• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 12719 Thanks
  • 5724 posts

Posted July 30, 2020 - 05:26 PM

If you have multiple garden tractors and use them in all seasons, which one has the best traction. And I know tires, wheel weighs and loaded tires make a difference. Plus attachments hanging of front or back. Just a general question for some discussion and entertainment. This only applies to garden tractors with 12” rear wheels. But any other sizes can be mentioned as how they compare to 12” wheel garden tractors. Just for discussion. Just a foolish idea I had. Just trying to have some fun.

Noel
  • Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#2 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 918 Thanks
  • 617 posts

Posted July 30, 2020 - 06:28 PM

10 John Deere's, best traction is easy, 420 with diff lock, 75lb wheel weights and bar tires.

• propane1 and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 12719 Thanks
  • 5724 posts

Posted July 30, 2020 - 06:37 PM

Wow. Ya that sounds good.

Noel.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6296 Thanks
  • 4385 posts

Posted July 30, 2020 - 06:54 PM

Bolens tube frame

3 speed with hi/lo range and differential lock. They are darn near unstoppable with wheel weights and a set of good chains on regular old turf tires. I've stalled the engine out on my old 1050 before it lost traction and that was with the plow hanging off of the front axle.

I got it sorta stuck 1 time up in the woods. Burried it up to the hubs in soft sandy leaf covered soil while pulling a big hunk of wild cherry firewood. Had to unhook my chain but it crawled rite out in reverse with a bit of seat wiggling.lol 

It's getting a bit hard to find a good running 50 year old Bolens that isn't plumb worn out and doesn't need a pile of work and money thrown at it to make it usable.

My Cub Cadet 1541 does really good but it has Antifreeze loaded tires that weigh around 130lbs each + a set of 35lb wheel weights and 2 link chains on it. It will dig deep ruts and bury it's self pretty quick. 

Pre 1969 JDs had a limited slip differential.I forget which ones exactly but my buddy has 1 that he pulls with. It does pretty darn good.

I think it's a bit easier to get a hydro stuck. When they spin you'll instinctively want to put the hammer down which will often make it worse.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 30, 2020 - 06:57 PM.

#5 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 888 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted July 30, 2020 - 07:41 PM

Out of my dozen or so Wheel Horses. My Raider 12 with a limited slip diff, wheel weights and 23-8.50x12 ags hooks up the best. My 867, again with limited slip diff, turf tires & chains is also hard to stop. I also have a 1045D (custom) that has 26-12x12 ags that does surprisingly well with no added weight.

I have noticed by the above posts as well as my post that diff lock or limited slip seems to be a trend when talking traction.

#6 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• 918 Thanks
  • 617 posts

Posted July 30, 2020 - 09:03 PM

Bolens tube frame

3 speed with hi/lo range and differential lock. They are darn near unstoppable with wheel weights and a set of good chains on regular old turf tires. I've stalled the engine out on my old 1050 before it lost traction and that was with the plow hanging off of the front axle.

I got it sorta stuck 1 time up in the woods. Burried it up to the hubs in soft sandy leaf covered soil while pulling a big hunk of wild cherry firewood. Had to unhook my chain but it crawled rite out in reverse with a bit of seat wiggling.lol 

It's getting a bit hard to find a good running 50 year old Bolens that isn't plumb worn out and doesn't need a pile of work and money thrown at it to make it usable.

My Cub Cadet 1541 does really good but it has Antifreeze loaded tires that weigh around 130lbs each + a set of 35lb wheel weights and 2 link chains on it. It will dig deep ruts and bury it's self pretty quick. 

Pre 1969 JDs had a limited slip differential.I forget which ones exactly but my buddy has 1 that he pulls with. It does pretty darn good.

I think it's a bit easier to get a hydro stuck. When they spin you'll instinctively want to put the hammer down which will often make it worse.

The limited slip JD is the hydraulic lift 112, only in a certain serial number range in 68 or 69. Now that Achto brought up Wheel Horses, my uncle has a GT14 that's like a mini dozer with the blade on it. We put 4x4 truck tires on the rear.

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, July 30, 2020 - 09:13 PM.

• EricFromPa, propane1 and 4getgto have said thanks

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 12719 Thanks
  • 5724 posts

Posted July 31, 2020 - 09:07 AM

I have 6 tractors that I’ve used for garden and dirt work and winter snow removal. All have ag tires. Three also have chains, and two have weights.
JD 140H3 is number one. Split brakes help.
LGT 165 Ford X’s 2, Are number two. Both very good, very close to the JD 140H3.
MF 14 is number three. Could not pull the JD 140H3 in a tug of war. Both have the same rear tire. 14 had weight on it too.
LGT100 Ford, aka Grunt. Is fourth, but does the job. It’s down fall is, it’s lighter than the above tractors. No chain or weight on it either.
MF 12 is last. It’s not very good for traction. It has the ags, chains, and wheel weights. It gets stuck tilling. First pass not so bad, second pass, stuck. The LGT 165 Ford never gets stuck tilling. When the snowthrower was on the front of the MF 12. Stuck in places. Would take out the LGT 165 Ford and pull it out, then drive the ford into the same spot. Never get stuck. Try to make it stuck. Would drive out forward or backward. I’m allways watching what I do and where I’m goin with the MF 12, because of its lack of traction.

Noel.
  • KennyP and 4getgto have said thanks

#8 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• 918 Thanks
  • 617 posts

Posted July 31, 2020 - 10:08 AM

Split brakes do help, any old farmer or tractor puller will attest to that.The real trick is putting just the right amount of pressure on the brakes, just enough to slow the spinning wheel, yet not lock it.

• EricFromPa, KennyP, propane1 and 1 other said thanks