12 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 16137 Thanks
  • 8970 posts

Posted December 01, 2020 - 09:39 PM

Several years ago I swore at and off all HP printers.  I had absolutely 0 luck with any of them, let alone the issues to get them set up and work and keep working right.  Had a Canon for the last 5 +years that did a great job at photos and everything and it finally started going South.  Would not print PDF to computer, no color printing, but printed letter and made B&W copies good. Didn't want to get caught with it quitting completely went hunting for a replacement.  Just about everybody and everything was sold out - - except for a $25 HP.  So I bit and bought it.  Unpacked it and no USB cable.  Had an extra I used.  No manual, set up cd, nothing.  Had to download some stupid app in order to get it to work.  Had to search U Tube to find out how/where to load the paper.  Got to go to this hp smart app on some cloud floating around who knows where to make any changes to the printing.  Cannot even get the darn thing registered for warranty purpose.  I came real close to finding out how good the plastic was this things was made of after it took a tumble down the basement steps.  When this one quits or I get [email protected]^  enough at it will be back to a Canon again.  No wonder they only cost $25, you get $100 worth of frustration free!

• boyscout862, MNGB, IHCubCadet147 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 426tractorguy OFFLINE  

426tractorguy

infowars.com

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 1059 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 09:13 AM

lol

• MNGB, chieffan and rgrinder have said thanks

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 5478 Thanks
  • 6780 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 09:43 AM

I've always had HP printers and desktops.  I find them reliable.  The fiance has fits with them.  I have no trouble setting them up on the home network and printing from any of our desktops or laptops.  Her work computer uses a VPN and that has problems getting to the home network to print.  That isn't an HP thing though, it's a work security thing.  

I'll bet it doesn't take long for the ink in a $25.oo printer to run out.  Good luck.  They are all frustrating when they don't work like they should.  

#4 rgrinder OFFLINE  

rgrinder
  • Member No: 97316
  • 34 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 02:19 PM

What operating system are you using?   Go to support.hp.com, click on printers, and select your printer model. From there you should be able to download the necessary drivers that you will need if you are using Windoze. If it is Linux things get a little harder because HP doesn't offer much support.

As an aside, I use Linux and have 2 HP printers that work without issues.

Also if you take the HP emblem on your printer and turn it upside down, you get diy!

• MNGB and chieffan have said thanks

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2652 Thanks
  • 1318 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 06:32 PM

I'm not a fan of HP either.  I've been really happy with my most recent Epson.  Best thing about it is individual color cartridges so I don't have to throw out 3/4 of the ink because I used up the black.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 16137 Thanks
  • 8970 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 08:38 PM

This piece of crap is back in the box and going back to WalMart tomorrow.  Mrs is bringing it back tomorrow.  I was going to see how much black smoke it made.   $25 for the printer with 2 ink cartridges - 2 replacement cartridges were over $30.  How stupid is that.  Going back to a Canon as they don't have Epson in stock.

What operating system are you using?   Go to support.hp.com, click on printers, and select your printer model. From there you should be able to download the necessary drivers that you will need if you are using Windoze. If it is Linux things get a little harder because HP doesn't offer much support.

As an aside, I use Linux and have 2 HP printers that work without issues.

Also if you take the HP emblem on your printer and turn it upside down, you get diy!

Running W10, but support is not that simple with this one.  Have to download an app, something like HP Smart and have to do everything from that app.  Tried to reg the printer but this model isn't listed and would not accept the manual entry model.  At least the next poor sucker might get it reg as a new printer.  I had better luck with Radio Shack computers & Printer than anything HP branded.

• MNGB and rgrinder have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 16137 Thanks
  • 8970 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 08:46 PM

I've always had HP printers and desktops.  I find them reliable.  The fiance has fits with them.  I have no trouble setting them up on the home network and printing from any of our desktops or laptops.  Her work computer uses a VPN and that has problems getting to the home network to print.  That isn't an HP thing though, it's a work security thing.  

I'll bet it doesn't take long for the ink in a $25.oo printer to run out.  Good luck.  They are all frustrating when they don't work like they should.  

My printers are set up with a USB direct to the tower.  We have WiFi but that is only from my laptop in the shop and Carolyn's tablet and my other Linux desk top down in the basement..  We don't get into that hi tech stuff from phones, etc.  We both still use the old reliable flip phones and they work great for phone calls.  Text messages are deleted without even looking at them. If my phone goes down I lose my phone and nothing else.  When you do everything and store everything on you smart phone or some cloud floating over Chine or Russia, your screwed.

#8 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4728 Thanks
  • 2805 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 09:01 PM

Since I never print out actual photos or such I opted for a black and white toner printer built by Brother. a couple of years ago. Just plugged into the wall for power.  All else is wireless. No connectivity problems. No ink problems. Printing manual pages  and such things is dirt cheep. It sets there idle for months and then just works. The quality durability and speed of color printers will have to improve about 500 percent before I will buy another one. If I need a color print done I can hire it done much cheaper than I can do it at home.

Don 

• chieffan and rgrinder have said thanks

#9 rgrinder OFFLINE  

rgrinder
  • Member No: 97316
  • 34 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 11:13 PM

I now understand your frustration and pain, ever since 10 was forced upon the world all I hear is complaints about how hard it is to do anything with it. Caused me to move to Linux, it's different and a learning curve to make it work for me after many, many years of using windows. I keep telling my self that I'm too old to relearn something like this, but then again I don't want to support Bill and Malinda giving away all that money either.

• chieffan said thank you

#10 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 370 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted December 02, 2020 - 11:23 PM

I've had my old HP printer for 17 years and still use it.  I tried an Epson but the ink was gone in 5 pages and cartridges cost as much as the printer.  I can refill my old HP cartridges.

• rgrinder said thank you

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 16137 Thanks
  • 8970 posts

Posted December 03, 2020 - 06:41 PM

HP printer is history. :dancingbanana:   :dancingbanana:   :thumbs:   New Canon is parked in it place.  15 min after it was out of the box it printed a page, and not a test page either..  Had an actual CD to do an install.  Went with the USB so none of the wireless stuff that won't transfer a file to the computer in PDF format. 

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 16137 Thanks
  • 8970 posts

Posted December 03, 2020 - 06:46 PM

I now understand your frustration and pain, ever since 10 was forced upon the world all I hear is complaints about how hard it is to do anything with it. Caused me to move to Linux, it's different and a learning curve to make it work for me after many, many years of using windows. I keep telling my self that I'm too old to relearn something like this, but then again I don't want to support Bill and Malinda giving away all that money either.

I have a computer set up with Linux in the basement. Use it once in a while to get on the internet and that is all.  Tried to get it to print to the old print via WiFi but no luck so gave up on that.  As much as I hate W10 it is the lesser of two evils, trying to learn a new system for everything at 80 is not in the realm of reality.

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 16137 Thanks
  • 8970 posts

Posted December 13, 2020 - 08:50 PM

Beginning to think all printers hate me.  Canon is working fine - except it will not print graphics directly off the internet.  PDF foremate don't print either.  Has to be saved first, then opened and print from there.  I think this is another W10 screw up.  Wants to default to landscape mode all the time and won't stay in portrait.