• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hemifish69 OFFLINE  

Hemifish69
  • Member No: 101600
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 09, 2020 - 05:08 PM

My 12y/o wants a vintage tractor to mess with. I've found a 1971 wheel horse (special 800) for $200. Doesn't run, no mower deck, dozer blade.

Want to repower with him and cut him loose to see if the motorhead bug catches. Open to going straight to a tractor puller drivetrain, because it's getting repowered anyway. Open to getting spendy, because I'm looking forward to wrenching with my kid.

Background: worked as an aircraft mechanic, machinist, commercial laundry repair. Just looking for advice from people who have done this already.
  • IHCubCadet147 and 426tractorguy have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 14571 Thanks
  • 6619 posts

Posted November 10, 2020 - 11:55 AM

:welcome: , and welcome to your son as well. 

#3 426tractorguy OFFLINE  

426tractorguy

infowars.com

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 808 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted November 10, 2020 - 05:43 PM

welcome to gttalk! 

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4619 Thanks
  • 2773 posts

Posted November 10, 2020 - 07:56 PM

Welcome. Don't know what advice to give except dig in. If you can figure out airplanes and washing machines you can certainly master garden tractors. If you run into problems come back and ask for help. We have an extensive manuals section 'third tab from the left top of this page' You might be able to download a manual for the machine. If so it couldn't hurt to start teaching the boy to read and interpret a manual. especially the wiring diagrams. good luck and enjoy.

Don 

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1343 Thanks
  • 1529 posts

Posted November 10, 2020 - 07:57 PM

Coming from someone that has 20 years in the pulling scene, your first thing should be to find a club local to you and get a set of rules and go from there. It's all about safety when it comes to you, your kid, and everyone else around you.