• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 710 Thanks
  • 347 posts

Posted July 23, 2020 - 07:16 PM

I got a 04 Husqvarna YTH2148 in for repair. He's complain about the tractor , almost a skip or chattering when you're cutting. with it. I drove it today and cut my grass. It was fine until about 3/4 of the ways done. It seems like when you're on an angle and turn the wheel to a tight turn, it chatters and slips, but catches pretty quick. At first I thought it might be a stripped pulley on the top of the hydro, but it only does it when it's fully warmed up. If it was the pulley ( And I've had a few strip out), it would do it cold or hot. Of course, you can't check fluid while in the tractor, plus gas tank is right above it. 

It has a model H2000 Peerless Silent trac in it. Number H2000 006A41 130623. I imagine i could swap a Craftsman one into it, since both are built by AYP. 

It also feels like it's ok, then chatters and slips, but catches itself and it's fine until the next tight right or left turn. Any ideas or suggestions? Nice tractor other than this problem. I'll bet the original owner sold it because a shop wanted to put a new transaxle in. 

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2551 Thanks
  • 1620 posts

Posted July 24, 2020 - 07:26 AM

... it's fine until the next tight right or left turn. ...

The differential is only active in turns.  Maybe start there? Jack up the rear and spin the tires to see if they rotate smoothly in opposite directions?

#3 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • 710 Thanks
  • 347 posts

Posted July 24, 2020 - 08:01 PM

I'll try that. Been doing some reading and these are troublesome. Some have stripped gears in the gearbox section, missing a tooth  or 2. Makes them skip or jump. Complaints go back as far a 2004 on them. Not cheap to replace. Around $650 to 728 for a new unit. Same as a Craftsman DYT3000 or 4000. same era. It's a early 2000's because it has a Vanguard V twin in it. 

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• Member No: 8360
  • 9087 Thanks
  • 8191 posts

Posted July 26, 2020 - 01:44 AM

These were trouble, have seen and even bought some with trans not working. ON one I had behind the wheels on axle were quite a batch of big washers. They were all rusty and stuck together. Seemed like they were binding there with all the rust in them. Think it was between the hub and the axle case. I couldn't get hubs pulled, but did manage to cut one of those big washers out and oil up the remaining ones, which now had less bind. Believe it or not the axle turned after that and I actually drove the tractor around again. I never got the washer out of other side, I sold the tractor as is before fixing. Most take the big V-twins out and put in other things. I had one with a single Kohler that they said was junk, name doesn't come to me now and I avoid those also. Usually the 17hp smaller one.

#5 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • 710 Thanks
  • 347 posts

Posted August 01, 2020 - 05:59 PM

Well, I got the tractor cheap and when I loaded it on my trailer is slipped and really made a clattering noise from the rear and then caught and drove up the ramp. I took the transaxle out and it's sitting on the ground right now. I looked at a few pics of the internals and I'm wondering if the ring and pinion gears are bad. Looks like a ring gear and 4 small pinion gears on a couple of shafts. I've never been in any type of transaxle, but I may open this one up. Been looking for a used axle for this, all I find are the Hydro gear ones and the levers are different. It will bolt up, but it's not similar enough to make it work. Supposedly, the Craftsman DYT3000-4000 series uses the same axle. Anyone swap out an axle from something else and make it work without too much trouble? Curious..... Hate to part it out, as it is a super clean tractor. 

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 50101 Thanks
  • 52287 posts

Posted August 02, 2020 - 04:06 AM

Most likely those two machines were made in the same factory.

#7 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • 710 Thanks
  • 347 posts

Posted August 24, 2020 - 06:47 PM

Found a replacement transaxle for it from a DYT4000 Craftsman. Put it in and had to adjust the neutral position slightly. Seems to be working fine, but if the grass ever grows this summer with all this heat, I could put it to the test! I will tear down the original to see what is wrong. The hydro side seems ok, but the gear section is where I think it has some bad gears. We will see.

• KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: husqvarna