• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rmoore1229 OFFLINE  

rmoore1229
  • Member No: 96998
  • 13 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 03:34 PM

I have a '78ish Cub Cadet 81 with a 36" mower deck. The spindles need new bearings. I can't for the life of me figure out how to take them apart. I found a parts breakdown. It appears that part of the shaft is threaded which I can feel when I twist it. The pulley is riveted on and the grease fitting appears to be pressed in. I dont want to damage the spindles any further. This is my first cub cadet and I've never seen a spindle designed like this. Usually I just press the shaft out with a jaw puller. Any help would be appreciated. The spindle part number is 759-3000

Edited by rmoore1229, June 29, 2020 - 04:52 PM.

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 1062 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 04:04 PM

There's a big long procedure for rebuilding those.  Let me see if I can find my service book and get the steps to do it

#3 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 1062 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 04:18 PM

Right from the IH service manual:

20200629_170800.jpeg 20200629_170821.jpeg 20200629_170900.jpeg 20200629_170906.jpeg

Be gentle taking them apart some of the parts a fragile and not available anymore.  I rebuilt a pair for a customer at work close to 10 years ago and parts were scarce then.

These spindles were unique to the early Cub Cadet lawn tractors and rear engine riders and were replaced in the early 80's by a version of the more standard ones that are still used on them today

#4 rmoore1229 OFFLINE  

rmoore1229
  • 13 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 04:56 PM

Right from the IH service manual:
attachicon.gif20200629_170800.jpegattachicon.gif20200629_170821.jpegattachicon.gif20200629_170900.jpegattachicon.gif20200629_170906.jpeg

Be gentle taking them apart some of the parts a fragile and not available anymore. I rebuilt a pair for a customer at work close to 10 years ago and parts were scarce then.

These spindles were unique to the early Cub Cadet lawn tractors and rear engine riders and were replaced in the early 80's by a version of the more standard ones that are still used on them today

Thank you for the help. I can see why they replaced them. The pulleys thread in and out about a 1/2 turn when I spin them am I right to assume this shouldn't happen or could this be some sort of self tensioning thing. The only reason I ask is that I have two of these decks and all 4 spindles do this. I read in the literature you posted about a breaking mechanism in the spindle, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that

Edited by rmoore1229, June 29, 2020 - 05:00 PM.

#5 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 1062 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 06:11 PM

They're supposed to spin like that.  When you engage the pto it makes the pulleys spin up the shaft to turn the blades.  When you disengage it the pulleys go back down and rest on the brake (#5 & 6 in the diagram in the second picture) to keep the blades from coasting with the belt while the engine is running. 

#6 rmoore1229 OFFLINE  

rmoore1229
  • 13 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 08:59 PM

They're supposed to spin like that. When you engage the pto it makes the pulleys spin up the shaft to turn the blades. When you disengage it the pulleys go back down and rest on the brake (#5 & 6 in the diagram in the second picture) to keep the blades from coasting with the belt while the engine is running.

That makes more sense now. I guess the design is better than I first thought. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by rmoore1229, June 29, 2020 - 09:00 PM.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6180 Thanks
  • 4342 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 09:45 PM

Is is an old Cast end deck? They can be rebuilt but there a pain in the butt. 

Take the nut off of the top pulley and pry or pull the pulley off. Pop the grease seal out and Carefully pull the plastic bearing cage out and push the balls bearings all to 1 side and pull them out 1 at a time with a magnet. The races are built into the quill and housing. You can put new or slightly oversized ball bearings in them if you can find the correct size but that's all you can do with them short of replacing them.

My Uncle cut a set for me on his lathe for the deck on my old IH CC 70 so that they will take 2 x 2 piece timkin style roller bearings and seals. You have to turn the quill down and machine out the housing and press the new races into the housing. Quite a bit of work but it makes them easily rebuildable if you ever have to put new bearings in it again.   

EDIT!

Disregard this post I was thinking of the old Cast end deck on the model 71 Garden Tractor and not the Model 76,80,81,111,182,282 and 382 Lawn Tractor  :wallbanging: 

Edited by EricFromPa, June 30, 2020 - 12:01 AM.

#8 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 1062 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 10:17 PM

Is is an old Cast end deck? They can be rebuilt but there a pain in the butt. 

Take the nut off of the top pulley and pry or pull the pulley off. Pop the grease seal out and Carefully pull the plastic bearing cage out and push the balls bearings all to 1 side and pull them out 1 at a time with a magnet. The races are built into the quill and housing. You can put new or slightly oversized ball bearings in them if you can find the correct size but that's all you can do with them short of replacing them.

My Uncle cut a set for me on his lathe for the deck on my old IH CC 70 so that they will take 2 x 2 piece timkin style roller bearings and seals. You have to turn the quill down and machine out the housing and press the new races into the housing. Quite a bit of work but it makes them easily rebuildable if you ever have to put new bearings in it again.   

This is for a lawn tractor deck.  They're a completely different design from any of the spindles used on the garden tractors.  They have a cast aluminium housing that's held onto the deck with 3 bolts like most of the gts but that's about all that's the same.  They use needle bearings to hold the shaft and the pulley spins up on a spiral like a starter bendix to turn the blades and a block on the bottom of the spindle with 2 bolts to hold the blade.  Maybe rmoore1229 can post some pictures when he gets his apart.  This is all I have right now for a picture: 282 deck.png

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6180 Thanks
  • 4342 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 11:57 PM

Oh I missread lol. Model 81 the lawn tractor not the model 71 garden tractor. lol

Ok the spindle part number is old part # IH 144391 C91 new part # 959-3000

Parts breakdown. Bearings are $13.94 each Most of the parts are still available. https://www.partstre...connections-16/

Looks like you have to take the blade adapter off and remove a snap ring on the bottom to disassemble the spindle. Remove the snap ring and the shaft should pull out of the housing.

That's quite the funky setup. It uses needle bearings instead of conventional roller or ball bearings and has an integral brake built into the spindle. 

Edited by EricFromPa, June 30, 2020 - 12:04 AM.

#10 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 18863 Thanks
  • 6355 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 10:06 AM

Took the page images and created a pdf that may be easier to print off.

Attached Files

• EricFromPa and diesel nut have said thanks

#11 oldironmm ONLINE  

oldironmm
  • Member No: 32034
  • 1014 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 10:59 PM

Yes they are a very odd design, but they work. I have a red 382 hydro that has the same deck you are asking about. I have one that the pulley wanted to keep coming off, so the threads for the nut where jacked up enough that loctight wouldn't hold it. When this happened it messed up the cap with the grease zerk. Mine used a metal ring and 4 screws to hold it in place. I just ended up just tack welding the nut in place and for the cap I went to my local NAPA and found a dust cap that fit and the ring went over to hold it in place. For the grease zerk, I drilled a hole and tapped it for the zerk to screw in. Works like a charm. Now I know that is on the extreme side, but I was more trying to tell about using a dust cap. Long story for a small problem.