• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • Member No: 89423
  • 702 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted November 21, 2020 - 02:07 PM

We have started a new project which is to build a replica of the Bolens large frame snow/dirt blade, Bolens part number 18085.

Here in the UK this is a very rare attachment and realistically our only chance of owning one is to make a replica. A friend of ours, Chris recently purchased one of the few know to exisit in the UK and we picked it up for him which gave us the chance to take lots of measurements.

Chris's blade did not come with the lift push rods and we need some help with those. In the manual, it says that the distance between the centre line of the holes in the clevis rodes is 26-1/2" which gives a bit of an insight into the lengths of the rods. We did some searching on the Internet and that highlighted that the push rods are 20" long for the early large frames and 22-1/2" long for the HT's. We will be fitting this to our HT20 which suggests we need to make 22-1/2" rods.

Lift rods.jpg

If someone has this attachement I would be grateful if you can measure the length of the push rods and confirm if they are 22-1/2" long. Also it would be helpful to know the length of the threaded part of the rod. Thanks in advance.

We get one tractor day a week so this project will take a while but it should be fun and I hope you follow along. I am making some notes of the work we are doing and making videos of the progress. In today's video I cover the preperation and cutting of the metal.

Joseph

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Dave in NY and 9 others have said thanks

#2 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3396 Thanks
  • 1283 posts

Posted November 21, 2020 - 02:54 PM

I believe my push rods are very burried at the moment, so if someone else can take a measurement for Joseph, that would be helpful.
What I did want to say about them tho, I'd very much suggest to either get hardened rod or harden them after you thread the ends. I'll see what I can do about digging my set out (off an ht23) & get measurements & pics for you. I'll get good pics of the clevis ends for you as well, so you can see what they look like close up as well.
  • blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Dave in NY and 3 others have said thanks

#3 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 965 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted November 21, 2020 - 03:08 PM

I do not personally have any of the information you need as I do not have a snow plow for my large frame but I just wanted to tell you that you do great work on your projects and I love to watch all of your videos that you have done.  I'll be following along for sure.  

• blackjackjakexxix, Dave in NY, Austen and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1522 Thanks
  • 1417 posts

Posted November 21, 2020 - 03:27 PM

This what I have;

image.jpg

joe

• blackjackjakexxix, Dave in NY, Austen and 4 others have said thanks

#5 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 3396 Thanks
  • 1283 posts

Posted November 21, 2020 - 04:57 PM

They are in fact 22 1/2" long (that's just the round bar, not including the clevis' screwed onto them), they are threaded 2" in from the end, on each side, & they're made of 5/8" diameter hardened steel rod (5/8 - 11 thread pitch). There's a jamb nut on one side as seen in pics. I believe the rest is self explanatory, but if there's anything else you need, feel free to ask again, I'll gladly get you the information you need. Looks like it'll be a fun project, & thanks for sharing the video.
Ken

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20201121_152259575.jpg
  • IMG_20201121_152231932.jpg
  • IMG_20201121_152241723.jpg
  • IMG_20201121_152339509.jpg
  • IMG_20201121_152504031.jpg
  • IMG_20201121_152446121.jpg
  • IMG_20201121_152408406.jpg
  • IMG_20201121_152628142.jpg
  • IMG_20201121_152540859.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, Dave in NY, Rock farmer and 5 others have said thanks

#6 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2004 Thanks
  • 740 posts

Posted November 22, 2020 - 08:17 AM

A very nice start to another series of videos about the Bolens hobby! I too am puzzled about the fiitment of the plates at the front of the push frame. It seems as if the plates would have been cut to align with the angle of the square tubes. Maybe there was a design change at the very early stages of production and the Bolens engineers just left the dimensions of the plates as is? Maybe the plates were sheared incorrectly but instead of scrapping them the management decided to use them? Maybe they were made that way because it was structurally stronger? And the extra holes at the bottom of the mounting brackets? All mysteries in the Bolens world. It would be interesting to see several of these blades from various years of manufacture and how the design changed, even if just a little, over the years. The tube tractor blades had a few changes during production, I bet these did too. Anyway- great project! I always enjoy watching your videos!
  • kjmweld and Joseph have said thanks

#7 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • 702 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted November 22, 2020 - 12:38 PM

Thank you for the replies

I do not personally have any of the information you need as I do not have a snow plow for my large frame but I just wanted to tell you that you do great work on your projects and I love to watch all of your videos that you have done.  I'll be following along for sure.  

Thank you for the very kind words, we do the best we can and I am pleased you follow along

This what I have;

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

joe

Thanks. It seems like these rods may be the weak point on this attachment

They are in fact 22 1/2" long (that's just the round bar, not including the clevis' screwed onto them), they are threaded 2" in from the end, on each side, & they're made of 5/8" diameter hardened steel rod (5/8 - 11 thread pitch). There's a jamb nut on one side as seen in pics. I believe the rest is self explanatory, but if there's anything else you need, feel free to ask again, I'll gladly get you the information you need. Looks like it'll be a fun project, & thanks for sharing the video.
Ken

I really appreciate the detailed information, it is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking forward to making the clevis forks as they will be a challange. 5/8 hardened steel rod may be a challange to source over here. We may have to go for mild steel and have a go at hardening it ourselves after cutting the thread.

