• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JayWest OFFLINE  

JayWest
  • Member No: 77204
  • 49 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted October 09, 2020 - 09:00 AM

What do you guys do for a transaxle flush? Keep in mind my bolens was sitting in a basement for 30 years untouched, and I'm sure there was no transaxle fluid change immediately beforehand.

Normally i'd just warm it up, drain the old and in with the new but since it's been sitting so long and I don't know how fresh the fluid was that was in there I have a feeling I should do something more.

One suggestion was filling it with diesel fuel and driving around the yard a time or two before putting the new fluid in. This won't hurt it? Or should I just change the fluid out a few times in a row with a few hours engine time between? What do you folks do for one that has been sitting?

J

#2 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2710 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted October 09, 2020 - 10:34 AM

I don’t think the diesel fuel rinse would hurt anything. As long as it’s only driven a coupe of minutes to splash it around on the moving parts. Maybe let it sit and soak an hour or so and dissolve the sludge? Gear drive tractor, correct? I usually remove the bottom plate and clean the crud off that and what ever I can reach up inside. Doing the repeated lube changes should work ok too. All in what you want to do. Just getting the old out and fresh in will be a big improvement. Maybe remove the bottom plate and check for metal fragments after you give it a rinse? Most gear drive tractors will have some amount of metal fragments depending on how they have been operated over the years. I always put a small magnet on the bottom plate when I have one off. A magnetic drain plug would be good too.
  • oldironmm and JayWest have said thanks

#3 oldironmm ONLINE  

oldironmm
  • Member No: 32034
  • 1287 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 09, 2020 - 03:45 PM

I agree with Dave on the diesel flush as long as it is a gear drive. I've flushed gear drives like that before worked pretty good.
  • Dave in NY and JayWest have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transaxle, transmission, gear box, flush