3 replies to this topic

#1 edeholla OFFLINE  

edeholla
  • Member No: 100104
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 15, 2020 - 09:26 PM

Hello,

I recently acquired a new project, a beaten up Massey Ferguson MF-12. The mower has obviously been messed with, and i'm not too familiar with older Tecumseh engines. From what I can tell it is pre-1966, because it uses a belt driven generator to start the engine, and also uses a points and condenser system to create spark. It was not running before, and I get nothing when i turn the key. If anybody has a wiring diagram that would be super helpful. Also is it possible to swap a more modern coil onto the engine instead of using a points and condenser system? Thank you for your help!

Elliott DeHollander

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1181 Thanks
  • 1173 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 06:35 AM

The first year for a Massey 10 is 66.They used the starter generator for 66,67, and possibly 68 (not positive about 68).66 had the highly sought after aluminum dash. The early 66 10 also had the aluminum nose pc on front of hood. Not sure on serial number break down where they switched from aluminum to plastic. 66 and early 67 also had the cast iron steering arm on left front instead of cast aluminum. The first year for the 12 is 68 i believe. They had a starter generator.

As for your starting issue. There could be a couple issues. I would first check the inline fuse behind the dash. If thats ok get out a test light and check you solenoid and key switch.

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 12767 Thanks
  • 5758 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 09:31 AM

Should be wiring diagrams on this site in the manuals section.

Noel

#4 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• Member No: 1183
  • 537 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted July 16, 2020 - 08:19 PM

This past article may help you out; https://gardentracto...ery-early-mf10/  

I also have a 1966 MF10 with same system. It uses a magneto type system for the spark along with the points and condenser. The key switch is wired so when you turn the key to off you are grounding out the magneto. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massey