• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#16 AcidTonic OFFLINE  

AcidTonic
  • Member No: 100542
  • 34 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 20, 2020 - 03:22 AM

It tries turning over if I put 12v to the solenoid small terminal. I tested the solenoid before putting it in. I indeed left the flywheel wire and only removed the other one. Put the nut back on too, it was off when I took the photo.

More to come

#17 AcidTonic OFFLINE  

AcidTonic
  • 34 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 20, 2020 - 07:19 PM

Is electronic ignition available for these? I thought I'd have an easier time finding it.

#18 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 262 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted August 20, 2020 - 08:53 PM

I don’t know if there is, I like to keep things as factory as possible.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#19 turmlos OFFLINE  

turmlos
  • Member No: 77832
  • 12 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 21, 2020 - 06:07 AM

Is electronic ignition available for these? I thought I'd have an easier time finding it.

A Stens Mega-Fire ignition module should work since your S7D has a flywheel magneto. However I'd stick with points & condenser as they're easy to find and cheap compared to good, non-aftermarket sets for the later S8D/TR10D/TRA10D series.

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17310 Thanks
  • 18799 posts

Posted August 21, 2020 - 09:26 AM

I'd recomend keeping these systems stock for performance .

Those nova kits only work on about 1/2 the engines you try them on they are not a guarantee

Points are easy to service and you know what you have then .

Repair kits YQ11

I have an overstock of these and selling at 50% off list

https://bolenspartsa...-condenser-kit/

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#21 AcidTonic OFFLINE  

AcidTonic
  • 34 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 21, 2020 - 09:33 PM

We have spark!

Cleaned points and have spark. Now runs on starting fluid! Won't run without it yet.

Disconnected fuel tank line. Plugged solid with sludge. Poured in my cleaning solution consisting of e85 gas, marvel mystery oil, PB blaster, and let the line hang down over a bucket.

Within about 5 minutes it started dripping and solid slugs of sludge are pouring out into the bucket every few minutes. Should free it up but says bad things about the state of the carb. My test solenoid popped from my last starting attempt where I ran the starter a tad too long and heated it up enough it no longer works. No biggie it wasn't big enough to be permanent anyways.

I hooked up another gas tank and ran a line to the carb and put a bit of 93 octane and marvel mystery oil to let flow into the carb overnight.

I'll try getting it to run off of the carburetor tomorrow. Excited that I'm likely able to use this engine.

Edited by AcidTonic, August 21, 2020 - 09:35 PM.

• Merle013 said thank you

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17310 Thanks
  • 18799 posts

Posted August 22, 2020 - 08:12 AM

most times these wisconsins can be brought back to live with minimal efforts, says alot about the quality

#23 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013

If I can't do it slow then it's not going to get done.

• Contributor
  • Member No: 74432
  • 374 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted August 22, 2020 - 11:15 AM

I grew up on cars and tractors with points in them. I always have a piece of sandpaper handy for cleaning points. Thanks for the videos and pics. They are helpful for my future project. After watching your videos I am convinced I need to redo the "Honey-Do" list so I can get started on mine. Hopefully the wife will not get too mad :D

#24 AcidTonic OFFLINE  

AcidTonic
  • 34 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 22, 2020 - 12:47 PM

Love the feedback, going to order tires after balking at the price tractor supply wanted.

Still looking for a snow thrower. That and the 30 inch reel mower deck. A rear Bolens weight is also on my list to acquire.

I need to order that steering part that was mentioned above, I'd like to get that fixed up next. Do you have a link to buy that or must I "inquire"?

Gas tank is completely freed up after dripping the dissolved varnish into a catch bucket overnight. Carb still seems bad so it will be pulled next if blasting some compressed air inside the inlet doesnt free it up.

Otherwise I will toss it in the ultrasonic overnight with some carb cleaner. If that fails I will take it apart and do it "right".

Edited by AcidTonic, August 22, 2020 - 12:48 PM.

#25 AcidTonic OFFLINE  

AcidTonic
  • 34 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 22, 2020 - 06:25 PM

Carb came off. It seems immaculate inside. But I cannot blow through the fuel opening. Seems plugged. Not sure if I need to poke it or what.... It's down and around a corner thus I can't really see.

The rest including the floats look brand new and not varnished. More to come.

#26 AcidTonic OFFLINE  

AcidTonic
  • 34 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 22, 2020 - 08:32 PM

It runs! Tiny opening for the bowl had the closing needle stuck and I had to gently free it and widen the bore just enough so it wouldn't get stuck.

Tossed fuel and it fired right up. Runs really good and I now will pivot to tires and fixing the steering.

Tomorrow when I get time I will see if the trans has all the gears or not and take a video.
  • kjmweld said thank you

#27 AcidTonic OFFLINE  

AcidTonic
  • 34 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 23, 2020 - 11:01 AM

Runs good. Now just need to fix some minor wiring, the steering, and tires. Super excited as I have never driven one of these.
  • Austen, Merle013 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#28 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3427 Thanks
  • 1393 posts

Posted August 23, 2020 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the video!

#29 AcidTonic OFFLINE  

AcidTonic
  • 34 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 24, 2020 - 01:51 PM

I doubt it will hold but the steering bolt that broke off still had some threads left so I was able to re-thread it back into the steering gear. But it's about half way threaded and likely going to break again. Difference this time is I won't steer it stopped or with flat tires. Ordered the new part from one of the vendors here for when it does.

I noticed the link on the rear seemed not factory, that one the stud was replaced with a heim joint and two nuts clamping it to the spherical ball.

I ordered 4 AG tires, I don't really have any true need for them thus I doubt I will break anything. I just like the look of them. May run only Ag tires in the back and regular tires up front, but first I will try all 4 and see how that looks.

Today I will spend time fixing wiring if I can muster the energy. I wanted to remove the plate under the choke/throttle but the knobs for the throttle/chock didn't seem interested in coming off of the arm and I didn't feel like unbolting it underneath so I put it back. Plate needs a good de-rusting for sure.

I will get a garden battery for it and another solenoid. Going to look at having my Upholstery company make a factory replacement seat. Thinking about leaving the color scheme alone and just running it like it is. I guess repainting it seems to really polarize people and some love it, others think it's ruined with a repaint.

Still on the fence about that. Also has lots of room on the operator platform for installing a Z-Trimmer electronic trimmer powered off the generator. Not sure the generator charge output but the Ztrimmer wants 20amps. May need a secondary alternator if the stock generator is below 20amps which is likely.

Just musing out loud....

Edited by AcidTonic, August 24, 2020 - 01:53 PM.

#30 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 262 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted August 24, 2020 - 04:49 PM

Generator is only 10 amps