Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Is a farmall cub or a cub lowboy considered a garden tractor?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 6609 Thanks
  • 2675 posts

Posted October 15, 2020 - 12:38 AM

Ask somebody who doesn't collect or have an interest in lawn mowers or tractors. They will tell you Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, Craftsman, MTD, etc. are lawn mowers. If they look at a Farmall Cub, they will say it's a small tractor. We can break it down any way we like, but the general public knows what a lawn mower looks like compared to a tractor. It's just my take on it, but it's how everyone that I ever knew really categorized them. So basically, you would put an attachment on the lawn mower to blow snow, till the garden, etc. The tractors would be used for farm work like brush hogging, cutting hay, plowing fields, and so on. To me, there are just mowers, small truck farm tractors like the Farmall Cubs, then the bigger farm tractors. When I hear the term garden tractor, it has to look like a tractor and not a lawn mower. To me, garden tractors are Economy tractors, Gibson A, D, and SD, tractors, Shaw tractors, Mighty Mite tractors, and some others in that class. Yea, they are all old relics, but they look like tractors. This topic has been brought up more than a few times, and there are alot of different views. Heck, two wheel machines are called tractors, but to me they are just walk behinds. I don't even associate the word tractor with them, even though they are advertised as such. Gravely walk behind, Simplicity walk behind, Cub Cadet mower, Wheel Horse mower, MTD mower, Farmall Cub tractor, Shaw tractor, Mighty Mite tractor, etc. A mower is a mower and a tractor is a tractor, even though a mower can do tractor work on a smaller scale. I don't think the average person differentiates mowers from tractors by the work it can do, but more so by what it looks like. Show someone a picture of a Wheel Hores 520H and a picture of a Farmall Cub. Ask them which one is the lawn mower and which one is a tractor. Both can pull a bottom plow and both can cut the grass, but most would tell you the Wheel Horse is the lawn mower. In my opinion, garden tractors are truck farm size tractors like the ones that I mentioned. If your working the 30x50 garden in the back yard, most are putting an attachment on the lawn mower to get the job done. It's just how I've always seen it.
  • DougT, propane1, Kster526 and 1 other said thanks

#17 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

Deere Hunter

• Member No: 6766
  • 291 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted October 15, 2020 - 05:34 AM

if my memory is right they were designed to use on crop farms up to 30-40 acres as a the primary tractor and or as a small accessory tractor for running belt equipment and doing small jobs on bigger farms.

Edited by nkaust, October 15, 2020 - 05:39 AM.

• Kster526 and Jcp7-8 have said thanks

#18 426tractorguy OFFLINE  

426tractorguy

my tool box is way too small

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 475 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted October 15, 2020 - 04:48 PM

There's this big mystery iv'e always wanted to find out. Is the farmall cub and the cub lowboy considered a garden tractor? Why do you think what? All replies are thanked.

are u buying one??? :D  :smilewink:

#19 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

Deere Hunter

• 291 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted October 15, 2020 - 04:54 PM

I hope he does, they are great tractors with a ton of attachments and parts.

#20 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2603 Thanks
  • 1306 posts

Posted October 15, 2020 - 09:44 PM

if my memory is right they were designed to use on crop farms up to 30-40 acres as a the primary tractor and or as a small accessory tractor for running belt equipment and doing small jobs on bigger farms.

The Farmall Cub manual says in average soil it can plow 2 1/2 - 3 acres in a ten hour day.  Would hate to tackle 30-40 acres with it.....  Maybe better than a mule though.  I think it was designed with the under 10 acre truck farmer in mind.  The A and Super A for the 10-20 acre truck farm.  At 40 acres I think you wanted an H or even an M.  I think the B and C probably were intended for the 20-40 acre farm.

I'm probably going to be corrected on this but I think of farm tractors as having the transmission bolted up to the engine, either directly or with a torque tube as in the Cub.  I think of lawn and garden tractors as having an exposed drive line and a frame that keeps the drive line parts together.  By that standard the Cub and Cub Lo-Boy would be farm tractors where the number series Lo-Boy (154, 185 and 184) would be garden tractors.

#21 Kster526 ONLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 2222 Thanks
  • 1099 posts

Posted October 16, 2020 - 08:39 AM

Good question and a lot of great comments and thoughts.

I think they are all cool and if you enjoy them then its what you want it to be

Red, Green, Orange, Yellow,Blue doesn't matter

:bounce:    :bounce:     :bounce:     :bounce:     :bounce:     :bounce:

• Alc, propane1, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#22 Jcp7-8 ONLINE  

Jcp7-8

( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 96592
  • 89 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted October 17, 2020 - 04:12 PM

are u buying one??? :D :smilewink:

I would if I had the cash!
  • Kster526 said thank you

#23 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

Deere Hunter

• 291 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted October 18, 2020 - 04:15 PM

http://farmallcub.co...Cub/Page 10.jpg

i agree, i would not want to run a farm that big with a tractor that small lol 

#24 1963Craftsman's OFFLINE  

1963Craftsman's
  • Member No: 100448
  • 56 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 21, 2020 - 09:09 AM

Its a tough one in my opinion. I would say that the Farmall Cub is a Garden and Farm tractor, I say this because it has a mowing deck and this is why I call it a garden tractor. I call it a farm tractor because it has a farm tractor name on it, (Farmall), it has a farm tractor color to it and is technically the entry/beginner level to collecting the big farm tractors in my personal opinion. I love these things and REALLY badly want one but do not have the cash right now and especially have the space to put it.

