Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Is a farmall cub or a cub lowboy considered a garden tractor?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jcp7-8 OFFLINE  

Jcp7-8
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 96592
  • 66 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 09:43 AM

There's this big mystery iv'e always wanted to find out. Is the farmall cub and the cub lowboy considered a garden tractor? Why do you think what? All replies are thanked.

• boyscout862 and Kster526 have said thanks

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 1092 Thanks
  • 634 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 10:41 AM

If I remember correctly from the old paperwork International Harvester marketed them as a small farm tractor for small acreage farms that had 1-2 horses

• Leonard VanCamp, Kster526 and Jcp7-8 have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 12899 Thanks
  • 5797 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 10:56 AM

The way I kinda look at it is, any tractor with rear wheel size less than 24” wheel is a garden tractor. And any tractor with a 24” rear wheel and up is a utility tractor. As the rear wheel size gets above 30” let’s say, then things change again. Hard one to figure. Can’t be by engine hp, because a farmall cub has 9 1/2, hp where as garden tractors range from 8 or so to 25 hp. So I don’t really know how it’s figured out. Great question. Hope someone fill us in with some answers.

Noel
  • Kster526, DChappy and Jcp7-8 have said thanks

#4 DChappy OFFLINE  

DChappy
  • Member No: 95182
  • 314 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 11:02 AM

The way I kinda look at it is, any tractor with rear wheel size less than 24” wheel is a garden tractor. And any tractor with a 24” rear wheel and up is a utility tractor. As the rear wheel size gets above 30” let’s say, then things change again. Hard one to figure. Can’t be by engine hp, because a farmall cub has 9 1/2, hp where as garden tractors range from 8 or so to 25 hp. So I don’t really know how it’s figured out. Great question. Hope someone fill us in with some answers.

Noel

When you say wheel size-I believe you are talking about tire diameter, basically on a 12" rim. I would say anything less than a 26x12x12 tire size, or more precisely 12" wheel.

• oldiron, Kster526 and Jcp7-8 have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 12899 Thanks
  • 5797 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 12:46 PM

I mean wheel diameter. Hope this helps. I just got a Case 446 a few weeks ago. Its no bigger than a garden tractor, like a MF 14, with 12" diameter rear wheels, but the Case has 16" diameter wheels on the rear. So, is the Case a garden tractor or a utility tractor or what is it ? And the MF 14 and the Case 446 are about the same weight.

Noel

• Kster526, DChappy and Jcp7-8 have said thanks

#6 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 949 Thanks
  • 637 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 02:23 PM

I'd say it's more of a small farm tractor directed at vegetable farms and municipal work. along the lines of a Allis Chalmers G, or a John Deere L,LA.

• boyscout862, propane1, Kster526 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 340 Thanks
  • 275 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 05:24 PM

I think the Power King tractors are garden tractors.  The 2414 has 24 inch tires so maybe a little larger tires than 24 inch to not be a garden tractor.

• propane1, Kster526 and Jcp7-8 have said thanks

#8 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62

Hangin' with the cool kids

• Member No: 42
  • 3718 Thanks
  • 2453 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 05:36 PM

Modern tractors seem to come in 4 ranges

Lawn/Garden tractor

SCUT (Sub Compact Utility tractor)

CUT (Compact Utility tractor)

Full size tractor

The Farmall Cub and Lowboy seem to fit between the SCUT and CUT to me........JMO

#9 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 659 Thanks
  • 501 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 05:48 PM

OK my take on this. In my feeble mind the garden tractors have Kohler, Briggs, Tecumseh or such single cylinder or twin for a power plant. The Cubs and other small tractors have 4 cylinder engines and trannys made by the tractor manufacturer. It drives the transmission with a direct connection and not a belt and also has a pto and possibly 3 point hitch. And yes I realize the Cub Cadet has a pressure plate clutch with a shaft to the transmission. The Cubs used the C Farmall rear end which is the reason they take the abuse that they do. Small engine generally air cooled is garden tractor in my book. A side note: my father said that Kohler was just about done in before the garden tractors took off. 

#10 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 659 Thanks
  • 501 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 05:50 PM

Modern tractors seem to come in 4 ranges

Lawn/Garden tractor

SCUT (Sub Compact Utility tractor)

CUT (Compact Utility tractor)

Full size tractor

The Farmall Cub and Lowboy seem to fit between the SCUT and CUT to me........JMO

agreed

Deere puts a MCUT between the SCUT and the CUT

• Kster526 and Jcp7-8 have said thanks

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9335 Thanks
  • 7212 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 06:35 PM

There's this big mystery iv'e always wanted to find out. Is the farmall cub and the cub lowboy considered a garden tractor? Why do you think what? All replies are thanked.

The answer is simple, if your using it in the garden it's a garden tractor.  :D

• DougT, pharmer, chieffan and 4 others have said thanks

#12 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 667 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 08:00 PM

Garden tractors are defined as being able to pull one 12” moldboard breaking plow or less. It’s defined back in approximately 1912 or so. I first read it in the inside cover of Dave Baas’ first book. It makes sense to me. If you want me to look it up I can.

#13 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 667 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 08:04 PM

I would separate lawn tractors and garden tractors. As a generality, lawn tractors are not capable of pulling ground engaging equipment, garden tractors certainly are.

#14 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 667 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 08:26 PM

Dave considered only the Gibson “A”, of all the Gibson’s, fit the parameters of a garden tractor, it being capable of pulling that size plow or less. It had 16” rear tires. He thought the D and SD were too capable. Ever heard of a “4 bolt JD B”, they were marketed as garden tractors, I believe. Good topic, one I have thought about a lot. There has to be a dividing line somewhere, right. If I build a 4 wheel drive “garden tractor” and weight it heavy enough and build a 3 bottom plow with 6” bottoms for it to pull and it does it, is it a garden tractor? Back to the subject. No I personally don’t think of cub lowboys as being garden tractors. I like them though, I just categorize them differently in my mind.

#15 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 8299 Thanks
  • 5712 posts

Posted October 14, 2020 - 08:51 PM

The answer is simple, if your using it in the garden it's a garden tractor.  :D

And from there it depends on the size of the garden as to how big of equipment you need.

• Cvans, Kster526, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks