• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 800power OFFLINE  

800power
  • Member No: 101310
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 16, 2020 - 09:31 PM

A few years ago, I replaced a cracked and split drive pulley and cracked clutch spindle. The engine had worked well for the 30 or so years previous but had always had a knock which I think I traced to this drive pulley and clutch spindle which appeared to have too much play where the "keys" fit into the main drive shaft. The used replacement parts seemed to be tighter and play appeared gone

Recently, the play had returned, and in a preventative spirit (before snowblowing season), I took the pulley off and found a VERY tiny hair crack starting on the clutch spindle at the key location.. The main shaft and pulley are fine, but the keys for the clutch spindle are creating the play which , in the long term, will eventually shock the pulley at every engine rev to the point it breaks again. This could last for another 30 years, but I have to get rid of the knock.

Tighter fitting keys ?  Maybe.  Weld the clutch spindle to the drive pulley, making it one solid unit ?  Should solve the issue but will it last ?

Any advice ?  Has anyone encountered this issue.

Thanks  MarshallIMG_1608.JPG IMG_1611.JPG JACOBSEN CHIEF 800 1.jpg

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1503 Thanks
  • 1410 posts

Posted October 17, 2020 - 09:29 AM

The proper fix would be to to take to a machine shop.

and, have a new keyway cut 180 degrees from the existing one.

just my opinion!

joe

#3 800power OFFLINE  

800power
  • Member No: 101310
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 17, 2020 - 10:13 AM

Joe;     Thanks !. Had not thought of that     Marshall

• Rock farmer said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jacobsen 800, drive pulley, clutch spindle