• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 5909 Thanks
  • 2193 posts

Posted December 20, 2020 - 02:13 PM

Had a sale going on and decided to pick one up. Haven't used it yet nor did I ever use one. I did watch a bunch of videos of them and they look as though they make things a little easier. I've done many of tires the old fashion way and they're (most) aren't to bad . But sometimes especially on the smaller tires you feel like a monkey doing a football. I'll let you know what I think as I have a few to change in a week or so.

IMG_20201220_135202.jpg

Edited by 4getgto, December 20, 2020 - 02:15 PM.

• KennyP, boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp and 4 others have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6707 Thanks
  • 4541 posts

Posted December 20, 2020 - 04:25 PM

Nice. Make sure you bolt it down to the floor or a really heavy built work bench. If you have a big Vice you can bolt 2 heavy pieces of L channel to the bottom and clamp it in your vice. 

The smaller tires especially the older ones are a HUGE pain in the :toilethead:  to change. I bent a decent sized crowbar taking an old rock hard Goodyear tire off. It was a 13x5.00-6 4 ply tire off of an old JC Penny that was so stiff that I ended up cutting the 2nd one off because it took 1/4 as long to do. I would of just changed the rims but the spindles were 1/2" instead of a normal 3/4" or larger that you usually see on a tractor that size.        

• Kster526, 4getgto, IHCubCadet147 and 1 other said thanks

#3 jcp7hp ONLINE  

jcp7hp

( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 96592
  • 1163 Thanks
  • 584 posts

Posted December 20, 2020 - 05:56 PM

Wow that looks like a handy tool! Might have to pick up one cause that looks pretty decent! Better than waiting 2 months and 100$ to get them done at NTB!
  • Kster526, 4getgto and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15087 Thanks
  • 9967 posts

Posted December 20, 2020 - 08:19 PM

I bought one about 15 years ago when they were on sale. It works well on small tires but the 12" and bigger I take to my regular car tire changer. If you change 12" tires on it, a couple of 10" tire spoons help a lot. 

I mounted mine horizontally on the end of a very heavy work bench. It seems to work well that way. I've probably changed 50 or more tires on it and wish that it came with a third plastic spacer. Keep a couple of ratchet straps with it to help when inflating. Good Luck, Rick

• EricFromPa, 4getgto, IHCubCadet147 and 1 other said thanks

#5 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 5909 Thanks
  • 2193 posts

Posted December 21, 2020 - 05:24 AM

I bought one about 15 years ago when they were on sale. It works well on small tires but the 12" and bigger I take to my regular car tire changer. If you change 12" tires on it, a couple of 10" tire spoons help a lot. 
I mounted mine horizontally on the end of a very heavy work bench. It seems to work well that way. I've probably changed 50 or more tires on it and wish that it came with a third plastic spacer. Keep a couple of ratchet straps with it to help when inflating. Good Luck, Rick

Appreciate the feedback. I got this hoping it will make things easier on smaller tires meaning 6" 8" maybe 10". Any rim with a open center with lug nut bolt pattern a garage in town can do them much easier on a machine than me. 👍
  • boyscout862, IHCubCadet147 and jcp7hp have said thanks

#6 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 5909 Thanks
  • 2193 posts

Posted December 23, 2020 - 10:41 AM

Trying to update post...

Edited by 4getgto, December 23, 2020 - 10:46 AM.

• KennyP and jcp7hp have said thanks

#7 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 5909 Thanks
  • 2193 posts

Posted December 23, 2020 - 11:50 AM

A little update as my tires are "suppose" to here today and figured I'd get the old ones off. Just dismounting for now.
First tire came off great. Really excited I was. Almost too easy. The tire and rim were really clean and no rust so that was big plus. Worked great.
IMG_20201223_091740.jpg
Second one NOT so much. Struggled mightily on this one. The bead breaker has a little to be desired. Even on the first tire a little. Second one I got one side pushed down but the other side wasn't happening. Had to pound that side down with a hammer and dull chisel . Just couldn't get it with their bead breaker.

The tool bar they give you to take the tire off rim works good even on the rusted tire and rim. So that was a big help.
I'll be back soon and let you know how that goes.

IMG_20201223_091815.jpg
  • KennyP, IHCubCadet147 and jcp7hp have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 51789 Thanks
  • 52887 posts

Posted December 23, 2020 - 02:25 PM

A little update as my tires are "suppose" to here today and figured I'd get the old ones off. Just dismounting for now.
First tire came off great. Really excited I was. Almost too easy. The tire and rim were really clean and no rust so that was big plus. Worked great.
attachicon.gifIMG_20201223_091740.jpg
Second one NOT so much. Struggled mightily on this one. The bead breaker has a little to be desired. Even on the first tire a little. Second one I got one side pushed down but the other side wasn't happening. Had to pound that side down with a hammer and dull chisel . Just couldn't get it with their bead breaker.

The tool bar they give you to take the tire off rim works good even on the rusted tire and rim. So that was a big help.
I'll be back soon and let you know how that goes.

attachicon.gifIMG_20201223_091815.jpg

Second wheel had slime in it, I bet!

• 4getgto and jcp7hp have said thanks

#9 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 5909 Thanks
  • 2193 posts

Posted December 23, 2020 - 04:53 PM

Second wheel had slime in it, I bet!

Absolutely right Kenny..! 👍
Worse part is I'm the guilty one...😖
  • KennyP and jcp7hp have said thanks

#10 jcp7hp ONLINE  

jcp7hp

( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 96592
  • 1163 Thanks
  • 584 posts

Posted January 02, 2021 - 11:21 PM

Absolutely right Kenny..! 👍
Worse part is I'm the guilty one...😖

Hey I’m actually about to go pick one up. I can’t see a single video or recording of anyone using another tube into the tire. I just wanna replace a tube. Will this work with replacing a tube? Thanks. Also, will this work with 23/8.50/12 tires? It says it can go up to 12 inch rims..
  • 4getgto said thank you

#11 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 5909 Thanks
  • 2193 posts

Posted January 03, 2021 - 06:48 AM

Hey I’m actually about to go pick one up. I can’t see a single video or recording of anyone using another tube into the tire. I just wanna replace a tube. Will this work with replacing a tube? Thanks. Also, will this work with 23/8.50/12 tires? It says it can go up to 12 inch rims..

I just put a tube in that same exact size tire. And yes it does work on 12" tires but is still a struggle with the bead breaker. I had to pound down the bead on floor as the breaker is kinda wimpy on 12" rims.
  • jcp7hp said thank you

#12 thom ONLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 1193 Thanks
  • 665 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 AM

I bought mine about three years ago, and wish I'd had one years before. It has saved a lot of skinned knuckles and bad words. It's one of the best things I've bought at Harbor Fright. I've changed probably a dozen or more tires with it so far.

Edited by thom, Yesterday, 09:01 AM.

• 4getgto said thank you

#13 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 5909 Thanks
  • 2193 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 AM

I bought mine about three years ago, and wish I'd had one years before. It has saved a lot of skinned knuckles and bad words. It's one of the best things I've bought at Harbor Fright. I've changed probably a dozen or more tires with it so far.

I fine it does help me along. Only done 3 with it so far but have yet to change one exactly like I've seen on some videos..