A very nice start to another series of videos about the Bolens hobby! I too am puzzled about the fiitment of the plates at the front of the push frame. It seems as if the plates would have been cut to align with the angle of the square tubes. Maybe there was a design change at the very early stages of production and the Bolens engineers just left the dimensions of the plates as is? Maybe the plates were sheared incorrectly but instead of scrapping them the management decided to use them? Maybe they were made that way because it was structurally stronger? And the extra holes at the bottom of the mounting brackets? All mysteries in the Bolens world. It would be interesting to see several of these blades from various years of manufacture and how the design changed, even if just a little, over the years. The tube tractor blades had a few changes during production, I bet these did too. Anyway- great project! I always enjoy watching your videos!

Thanks for the kind words. We are thinking the extra holes on the bottom of the mounting brackets will be very hand for holding them in place prior to welding using some threaded rod. We did see picture of another model of LF plow and the plates at the front were a different shape which is interesting

• kjmweld said thank you

#8 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1522 Thanks
  • 1417 posts

Posted November 22, 2020 - 01:42 PM

These are what I have;

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

they are made differently.

that hydro cylinder was added by a previous owner.

joe

Edited by KennyP, November 23, 2020 - 05:04 AM.
Deleted double pic posting.

• 29 Chev and Joseph have said thanks

#9 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • 702 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted November 23, 2020 - 03:41 AM

These are what I have;

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

they are made differentlly.

that hydro cylinder was added by a previous owner.

joe

Thanks for the pictures, it is very helpful. I did think that they made a blade with different size and shape plates at the front like yours.

• kjmweld and nsengineer have said thanks

#10 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • 702 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted November 28, 2020 - 02:07 PM

We had another day on the project. It was a day of cutting, drilling, milling and welding. Video update of progress

• CRFarnsworth, Dave in NY, Rock farmer and 5 others have said thanks

#11 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2004 Thanks
  • 740 posts

Posted November 29, 2020 - 08:37 AM

Looks good! I doubt that anyone will know it's not an original.
  • slf-uk, kjmweld and Joseph have said thanks

#12 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 3396 Thanks
  • 1283 posts

Posted November 29, 2020 - 08:57 AM

Great start. Looks like you'll have a plow that nobody would know wasn't purchased thru Bolens originally. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the project. In the past I've had a difficult time finding the pivot pin here in the states, so I'm sure you'll have the same trouble. If you haven't crossed that bridge yet, you might want to think about how you're going to get that replicated, or at least sourced one somewhere. It's not just a common pin that goes there. The other thing with those pivot pins is, they've usually been replaced because people don't pump grease thru them nearly as often as needed & they set up to the point they're unusable. Maybe the one on the plow you took measurements off of has already been replaced with something other than what was originally there? It'll have a grease fitting on the top side of the pin, which should identify it as a correct part.

Edited by kjmweld, November 29, 2020 - 09:00 AM.

• nsengineer and Joseph have said thanks

#13 Joseph OFFLINE  

Joseph
  • 702 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted November 29, 2020 - 12:53 PM

Great start. Looks like you'll have a plow that nobody would know wasn't purchased thru Bolens originally. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the project. In the past I've had a difficult time finding the pivot pin here in the states, so I'm sure you'll have the same trouble. If you haven't crossed that bridge yet, you might want to think about how you're going to get that replicated, or at least sourced one somewhere. It's not just a common pin that goes there. The other thing with those pivot pins is, they've usually been replaced because people don't pump grease thru them nearly as often as needed & they set up to the point they're unusable. Maybe the one on the plow you took measurements off of has already been replaced with something other than what was originally there? It'll have a grease fitting on the top side of the pin, which should identify it as a correct part.

Thanks. We are finding that Bolens did not make them that well and it could be that you can tell ours is not original because the brackets will be welded on the same place on each side LOL.

We are expecting to replicate all the pins on the plow including the swivel pin and in preperation we have taken measurments of them all. I believe the plow we took the measurments from has the original pin, it has a grease fitting on the top and a hole for a roll pin on the bottom. I expect it is making these small parts which will take the time

• kjmweld, nsengineer and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#14 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 20304 Thanks
  • 6839 posts

Posted November 29, 2020 - 01:22 PM

Great father and son time metal project that will generate memories for both of you for a lifetime and provide a very useful attachment that should help others wishing to replicate a similar item.  Thanks for taking the time to document the steps and share what is involved in fabricating / replicating an attachment such as this.  

• slf-uk, kjmweld and nsengineer have said thanks

#15 slf-uk OFFLINE  

slf-uk

Bolens

• Member No: 62999
  • 591 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted November 29, 2020 - 02:16 PM

Great father and son time metal project that will generate memories for both of you for a lifetime and provide a very useful attachment that should help others wishing to replicate a similar item.  Thanks for taking the time to document the steps and share what is involved in fabricating / replicating an attachment such as this.  

Thanks Stew. I am really enjoying working on this project with Joseph and I am pleased he has taken such a keen interest in working on these old tractors with me. We are both learning a lot and having fun along the way. His preference is to document via video although I am encouraging him to write it up too. 

Iain

• Rock farmer, 29 Chev and nsengineer have said thanks