• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#46 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3667 Thanks
  • 1447 posts

Posted January 06, 2021 - 01:22 PM

Excellent work! You are so detailed in your videos explaining each step and then showing the corresponding build footage. You're doing a great job!

• bprzyw, kjmweld, nsengineer and 1 other said thanks

#47 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • Member No: 89423
  • 836 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted January 09, 2021 - 02:05 PM

A bit more progress on the snow plow. In this video we finish making the clevis forks and get the hydraulic cylinder cleaned up and painted with primer. I was very pleased with how the clevis forks turned out.

• KennyP, Newpaws493, bprzyw and 4 others have said thanks

#48 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 21405 Thanks
  • 7137 posts

Posted January 09, 2021 - 02:57 PM

Great job on the clevises - look very good - nice to see you got the lubrication pump working.  Like the piece of metal and spring set up to hold the work piece square while you clamp it - may have to borrow that idea.

One suggestion I will make is where you stand the work piece (clevis) upright in the video (about 3:36 in) the way it is being clamped may place some sideways pressure on the work piece from the jaws of the mill clamp since you are clamping the metal at only one side of the vise jaw. My experience has been that sometimes the work piece may move because of the clamping pressure not being exerted evenly across the full face of the work piece.  If you placed a short piece of the same thickness metal at the other outer edge of the milling vise then the clamping force would be applied squarely and equally across the face of the work piece.  

Again just a suggestion.

• KennyP, bprzyw, 4getgto and 2 others have said thanks

#49 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 51994 Thanks
  • 52951 posts

Posted January 10, 2021 - 08:33 AM

Another great video.

Good suggestion, Stew!

• bprzyw, 4getgto, nsengineer and 1 other said thanks

#50 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 1072 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted January 10, 2021 - 01:30 PM

I like your video work. Plow is just about finished!! Can’t wait to see the end result
  • bprzyw and Joseph have said thanks

#51 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • 836 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 12:08 PM

Great job on the clevises - look very good - nice to see you got the lubrication pump working.  Like the piece of metal and spring set up to hold the work piece square while you clamp it - may have to borrow that idea.

One suggestion I will make is where you stand the work piece (clevis) upright in the video (about 3:36 in) the way it is being clamped may place some sideways pressure on the work piece from the jaws of the mill clamp since you are clamping the metal at only one side of the vise jaw. My experience has been that sometimes the work piece may move because of the clamping pressure not being exerted evenly across the full face of the work piece.  If you placed a short piece of the same thickness metal at the other outer edge of the milling vise then the clamping force would be applied squarely and equally across the face of the work piece.  

Again just a suggestion.

Great call, thanks we did not think of doing that. We were very concerned about the clevis being upright in the vice and as such made very slow movements and checked the vice frequently. Ideally the clevis would have been in the centre of the jaws but we had set up the mill using the end of the vice as a reference point and it was very time consuming to set it up. What we really need is a DRO for the mill

• bprzyw, 29 Chev and nsengineer have said thanks

#52 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 21405 Thanks
  • 7137 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 12:28 PM

What we really need is a DRO for the mill

I assume you mean digital read out - are you talking to determine the rpms of the cutter or to locate the work piece in relation to the cutter?

• bprzyw, nsengineer and Joseph have said thanks

#53 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • 836 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 01:47 PM

I assume you mean digital read out - are you talking to determine the rpms of the cutter or to locate the work piece in relation to the cutter?

Apologies, yes a digital read out which would make positioning and cutting a lot easier. We would then not need the edge of the vice as a referece point and the clevis fork could have been positioned in the centre of the vice

• bprzyw and nsengineer have said thanks

#54 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 21405 Thanks
  • 7137 posts

Posted January 11, 2021 - 02:23 PM

Apologies, yes a digital read out which would make positioning and cutting a lot easier. We would then not need the edge of the vice as a referece point and the clevis fork could have been positioned in the centre of the vice

Ah the joys of having a workshop with tools - always something new and expensive to invest in. Perhaps you can do up drawings and document the steps involved in building the framework that you can sell to help finance the purchase of a DRO.   :thumbs:

• bprzyw, slf-uk and nsengineer have said thanks

#55 bolen1 OFFLINE  

bolen1
  • Member No: 47351
  • 29 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted January 12, 2021 - 04:46 PM

Thank you for the replies

I made frame for my bolens used schedule 80 1inch black pipe with 5/8 inch tread rod welded into ends. Did not have ant trouble. Got rid of tractor ,but am thinking of getting it back

Thank you for the very kind words, we do the best we can and I am pleased you follow along

Thanks. It seems like these rods may be the weak point on this attachment

I really appreciate the detailed information, it is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking forward to making the clevis forks as they will be a challange. 5/8 hardened steel rod may be a challange to source over here. We may have to go for mild steel and have a go at hardening it ourselves after cutting the thread.

Thanks for the kind words. We are thinking the extra holes on the bottom of the mounting brackets will be very hand for holding them in place prior to welding using some threaded rod. We did see picture of another model of LF plow and the plates at the front were a different shape which is interesting

• bprzyw, slf-uk, nsengineer and 1 other said thanks

#56 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • 836 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted January 16, 2021 - 02:04 PM

Some more progress on the Bolens HT snow plow replica. In this video we start the repairs to the blade

• KennyP, Newpaws493, bprzyw and 4 others have said thanks

#57 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 1072 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted January 16, 2021 - 03:24 PM

Real nice workmanship.  I really enjoy your segments on the making of this blade and also I have seen all of your other videos.  You'll be plowing soon!!

• bprzyw, slf-uk, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#58 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3539 Thanks
  • 1309 posts

Posted January 16, 2021 - 04:02 PM

Nice work Joseph. Soon (after you have it painted) you can truelly enjoy the rewards of the great job you've done on this plow. I'm curious if you have taken any steps yet, to source the decals & model # decals that would have originally been placed on that plow. Is that something that you even care to have on there after you complete the plow?
  • bprzyw, slf-uk, 4getgto and 1 other said thanks

#59 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 21405 Thanks
  • 7137 posts

Posted January 17, 2021 - 12:47 PM

Nice job on straightening the blade - looked like something may have fallen on it to distort it.  Once you get the foot finished and the lift rods made you will be very close to being able to try it out if Mother Nature cooperates.

• bprzyw, slf-uk and Joseph have said thanks

#60 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • 836 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted January 17, 2021 - 12:56 PM

Real nice workmanship.  I really enjoy your segments on the making of this blade and also I have seen all of your other videos.  You'll be plowing soon!!

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. I do hope we get it finished before we get any snow

Nice work Joseph. Soon (after you have it painted) you can truelly enjoy the rewards of the great job you've done on this plow. I'm curious if you have taken any steps yet, to source the decals & model # decals that would have originally been placed on that plow. Is that something that you even care to have on there after you complete the plow?

Thanks, we have sourced some decals from a UK supplier who has done a great job. As this is a replica it does not have a serial number so we have made one up using the numbers from my date of birth. We have no intention of ever selling this but we did think that we need to mark it somewhere to highlight that it is a replica

Edited by Joseph, January 17, 2021 - 12:56 PM.

• Dave in NY, bprzyw, 29 Chev and 3 others have said thanks