jcp7hp

( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 96592
  • 1380 Thanks
  • 649 posts

Posted November 22, 2020 - 09:19 PM

Later this winter, when I have some time. I intend on building some wooden tow behind implements for my GT. An idea I had was to build a wooden back blade, and a line maker. (Meaning a 2x4 gets dragged through the dirt. Or could also be used like a “subsoiler” to rip some earth). Any other ideas? I’m trying to make my machine useful. Cause she ain’t dead yet! And I’ve made some pretty solid stuff with wood. I’m sure I can make some stuff. Biggest being the back blade for snow and dirt. Any suggestions?

all replies are thanked  :wave:

• KennyP and afarmboy have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15260 Thanks
  • 10023 posts

Posted November 23, 2020 - 10:07 AM

My father was a carpenter and made wood implements for his Ford 800 tractor. They worked for a while but didn't really hold up. Maybe for very light things but we have such a rock problem that even good steel gets bent. Good Luck, Rick

• 4getgto and jcp7hp have said thanks

#3 4getgto OFFLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 7040 Thanks
  • 2422 posts

Posted November 23, 2020 - 10:47 AM

No pictures but I made a back blade out of an old oak plank (probably a 2x10) many years ago. Put a flat 1/4" x 2" piece of steel on the bottom for a wear bar and added a 3 point hitch for my Roper. Worked ok....
  • jcp7hp said thank you

#4 beast OFFLINE  

beast
  • Member No: 101712
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 23, 2020 - 08:17 PM

the original harrows and ploughs were made of wood, a forked tree trunk made a great pough or holes were drilled thru and pegs driven in to make a spike tooth style drag.

i myself am working on making a leveling drag, a pair of 20 foot tall tree trunks, about 3 inch diameter at the base, with three or four  4 foot long cross poles strapped too them about half way down

the long poles will keep the cross poles from going up and down with the surface irregularities and the shorter ones will drag humps along and drop them into the low spots

just a simple easy implement i learned from my elders, i come from a family of farmers

i might suggest that for what you ant to do, try and find some seasoned ironwood or black locust, both are damned hard to work but will wear a lot longer once youve made your project. both woods were used for making pough posts and beams in the past, i made one myself 30 years ago, black locust post and beam single bottom walking plough. after 28 years the beam finally broke, not decided yet if i wanna rebuild it or not, dont have a horse or harness any longer

btw, im also a blacksmith

• jcp7hp said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy