• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 1907 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 05, 2020 - 07:09 PM

I have at least one more mowing, leaf shredding session yet do do this season. I could probably get away with just letting it go but there are several places in the lawn that  could use it. These several warm sunny days have brought the grass back to growing again. But being as I have been using 2 tractors to mow with alternately this year I figured I should clean up one of them now and get started on the summer to winter transition. I started using this 1220 and 42" deck this year just to see how it was all going to perform. I had run the tractor last winter with the snow-caster on it but hadn't tried it out with the mowing deck yet. After an adjustment of the guide wheels, a couple on the mounting linkages, and a different muffler for the tractor I found it was pretty nice to mow with. The 1050 is still my favorite though. So here's the official start of the yearly mower cleanup project. Started by blowing as much off as possible with the air hose and then removed the deck. The tractor will get a wash and probably wax some time this coming weekend. I didn't see any issues with either tractor or deck so this one will be easy. Put the storage brackets on the deck and swapped a solid plug for the vent plug in the gearbox. That way the gear lube won't  leak out while the deck is standing up. Got it pretty well cleaned out, going to wire brush it some more and then coat it with something to prevent rust. Not sure what I'll use yet. Most anything you put on them will wear off at some point. I might just brush it with old motor oil or spray some LPS #3 on it. I guess I didn't find too many stones as the blades are still reasonably sharp. I figure I put maybe 25-30 hours on it mowing this season. 

Attached Thumbnails

• clean 001.JPG
  • clean 002.JPG
  • clean 003.JPG
  • clean 005.JPG
  • clean 006.JPG
  • clean 007.JPG

• propane1, Leonard VanCamp, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#2 imac2017 OFFLINE  

imac2017
  • Member No: 85516
  • 104 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted November 05, 2020 - 08:17 PM

I like the storage frame.  Did you mod it to tilt the fenders/seat forward?  looks good! thanks.  

• Dave in NY said thank you

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 20111 Thanks
  • 6790 posts

Posted November 05, 2020 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures Dave - I removed the deck off of my 1050 today.  I like the way you made your stand so that it allows the input shaft of the gear case to turn - may have to borrow that idea and add it to my deck stand.  Gave the underside of my deck a quick cleaning and most of it is rusty so I may give it a coat of Dominion Sure Seal DOM16 (black) if the weather holds and I find some more ambition - sticks well to rusty surfaces.

• Dave in NY and jcp7hp have said thanks

#4 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1907 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 05, 2020 - 08:44 PM

I like the storage frame.  Did you mod it to tilt the fenders/seat forward?  looks good! thanks.

Yes the tilt up fender pan,seat is to allow access to the gas tank. This tractor is one of my repowers. I put a 14 hp. Onan in place of the blown 12hp. Tecumseh.
  • jcp7hp said thank you

#5 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1907 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 05, 2020 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures Dave - I removed the deck off of my 1050 today.  I like the way you made your stand so that it allows the input shaft of the gear case to turn - may have to borrow that idea and add it to my deck stand.  Gave the underside of my deck a quick cleaning and most of it is rusty so I may give it a coat of Dominion Sure Seal DOM16 (black) if the weather holds and I find some more ambition - sticks well to rusty surfaces.

I got the idea for the storage stand from your posts about the one you built. Great idea you had!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13075 Thanks
  • 5842 posts

Posted November 06, 2020 - 04:08 AM

Nice looking tractor and deck. Looks brand new. Was just wondering Dave about the runners behind the middle blade, did you make those or are they original. And are they below the cut very much or not.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• AC710F56-70A1-4550-ABBF-5073358DC4BC.png

#7 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1907 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 06, 2020 - 05:55 AM

Nice looking tractor and deck. Looks brand new. Was just wondering Dave about the runners behind the middle blade, did you make those or are they original. And are they below the cut very much or not.
Noel

Thanks, they were winter projects. The skid runners behind the middle blade are stock. I'm not sure exactly of the height relationship of them and the blades. I will check that out and get back to you.
  • KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#8 426tractorguy OFFLINE  

426tractorguy

infowars.com

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 721 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted November 06, 2020 - 10:03 AM

now i want to make a storage frame for my tractor deck!!!

#9 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1907 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 06, 2020 - 08:53 PM

now i want to make a storage frame for my tractor deck!!!

These are just 2 pieces of bed frame angle iron. Welded on some pieces and drilled some holes. Pretty easy to do. Just need access to a welder and drill press. I would be lost without mine! 

• KennyP, Rock farmer and 29 Chev have said thanks

#10 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 20111 Thanks
  • 6790 posts

Posted November 07, 2020 - 01:19 PM

Asked Dave if it was ok to post some pictures in his thread of my deck cleanup (as I didn't think there was much point in starting another thread on the same topic) and he graciously agreed.

