• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pumpguy OFFLINE  

Pumpguy
  • Member No: 101038
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 16, 2020 - 07:00 PM

Does anyone know, with some degree of certainty, what type of plastic the typical lawn tractor bagger chutes are made from?  

Specifically MTD 73109173A lower chute, and Sears Craftsman 162803 lower chute.

I may need to splice parts from both these chutes to complete my project, and knowing what material they are made from would help with correct choice of glue/cement.  

An alternate method would be pop rivets or small screws, washers and nuts.  Don't know dimension differences as yet.  

#2 [email protected] OFFLINE  

[email protected]
  • Member No: 95848
  • 38 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 17, 2020 - 01:37 AM

Most plastics are marked, there should be a small circle with some letters in the center.

If I were to guess, if your talking about the black plastic tube, I'd say its likely HDPE

The tubes on my Cub Cadet 2135 and John Deere Sabre outback both are stamped HDPE #2 in the recycling mark.

PE is the hardest of all the plastics to glue. There are various adhesives and processes to bond or repair it but they're borderline at best.

Poly-Bond from Tap plastics or JB Weld Plastic Bonder y are two that come to mind. PE must be heat primed before gluing as well.

Your best solution is likely going to be a combination of mechanical fasteners and which ever urethane adhesive you choose.

• Pumpguy said thank you

#3 Pumpguy OFFLINE  

Pumpguy
  • Member No: 101038
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 17, 2020 - 10:46 AM

PERFECT!

That is exactly the information I was looking for.  I will check the tubes I have and see if I can find the markings you describe.  

Thank you so much for this reply.