Garden Tractor Forums banner
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  boyscout862 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the world of bolens here and must say I'm loving it. The attachments available for these things are awesome! Anyway I bought a bolens 1256 on Facebook market place last week, came with a sickle bar, snow caster and mower deck. When I went to check it out the guy selling it started the tractor no problem and let me take it for a spin. Everything seemed fine sounded good and responded well to power up and down. Ran the pto and no problems. So I took it home and got to work with the sickle. After the second day at home I noticed little puffs of black smoke on the higher end. Figured the carb needed to be cleaned. Anyway I continued on and it seem to get worse and at this point the motor was sputtering. So I brought the throttle back down to idle and it seemed to stop sputtering and ran fine. So today I took of the carb and cleaned it, put it all back together and seems to be doing the same thing, getting slightly worse. I have tried basic carb turning per the zenith manual posted on one of these forums with not luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Thinking it is a fuel/air issue but not really sure. Anyone have any experience with these 1256's?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Not Bolens specific information but my first course would to pull the plug and see what it looked like. Whats the oil look like. Have you checked and cleaned or replaced the air filter. I never bring any thing home and put it directly to work. Usually change fluids and filters, find and give all the zerk fittings a shot of grease. Also check plug and point gap, valve lash. Then just sit and stare to see if any thing looks phony or odd.

Don

#3 ·
black smoke would indicate too rich a fuel mixture

When you say cleaned the carb did you pull all the jets out & soak the carb in a solution ? Theres alot of tiny ports that may get clogged especially if it had old stale fuel , I'll usuallly blow them out with compressed air too .

check fuel supply from tank to carb the original fuel fitting at the tank has a fine mesh screen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.