Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Arrgh, cracked the end of my crankshaft...

kohler

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gears OFFLINE  

gears
  • Member No: 74309
  • 92 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 11:16 AM

So I'm rebuilding my JD 216's Kohler 16hp K341 and when I went to pull the flywheel using my trusty old, pry and smack method I cracked the end of the crankshaft off! Right at the base of the threads, gone! AND, the flywheel was still tightly pressed onto the crank.

I called a guy in MO who sells rebuild kits and he said he can drill and tap the end of the crank for a 3/8 grade 8 stud and that will hold the flywheel on fine. I've got a lathe, why not drill and tap myself?

Anyone else run into strange things rebuilding engines? This is my first Kohler, that cam's a little tricky too.

Any advise or cautions?

• chieffan said thank you

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 16412 Thanks
  • 7449 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 11:51 AM

Sounds like a new crankshaft is in order..  I'd hate to have the flywheel decide to pop off when a repaired C/S let loose..  JMO

• KennyP said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 6585 Thanks
  • 2672 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 12:04 PM

I've read where people have had this happen before. The later Kohler flywheels are retained with a bolt, so just drill and tap like you mentioned. The price of a new crankshaft will scare you and there's no need to replace it.

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2591 Thanks
  • 1302 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 12:11 PM

Yamaha had a heat treating problem on some of their pinions on shaft drive bikes.  The thing would break at the base of the threads and the gears would howl because the shaft would drift and mess up the gear lash.

A friend turned me a guide to aid in hand drilling them.  Drill, tap, grade 8 bolt.  Never needed to open the gear cases.

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 16412 Thanks
  • 7449 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 01:49 PM

I've read where people have had this happen before. The later Kohler flywheels are retained with a bolt, so just drill and tap like you mentioned. The price of a new crankshaft will scare you and there's no need to replace it.

There are used ones available..   One I saw was $75

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 8291 Thanks
  • 5703 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 01:59 PM

I drilled the crank in a K181 and didn't have any problems. Never took it out of the engine.

#7 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4437 Thanks
  • 2711 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 02:06 PM

I called a guy in MO who sells rebuild kits and he said he can drill and tap the end of the crank for a 3/8 grade 8 stud and that will hold the flywheel on fine. I've got a lathe, why not drill and tap myself?

Did exactly that on a Tecumseh 7 horse Worked fine. Hand drilled through the broken off piece into the crank. Clearance drilled the broken off piece and tapped the crank. The bolt was likely a grade five I never even looked.

Don

#8 gears OFFLINE  

gears
  • Member No: 74309
  • 92 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 02:49 PM

Thanks guys, it's on the lathe in the garage right now - I've got it torn down for a rebuild anyhow so the crank is out and centered.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 50002 Thanks
  • 52236 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 04:59 PM

Sounds like it's time to quit using the "my trusty old, pry and smack method" !

• WNYTractorTinkerer, chieffan and secondtry have said thanks

#10 426tractorguy OFFLINE  

426tractorguy

i want more tools

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 297 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 05:50 PM

i used that method but only after the flywheel soaked in multiple sprays of bolt blaster and next time im getting a puller

#11 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4437 Thanks
  • 2711 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 09:21 PM

Sounds like it's time to quit using the "my trusty old, pry and smack method" !

I used the pry and beat method starting before I was in my teens. when I purchased my first John Deere, a 70, More money invested than in any other mower i ever had. That is the one I used a puller on very carefully. It is also the only one I ever broke.

Don

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 6585 Thanks
  • 2672 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 10:16 PM

@WNYTractorTinkerer. I had no idea that you could buy a used crankshaft. Learn something new every day. I have lots of used crankshafts that can't be used without a trip to the machine shop. Hard to find machine shops to turn them around here anymore. The closest place to me is an hour away and 130.00 to turn it .010. Then there's the cost of him buying the used crank for 75.00 and a new rod. Just went through this with a buddies knocking K341. Some idiot installed the rod cap backwards on the rod and wiped the crankshaft and rod out.

#13 BHamby OFFLINE  

BHamby
  • Member No: 100044
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 10:24 PM

Kustom I think they are in ohio will turn it. They mine last year. Wasnt very expensive. Shipping wasnt bad either.
  • classic said thank you

#14 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 4677 Thanks
  • 1915 posts

Posted July 17, 2020 - 06:45 AM

Can honestly say I never seen or heard of a crank breaking off at the flywheel end.
And I smacked on a good many of them...🤔

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 16412 Thanks
  • 7449 posts

Posted July 17, 2020 - 12:48 PM

@WNYTractorTinkerer. I had no idea that you could buy a used crankshaft. Learn something new every day. I have lots of used crankshafts that can't be used without a trip to the machine shop. Hard to find machine shops to turn them around here anymore. The closest place to me is an hour away and 130.00 to turn it .010. Then there's the cost of him buying the used crank for 75.00 and a new rod. Just went through this with a buddies knocking K341. Some idiot installed the rod cap backwards on the rod and wiped the crankshaft and rod out.

WOW-  a comedy of bad luck..  Sounds like something that would happen to me!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler