• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 52004 Thanks
  • 52952 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 11:24 AM

Been thinking again. I have all this. Would make a nice hydraulic lift for the ST/16 maybe.

DSCN5438.JPG   DSCN5439.JPG

• propane1, Leonard VanCamp, 29 Chev and 5 others have said thanks

#2 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4747 Thanks
  • 2814 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 01:00 PM

The pump in the second picture looks like a real cleaning challenge. Some of what you have there I can't even identify. Looks like fun and educational toys to play with. Do you know the function/purpose of the funny shaped cylinder in the return line in the first picture.

Don

• KennyP, Mark 149 J. and 4getgto have said thanks

#3 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 21424 Thanks
  • 7140 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 02:12 PM

You should be able to use the p/s pump to run a small cylinder with a short stroke - the reservoirs on those pumps don't hold a lot of extra fluid and could go low with a long stroke or big bore cylinder when the piston is extended.  Another option would be to add a second reservoir so there is more fluid available - with the pump inside the reservoir cavity the capacity looks larger than it actually is.  Also my experience is that the GM pumps are directional so you will have to turn them the same way that they would on the engine they came off of.  Good luck with your project.

• KennyP, pharmer, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52004 Thanks
  • 52952 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 04:40 PM

The pump in the second picture looks like a real cleaning challenge. Some of what you have there I can't even identify. Looks like fun and educational toys to play with. Do you know the function/purpose of the funny shaped cylinder in the return line in the first picture.

Don

The 'funny shaped cylinder' in the first pic is an oil cooler using the lake water through it.

You should be able to use the p/s pump to run a small cylinder with a short stroke - the reservoirs on those pumps don't hold a lot of extra fluid and could go low with a long stroke or big bore cylinder when the piston is extended.  Another option would be to add a second reservoir so there is more fluid available - with the pump inside the reservoir cavity the capacity looks larger than it actually is.  Also my experience is that the GM pumps are directional so you will have to turn them the same way that they would on the engine they came off of.  Good luck with your project.

Since these came from GM product engines, I feel safe that they are in a clockwise configuration. The shaft on the Kohler turns CC, so I will put the pulley inwards to make it right!

• pharmer, boyscout862, 29 Chev and 4 others have said thanks

#5 pharmer ONLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 1182 Thanks
  • 898 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 05:40 PM

They are clockwise.
  • KennyP and 4getgto have said thanks

#6 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 1032 Thanks
  • 666 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 06:01 PM

If he uses double acting cylinders and fills the system completely he should be ok, the only area he needs to account for is the difference between the shaft and non-shaft sides.

• KennyP, boyscout862, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#7 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 21424 Thanks
  • 7140 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 06:32 PM

If he uses double acting cylinders and fills the system completely he should be ok, the only area he needs to account for is the difference between the shaft and non-shaft sides.

Depends on the length and bore of cylinder - I use a GM p/s pump on one of my Bolens 1050's - has a 1" piston and 6" travel.  Filled the stock reservoir to the full level on the diptstick with all the air out of system and cylinder retracted.  When I extended the cylinder fully the oil level was no longer showing on the dipstick and I could see about 1/2 the pump body when I looked inside the fill hole.  Not a lot of oil left in the reservoir if a line started leaking - might never be a problem but thought I would mention it as a longer stroke or larger bore cylinder would make the oil level even lower when the piston is extended.  

• KennyP, boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52004 Thanks
  • 52952 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 06:44 PM

I'll be using a 4"~ stroke, 1" rod, and 2" bore cylinder. Shouldn't be an issue if I can use the pump in the second pic as it has a bit more reservoir if needed!

• boyscout862, 29 Chev, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9514 Thanks
  • 7279 posts

Posted December 11, 2020 - 11:50 PM

It can be done. And it works quite well. Never had a problem with the one I did. 

20191223_154027.jpg

20191223_154010.jpg

20191223_153930.jpg

• KennyP, pharmer, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 16205 Thanks
  • 8994 posts

Posted December 12, 2020 - 04:53 AM

I used a GM pump to power the torque divider for the power steering on an IH 400 with loader.  Had to keep it at fast idle or above but other than that plenty of power.

• KennyP, pharmer, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52004 Thanks
  • 52952 posts

Posted December 12, 2020 - 05:32 AM

It can be done. And it works quite well. Never had a problem with the one I did. 

attachicon.gif20191223_154027.jpg

attachicon.gif20191223_154010.jpg

attachicon.gif20191223_153930.jpg

Looks like you have the same valve! :thumbs:

#12 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 21424 Thanks
  • 7140 posts

Posted December 12, 2020 - 01:11 PM

I'll be using a 4"~ stroke, 1" rod, and 2" bore cylinder. Shouldn't be an issue if I can use the pump in the second pic as it has a bit more reservoir if needed!

Here is a picture of the reservoir enlargement I did on the unit I used.

A much simpler way would be to cut the fill neck and then clamp a chunk of oil resistant hose in between to add a bit more oil reservoir capacity.  Just a suggestion if you find you are needing more oil volume when the cylinder is extended.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 5 Tank And Valve.jpg

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52004 Thanks
  • 52952 posts

Posted December 15, 2020 - 09:07 AM

Yesterday, I made up a plate to mount the valve/actuating handle on. Used a flap disk on it, then coated it with Rust Reformer. I won't paint it as yet. Need to figure out a mount/location for the tractor. May get the pulps inside today and remove the pulleys from them so I can decide which one I'll use. I'm thinking the vee pulley may not work on the other pump due to the long snout on it. The snow/cold is slowing progress a bunch.

• 29 Chev, 4getgto and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52004 Thanks
  • 52952 posts

Posted December 15, 2020 - 03:26 PM

Got one pulley off!

DSCN5446.JPG

• Mark 149 J., 4getgto, Vrdaddy and 1 other said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52004 Thanks
  • 52952 posts

Posted December 18, 2020 - 09:15 AM

This morning I bought a used double belt pulley of EPAY. It'll be here after Christmas they say. This will help having too much 'snout' ahead of the pump. Weighing options for attaching the pressure hose to the valve right now.

• 29 Chev, Mark 149 J. and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks