• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 836 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted October 16, 2020 - 08:17 PM

Just wanted to show two new additions to the HT loader.  A few weeks ago I picked up a 3 point hitch from a fellow member of GTT.  it is the older style 18010 hitch and not the 18086 hitch that is supposed to be for the HT series.  After much discussion with the fellow member it was determined that the old style will for my purposes work on my HT.  There is a clearance issue with the frame but only at 95% full lift.  Austen, now I know why your frame was cut the way it was when you got your tractor.  Its the exact cut mine would need if I ever decided to do it.  At this present time It lifts plenty high for what im going to do with the hitch.  I converted my weight box I built to be a 3 point set up.  It lifts 410 lbs without even a moan and just for fun I stood on it as well (150 more lbs) and again lifted without issue. The weight box is not fully completed as I have not put sides on it yet to contain the weight.   When I park the tractor I just drop it on some concrete blocks to take the stess off of everything.  I was all ready to paint the hitch the Bolens green but decided to go with the same semi-gloss black as the bucket was given.  I kept the paint more neutral for the fact that in the future i would like to look for another Large Frame (1886) to work on.( hint hint)    It would be the exact hitch for it if I ever go that route.  

My other new addition is that I purchased another new muffler that had a bottom inlet instead of the side inlet I previously had.  Just a better fit with a shorter top tip creating less mass to break the muffler.  This muffler also has different baffling inside and is a bit quieter.

Now the fun begins to find some 3 point attachments for it.  Already bought a lawn dethatcher that I will convert to 3 point just for the fun of it.  Plug aerator is next.  

The pictures are sideways as thumbprints but when you open them up they are correct.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2416.jpg
  • IMG_2417.jpg
  • IMG_2418.jpg
  • IMG_2419.jpg
  • IMG_2423.jpg
  • IMG_2420.jpg
  • IMG_2421.jpg

Edited by nsengineer, October 16, 2020 - 08:25 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Rock farmer and 7 others have said thanks

#2 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3292 Thanks
  • 1250 posts

Posted October 16, 2020 - 08:39 PM

Very nice additions. 3 point hitches make life so much easier, & IMO the cat0 attachments are built so much more heavier duty than sleeve hitch attachments that many garden tractors use. Glad to hear there's no lack of ability in lifting the weight you wanted it to lift as well.
Muffler looks good on there, it being quieter than the last one is a plus I'm sure your ears will thank you for. 😁
  • blackjackjakexxix, Austen, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#3 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3482 Thanks
  • 1411 posts

Posted October 16, 2020 - 11:11 PM

Oh good, glad to hear you found a 3pt!! Nice to hear that it's lifting what you were hoping it would without issue too. :thumbs: It's fun to look at your machine, everything is so clean and fresh in the areas normally that would be greasy and dirty on the typical LF.

There is a clearance issue with the frame but only at 95% full lift.  Austen, now I know why your frame was cut the way it was when you got your tractor.

AHA!

Never thought I would determine the cause of that other than they stripped or seized the mounting bolts in there and chose to torch the mount out instead. That would be make sense! Thanks for that, it adds more to the story of this machine.

Glad to hear you made the early style work on yours and it's doing what you need it too. The new exhaust sounds like it's going to work well and looks like it belongs on a diesel. Your machine looks great, I always enjoy seeing it and the updates you do to it, it's one my favorite large frames.

Edited by Austen, October 16, 2020 - 11:12 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Mark 149 J. and nsengineer have said thanks

#4 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • 836 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted October 17, 2020 - 07:41 AM

Thank you for the kind comments. The muffler I chose out of the Stanley catalogue is actually for a Massey Furgeson with the 3 cylinder Perkins diesel. I should have really waited to buy a muffler AFTER I installed the loader instead of being so anxious in thinking which one would work ahead of time.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#5 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 704 Thanks
  • 439 posts

Posted October 17, 2020 - 07:53 AM

looks like a great set-up 

any thoughts if that muffler would fit a 1477 w/a Wisconsin s14d - I also have a Johnson loader on it  - the little muffler that's on there seems to be more for looks than actually doing any "muffling" 

thanks

• blackjackjakexxix and nsengineer have said thanks

#6 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • 836 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted October 17, 2020 - 10:09 AM

The muffler I chose actually had a much longer inlet pipe and I cut it off and welded my own flange to the bottom of it. The inlet pipe on this one is 1 5/8 od. The muffler is 4 1/2 in od. In stanley catalogue it’s part number MF-31. Being this was a custom application I had to look at every dimension of every muffler Stanley had to offer and see if I could make one fit the tractor. I do not have the Stanley cat in my phone but if you google Stanley mufflers their cat comes up. Do you know what the outlet od is off your Wisconsin where the muffler would attach to? How long does the muffler body have to be? I can try to match one up for you or you can browse cat for one. Stanley makes a muffler for just about every tractor out there. My original muffler I used was for a Wisconsin 4 cylinder and did not really have any baffling inside like this one has. Jeff

If you find one I ordered mine on line at Rural King. Even with shipping is was a better price than anyone else could offer

Edited by nsengineer, October 17, 2020 - 10:13 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix and kjmweld have said thanks

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 3625 Thanks
  • 2334 posts

Posted October 20, 2020 - 08:58 PM

Nice job Jeff,that machine really came out nice
  • Austen said thank you

#8 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • 836 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted October 21, 2020 - 07:09 PM

A little update to what was done to the HT24D today.  I removed the link between the two lift arm bars to allow side to side movement in them so I could fully lift the arms to the full travel of the rockshaft.  To my amazement I gained another 5 inches of travel to the arms from when they would touch the frame of the tractor.  Well the decision was made at that point to get out the saw and high speed cutting wheel.  I know some may be gasping at this moment BUT REMEBER THAT THIS FRAME IN THE FRONT IS BASICALLY UNRECOGNIZABLE TO A STOCK HT from what I had to do as far as motor mounts and fitment of the radiator and battery/fuel tank.  So for me it was what needed to be done.  One member mentioned his new style 3 point had  8 1/2 inch of travel from full lower to full raise.  My 3 point now after the mods to the frame has 11 1/2 inches of travel from full lower to full raise, and thats with my cross arm rod hitting the home made upper link bracket.  That will be next for reconfiguring.  My arms at the lowest point are 7 1/2 inches above the ground to 19 inches above the ground fully raised.    I also saved the pieces if I ever needed them.  I come to the conclusion that Bolens engineering added the frame length behind the axle on these models just for the new design 3 point 18086 that replaced the 18010.  There is no other reason for that frame to extend the way it does.  I really think that too many people did not properly adjust the rod links between the rockshaft and the lower lift arms correctly on the older 18010 unit causing lots of bent arms and poss broken axle housings.  If not properly adjusted they do hit the axle when if full lowered position.  You can see in my right side pic the rod was hitting the axle, showing the paint scratching of the rod.  Adjusted properly you still get the arm as low as it can physically get (7 1/2") and the rod not touching the axle.   Next up is fabbing an "A" frame sleeve adapter as I want to make a few pull behind attachments I have 3 point .   

Well enough rambling for the day!!  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2431.jpg
  • IMG_2432.jpg
  • IMG_2434.jpg
  • IMG_2433.jpg

Edited by nsengineer, October 21, 2020 - 07:23 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Dave in NY and 3 others have said thanks

#9 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3482 Thanks
  • 1411 posts

Posted October 21, 2020 - 07:51 PM

Interesting information, Jeff. I don't have any firsthand experience with the older style 3 point. It looks and sounds, by the you describe, a fair amount different than the later style. That's great you got additional lift. The notches you made look clean.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Mark 149 J. and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 1740 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted October 26, 2020 - 03:24 AM

Nice alterations on an already really nice machine! A quieter muffler is always good!