Did a quick clean up with the wire brush on a drill (after using the water hose and scraper) in preparation for a first coat of DOM16 - a Dominion Sure Seal product designed to bind with rust and stop it as well as providing a rock hard finish when cured. It is similar to POR15 but much easier to come by here in Canada.  I used it on the underside of my 38" deck after I cleaned it up a few years ago but have not used that deck since to see what the results would be like after a summer of cutting grass.  I have used this product on my vehicles and my experience has been that where it is applied over rusty metal that has been wire brushed to remove any loose scale it bonds well but where it is applied over painted areas or new clean metal it doesn't bond nearly as well and will peel.  Gave the deck a first coat late yesterday afternoon and let it dry overnight as they recommend two coats and to allow 2 - 4 hours for it to dry before applying a second coat.  I cleaned up and painted the deck back around 2003 and it still show evidence of a little bit of the green paint on the bottom side I used at that time.  It usually takes about 6 hours to completely cut all the lawn I have each time and it has seen a lot of use over the years that I have owned it - not to mention the amount of work it has probably done before I got it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Deck After Washing And Scraping.jpg
  • 2 Deck After Wire Brush On Drill.jpg
  • 3 Still A Bit Of Green Paint In Spots.jpg
  • 4 Still A Bit Of Green Paint In Spots.jpg
  • 5 DOM16 Pint Size.jpg
  • 6 First Coat With Brush.jpg
  • 7 First Coat With Brush.jpg
  • 8 First Coat With Brush.jpg
  • 9 Stand.jpg
  • 10 Stand.jpg

• KennyP, Dave in NY, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#11 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 20111 Thanks
  • 6790 posts

Posted November 07, 2020 - 01:38 PM

On inspection this morning I noticed that I had missed a few spots as well as what appeared to be a crack in the deck metal near a bolt hole for the gear case bracket.  Decided that it needed to come up in the world so I could get a better view so I used the old bumper jack which did a nice job of holding it.  Found after a better look that the metal was cracked so I ground out the crack and welded it with the mig welder.  Ground the weld area near where the bolt hole was so that the flat washer would sit flat and left the rest of the weld built up for strength.  Cleaned up the few area I missed with the wire brush and gave the deck a second coat where the blades are as well as a coat where the cubby hole area is for the gear case mounting bolts and pulley.  Left the two bolts out that hold the rear of the gear case bracket as well as removed the water hose adaptor.

A few things I have learned while using the DOM16 product that I will share in case someone else wants to try something similar.  Wear gloves as if the product gets on your skin and is not removed quickly it will prove impossible to remove - also the product contains chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin into the body which are not good for you.  It says that it can be sprayed or brushed on - I use a cheap paint brush with the expectation that it will be a one use only with no plans of trying to clean the brush up.  Once you are done clean all the product out of the groove in the top of the can and the lip on the lid where it fits in the groove before you put the lid back on - if you don't it may prove difficult or impossible to remove the lid the next time you want to use the product. 

It will be interesting to see how well the product stands up to the grass next season and how easy it is to remove any grass that sticks to the bottom of the deck as it is used next year. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Deck On Jack After first Coat Dried.jpg
  • 2 Crack At Rear Of Deck Near Bolt Hole.jpg
  • 3 Crack Welded.jpg
  • 4 Weld Ground Where Bolt Washer Sits.jpg
  • 5 Second Coat Of DOM16 On Deck.jpg
  • 6 After Second Coat Of DOM16 On Deck.jpg
  • 7 After Second Coat Of DOM16 On Deck.jpg
  • 8 After Second Coat Of DOM16 On Deck.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, November 07, 2020 - 01:40 PM.

• KennyP, Dave in NY, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#12 426tractorguy OFFLINE  

426tractorguy

infowars.com

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 721 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted November 07, 2020 - 01:44 PM

These are just 2 pieces of bed frame angle iron. Welded on some pieces and drilled some holes. Pretty easy to do. Just need access to a welder and drill press. I would be lost without mine! 

unfortunately i have neither of those!!!

#13 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1907 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 07, 2020 - 06:15 PM

It can't be said that you haven't gotten some serious use from that attachment! Looks like you have it under control. Good catch on the stress crack! I am going to be looking mine over for anything like that. I fixed quite a bit of wear and tear on this deck before painting it. I still need to get after it with the wire brush and decide what I will coat it with. 

• propane1, 29 Chev, 4getgto and 1 other said thanks

#14 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1907 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 08, 2020 - 06:08 PM

Got time today to work over the bottom of the deck with a cupped wire brush mounted in a drill. I then put some Rust Reformer on any place that had any surface rust, including the blades. Surface rust was rather minimal thankfully. Not sure what's next. Maybe just brush on some more black enamel paint. I've tried lots of things on decks over the years and eventually no matter what is used, it will wear off. I also gave the 1220 a wash job as long as I was washing vehicles too. 

Attached Thumbnails

• clean 005.JPG
  • clean 006.JPG
  • clean 009.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, November 08, 2020 - 06:11 PM.

• KennyP, propane1, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#15 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1907 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 09, 2020 - 06:42 PM

Nothing more done on the deck today. I was busy with doing possibly the last mowing, leaf shredding session with the 1050 tractor. Unless of course we get more of this unseasonably warm, sunny weather that makes the grass grow. I remember mowing one year just a few days before Thanksgiving, so we'll see how this season goes. Only have this tractor and deck and one push mower left to clean up. This repowered 1050 is my favorite tube frame tractor to mow with so far. I put a 12.5 hp. Kohler Command lifted from a Cub Cadet in it several years ago and have been mowing with it ever since. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1050 001.JPG
  • 1050 002.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev and kjmweld have said thanks