8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15605 Thanks
  • 8854 posts

Posted October 04, 2020 - 07:41 AM

Had a killing frost Friday morning down in the bottom where the garden is.  Yesterday Carolyn picked the rest of the tomatoes she wanted and removed the cages.  Had a couple watermelon that didn't make it so they went of the fence for the goats.  Cut the vines off the Sweet potatoes and they went over the fence so I don't have to contend with them in the plow later.  Opened the walk through gate and left.  Wasn't 5 min till the 5 goats found the open gate and they could not resist.  They can have it till I plow it later.  Have about 15 hills of sweet potatoes to dig yet.  Tried the other day and it was so dray and hard could not get the fork in the ground.  Run the soaker hose and forgot it.  left it way to long and now I have mud.  Will dry out and they will get dug then.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 8 others have said thanks

#2 oldironmm ONLINE  

oldironmm
  • Member No: 32034
  • 1133 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted October 04, 2020 - 10:34 AM

Couple of days ago it was in the 20's up here. Had to have the heater on in the grain cart tractor first thing in the morning and as the day went on turned on the a/c till late afternoon then the heater again. Frost finally got the rest of the corn that was still had some green leaves on them.
  • KennyP, MNGB, Vrdaddy and 2 others have said thanks

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 2550 Thanks
  • 2125 posts

Posted October 04, 2020 - 03:05 PM

saturday morning here it was 42 and glad there was no frost. I still have peppers peas and some tomatoes growing. I think we have maybe 2 more weeks before frost. It is usually about the first week in November before frons here.

Edited by jms180, October 04, 2020 - 03:06 PM.

• KennyP, oldironmm, MNGB and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1243 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted October 04, 2020 - 03:37 PM

We have not had a frost here yet.  Last year we got snow the last weekend of September.  Weather has been dry and warm.

We are digging spuds.  The pole beans are in decline, and we are not seeing many pollinators either. 

We are having our best year for tomatoes both in quantity and size, with many still turning on the plants.  We have a cover ready in case we need it. 

We still have carrots, beets, and parsnips to dig, and Brussels sprouts to harvest, but will wait until after some frost.  Still have a couple of Kohl rabi left to harvest. 

This was a late summer, so the watermelon and cantaloupe only got to the size of a baseball. 

The Mrs. is trying a second season for peas and salad greens.  They are doing well in spite of not being planted soon enough.  The idea to try a second season for those was an off the cuff idea.  We will do it a little earlier next year. 

Some friends gave us two starts for golden raspberries which have done very well.  We have gotten two pickings off of them this year much to our surprise. 

We will plant garlic towards the end of the month. 

Our soil needs more amendments, so we have been picking up some composted manure.  Manure is starting to get scarce around here, as the land gets developed to house all the Californians that are moving in, and some places are charging $50 a pick up load.  Who would have thought that manure would become a commodity?  If push comes to shove, there are more gardeners around here than the supply of manure. 

And speaking of supply, we hear that canning jars and lids are hard to come by.  Seems to be some sort of back to the land movement. 

With all the nonsense going on this year, it has been especially a privilege to spend time in the garden. 

Regards,

Doug

• Alc, KennyP, oldironmm and 3 others have said thanks

#5 426tractorguy OFFLINE  

426tractorguy

my tool box is way too small

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 439 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 05, 2020 - 08:52 AM

thats too bad. out garden is still running though :D

• MNGB said thank you

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 730 Thanks
  • 433 posts

Posted October 06, 2020 - 05:53 PM

Mine froze the other night.  Few melons, loads of pumpkins, still have turnips in the ground.  Several 'mater plants full... now with green ice cubes... LOL

• MNGB and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#7 Vrdaddy OFFLINE  

Vrdaddy
  • Member No: 86662
  • 818 Thanks
  • 308 posts

Posted October 12, 2020 - 05:01 PM

Last month I cleared out the garden and planted a cover crop of annual rye grass to put the garden to bed for the season, it's finally all thick and green

IMG_20201012_174851.jpg

IMG_20201012_175024.jpg
  • KennyP, MNGB, Doug E. and 2 others have said thanks

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 5029 Thanks
  • 2500 posts

Posted October 23, 2020 - 12:32 PM

The garden was all done here about 2 weeks ago got it plowed and now ha 8+" of snow cover, potatoes were not much this year but we got more squash than we can eat have givein some away nice big pumpkins gave them away also my Granddaughter got 3/4 we finally got enough tomatoes they were late and when the frost did get them there many many still on the vine

• KennyP, Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#9 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1243 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted October 23, 2020 - 07:46 PM

We got our killing frost last night, followed by about 6" of snow so far.  Frost was about a month late.  Snow is about a month early. 

In the last 100+ years that records have been being kept, we have had snow 20 times before Nov. 1st.  I have been here for two of those!

This has been a busy year, and we were scrambling to get stuff situated for the snow.  Still have carrots, beets, and a few spuds left in the ground.  The snow will keep them from freezing. 

Over night lows tomorrow are predicted to be 12 F.  Nothing like jumping into winter. 

D.

• KennyP, MNGB, Vrdaddy and 1 other said thanks