it will be just fine. Not sure if my pictures will show the detail very well.

Attached Thumbnails

• valve 002.JPG
  • valve 003.JPG
  • valve 004.JPG
  • valve 005.JPG
  • valve 006.JPG

• jhn9840, KennyP, Newpaws493 and 6 others have said thanks

#4 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 30, 2020 - 08:13 PM

I've tried about every setting on that camera and I have trouble with flash and exposure especially with something that is shiny or reflective. Wasn't a very expensive camera. Ya get what ya pay for. so they say.

• KennyP, bprzyw, 29 Chev and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 30, 2020 - 08:23 PM

That’s sweet! Gonna be a beast with that oversized piston. Keep us posted

I'm not sure how much of a beast it will be. I am just hoping for a reasonably good running motor. I don't think it will be on a tractor that I depend on for hard work. We will see how it turns out.  Thinking of creating a Bolens tube frame oriented toy. That's a maybe. Like I said, we'll see how well it runs and go from there.

Edited by Dave in NY, December 30, 2020 - 08:29 PM.

• KennyP, bprzyw, nsengineer and 2 others have said thanks

#6 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 11:57 AM

I've tried about every setting on that camera and I have trouble with flash and exposure especially with something that is shiny or reflective. Wasn't a very expensive camera. Ya get what ya pay for. so they say.

Sometimes the flash can create as many problems as it solves -- my old Kodak camera allows me to turn off the flash if I want so I sometimes do that and then use a trouble light (or flashlight) to illuminate what I am trying to take a picture of - use it as more of a back light so you don't get the reflective glare that the flash creates - just a suggestion. 

• KennyP, Dave in NY, bprzyw and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 12:35 PM

Sometimes the flash can create as many problems as it solves -- my old Kodak camera allows me to turn off the flash if I want so I sometimes do that and then use a trouble light (or flashlight) to illuminate what I am trying to take a picture of - use it as more of a back light so you don't get the reflective glare that the flash creates - just a suggestion.

Very true. I also find that the floursent lighting has an effect on the picture quality, natural light seems to be best. This camera is a Kodak also, and I can turn the flash off if I want. Usually does ok till there is something that will reflect, or has a gloss. I probably just need to experiment with it a bit more. My older Kodak that pooped out took much better pics than this one. And this one is supposed to be an improved model. Go figure.
  • KennyP, bprzyw, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 52500 Thanks
  • 53091 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 03:10 PM

I use a Nikon S3300. Has a view screen on the back. Sometimes have to move around a bit to get rid of the 'mirror' effect!

• Dave in NY, bprzyw and nsengineer have said thanks

#9 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 03:29 PM

Very true. I also find that the floursent lighting has an effect on the picture quality, natural light seems to be best. This camera is a Kodak also, and I can turn the flash off if I want. Usually does ok till there is something that will reflect, or has a gloss. I probably just need to experiment with it a bit more. My older Kodak that pooped out took much better pics than this one. And this one is supposed to be an improved model. Go figure.

What model of Kodak is it? 

There may be a resolution setting that you can adjust to get better quality images.  The one I use I have set to 480 pixels per inch which results in an image size of 8.27" x 6.20" which works not too bad for me.  When I get done for the day I pop the SD card out and download them to my PC, select the ones I want and edit / change the physical size to about 3" x 2.25" but leave the pixel setting locked and then I upload them when I do a post.

#10 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 04:36 PM

What model of Kodak is it? 

There may be a resolution setting that you can adjust to get better quality images.  The one I use I have set to 480 pixels per inch which results in an image size of 8.27" x 6.20" which works not too bad for me.  When I get done for the day I pop the SD card out and download them to my PC, select the ones I want and edit / change the physical size to about 3" x 2.25" but leave the pixel setting locked and then I upload them when I do a post.

This camera is an Easy Share C15. I will play around with the settings some more and see if I can get some improvement. I found a setting for white balance and set that at fluorescent. I will do some experimentation.

• bprzyw, 29 Chev and nsengineer have said thanks

#11 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 05:14 PM

Waiting for the rings and gaskets to show up. They should be here in a few days. So meanwhile I have been cleaning parts, pieces, hardware. I got to wondering if the solid state ignition system from a TRA12-D would fit on a TRA10-D. I parted out a 12-D that had a broken camshaft and cracked block back a while ago. I saved anything and everything else that looked serviceable. I found that the bearing carrier from the 12hp motor will bolt right in this 10hp motor. Everything lines right up and the 12hp flywheel fits the 10hp crankshaft. The only possible issue I see is that the bearing carrier for the 10hp motor mounts with 1/4" bolts and the carrier for the 12hp motor takes 5/16" bolts. So that could be overcome by using bushings 5/16" O.D. x 1/4" I.D. to make up the difference. Or could just bolt it together and use the extra wiggle to either advance or retard the timing a bit by where the carrier was tightened down. At least in theory that would work. I believe it would be a tedious process to do adjustments though. Have to remove the air shroud and flywheel to do it. Then reassemble the flywheel and shroud and hope you had it where you wanted it. If not take it apart and start over. The other issue would be plugging up the holes through the block where the push pin for the points and screw that secures the condenser so oil wouldn't leak out. Probably just leave the push pin installed, so if there was an issue with the solid state ignition it would be easy to switch back to the original points system. So it seems to me that a conversion to the newer ignition system could be done on the 10hp motors by using parts from a donor 12hp. At least I believe it could. I don't think there would be, but suppose there could be a balance issue by switching flywheels. Other than the magnets added on the 12hp. motor the flywheels appear the same. So now I'm wondering if I want to try this experiment just to see if it will work or just leave well enough alone and put it back together like Wisconsin Motors built it. Decisions, decisions!

Attached Thumbnails

• ignition 001.JPG
  • ignition 002.JPG
  • ignition 003.JPG
  • ignition 004.JPG
  • ignition 005.JPG
  • ignition 006.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, December 31, 2020 - 05:16 PM.

• KennyP, bprzyw, Leonard VanCamp and 5 others have said thanks

#12 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 05:35 PM

This camera uses an SD card too, but I find it easier to plug the camera onto the cord and load pics that way. Just works easier for me. With the old camera I always popped the card out to download to the laptop.

Attached Thumbnails

• cord 001.JPG

• KennyP, bprzyw, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#13 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 05:58 PM

Just trying out a couple of changes to the settings. I think possibly there's a small improvement. Not what I want yet though.

Attached Thumbnails

• test 001.JPG
  • test 004.JPG
  • test 002.JPG
  • test 003.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, December 31, 2020 - 06:00 PM.

• KennyP, bprzyw, 29 Chev and 3 others have said thanks

#14 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted December 31, 2020 - 06:38 PM

I would say they are a slight improvement but it almost seems like the images aren't quite as (in focus) crisp as they should be - don't suppose the lens is a little bit out of alignment - not shaped quite right.  If you haven't had it very long might want to see if the company you got it from might exchange it for you - just a thought.

• KennyP, Dave in NY, bprzyw and 1 other said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 52500 Thanks
  • 53091 posts

Posted January 01, 2021 - 05:49 AM

I have found using more light helps keep the flash reflection down where I can. I have mine set for a high resolution so I can crop the pic and keep the 'fuzzy' from showing.