As far as the Cub Cadet Low-boy I would say that it is just a Garden tractor. I say this because it technically is a what it says on it, a Cub Cadet which is a Garden tractor and it has a deck on it too. Also not to mention it is yellow and white like the regular Cub Cadets, I personally don't like them because when I think of a Cub Cadet I don't think of them with the big tires in the back.

This is just my 2 cents, hope this "helps".

Edited by 1963Craftsman's, October 21, 2020 - 09:10 AM.

• Jcp7-8 said thank you

#25 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 2603 Thanks
  • 1306 posts

Posted October 21, 2020 - 09:03 PM

As far as the Cub Cadet Low-boy I would say that it is just a Garden tractor. I say this because it technically is a what it says on it, a Cub Cadet which is a Garden tractor and it has a deck on it too. Also not to mention it is yellow and white like the regular Cub Cadets, I personally don't like them because when I think of a Cub Cadet I don't think of them with the big tires in the back.

The tractors I believe you're referring to were what are known as the number series Lo-Boys.  They were "Cub" Lo-Boys, not Cub Cadet Low-Boys.

There were 3 different variations of the "Cub"s:

• F Cub was the tall tractor with cultivision (engine and transmission offset to the left and operator station to the right).  In line water cooled 4 cylinder engine.  Many were Farmall red but some later ones were also produced in yellow/white like the Cub Cadet.
  • Cub Lo-Boy was virtually the same tractor as the F Cub except the final drives were rotated 90 degrees and front spindles shortened to reduce ground clearance by about 8".
  • Number series Cub Lo-Boys shared most of the power train with the earlier Cub Lo-Boy except the engine and transmission were centered with the operator centered over the transmission and instead of a torque tube they had an exposed drive shaft inside a frame like lawn/garden tractors.  The PTOs were independent but still turned too fast and backward like the other Cubs.  Most had balloon turf tires but it was also available with the R1 agricultural tires.  A category 3 point hitch was also an option.  The 154 and 185 Lo-Boys were yellow/white and had starter generators like the Cub Cadets.  The last in the series, the 184 went back to the flywheel starter, IH dropped the Cub designation and simply called it the IH 184.  The 184 was styled like the larger 86 series tractors and came in IH red.  All most all of the number series Lo-Boys were used for mowing large properties.

An IH 184 with R1 tires and 3 point hitch is on my must have list.  They're fairly rare and getting expensive.  Now that I have the space I'm going to start seriously watching for one.

7d177eca7cf1dae4ddbc76765510a887.jpg

Edited by MiCarl, October 22, 2020 - 07:25 AM.

• Alc, Kster526, DChappy and 1 other said thanks

#26 1963Craftsman's OFFLINE  

1963Craftsman's
  • Member No: 100448
  • 56 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 21, 2020 - 10:48 PM

This is the Cub tractor I was referring to.....

https://www.google.c...QAAAAAdAAAAABAP

#27 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 2603 Thanks
  • 1306 posts

Posted October 22, 2020 - 07:30 AM

This is the Cub tractor I was referring to.....

https://www.google.c...QAAAAAdAAAAABAP

Yes, a number series Cub Lo-Boy. but not a Cub Cadet.

By my standards it would be a garden tractor because there isn't a rigid link between the block and transmission.  In other words, if you can remove the engine without splitting the tractor I consider it a garden tractor.

• KennyP, Cvans and Jcp7-8 have said thanks

#28 slowleak OFFLINE  

slowleak
  • Member No: 94412
  • 13 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 24, 2020 - 11:36 PM

The Farmall Cub or Cub Lowboy are different machines, the Farmall is a small farm tractor, the Lowboy is more or less a commercial type mower.

For me, I see most 'Garden Tractors' as those that are built to work around a residential yard, generally that means they have a fairly narrow track width and smaller wheels. There's a few exceptions on both sides here but for the most part most GT's will fit through a 36" gate opening, (not counting the deck). A few super GT's break that rule.

The same goes for GT's generally being air cooled vs. water cooled. But several larger GT's break this rule as well,

From past experience, many GT's are more capable than the Farmal Cub in some ways, I owned both for a number of years and my AC 416 would pull a dirt plow better than my Farmall Cub, but the Farmall was far better at mowing and cultivating the one acre garden. Years prior, I used a 154 to mow the grass where I worked, about 10 acres every other week. It was a great machine for that at the time but with today's mowers a good, fast zero turn would have been the right answer.

• Jcp7-8 said thank you