• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Compact7 ONLINE  

Compact7
  • Member No: 86901
  • 26 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 28, 2020 - 11:08 PM

A 1998 JD LX176 joined the herd last week and I'm giving some love to the neglected areas. All in all, not bad, considering its age. Everything was functional when we bought it for $400. Doing lots of reading and studying the service manual.

When I tried the electric PTO, the blades spun right up. The deck wheels had been set to hold it at near-maximum cutting height and our lawn had just been mowed, so I couldn't check cut quality. I did notice all the dried grass flying out though!

Took the too-large 48" deck off in the weekend heat and got the major crud removed. The blades were beat up and dull. It required use of my genuine MG Cheater exhaust pipe on the breaker bar to "pop" those bolts free. Since I'll be replacing them, I did a quickie job on the belt sander and made up a bearing for static balance. Halfway through that, I noticed how much crud had adhered to the blades. Hmm, wonder if that might affect the fine balance I'd just achieved? Out came the old wood chisel and started over with the balancing act.

The engine, while the oil and air filter looked clean, its exterior is also on the dirty, neglected side and the frame beneath is rust-free! That's mostly due to leaked or slobbed oil, but not so bad it can't be cleaned with a few shop rags and a good scrub.

Fairly new seat and not much rust anywhere. Biggest aesthetic issue is the busted up hood. Why so cheap and crummy, compared to the general beefiness of everything else? But $200 for a replacement? Not happenin' here. I'll spend $300 worth of my time fixing it first, then go buy one.

A few pics to get the ball rolling. Got a few ideas on putting some lipstick on the hood, maybe a little paint refresh. Be nice if I could score a 38" deck. It would better suit our smaller yard and mainly, my ebbing muscles!

It joins it's much older stablemates, a sorely wore out and abused 1971 Sears Compact 7 and a Dynamark 18/42. Got both of those for $50 as a pair in 2008 and I've kept them sporadically running and working the past 12 years without seriously upping their cumulative cost. :D They're both bordering on dangerous to operate. The Dynamark's brakes recently stopped braking, for example. So this new-to-us John Deere is more for her than me, to have something that she can hop on and actually expect to start it up and mow! :happybday:

I asked her what do we call it? In about a second and a half, she replied Buford. So Buford it is!

-Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• EDO_1511.JPG
  • EDO_1509.JPG
  • EDO_1515.JPG
  • EDO_1516.JPG
  • EDO_1512.JPG
  • EDO_1514.JPG
  • EDO_1518.JPG
  • EDO_1523.JPG
  • EDO_1524.JPG
  • EDO_1525.JPG
  • EDO_1507.JPG

Edited by Compact7, June 28, 2020 - 11:17 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, Merle013 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 8964 Thanks
  • 8285 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 05:33 AM

Quite a bit of baffling they use on the underside of those deck !   

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 2505 Thanks
  • 2104 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 07:58 AM

nice work thanks for sharing the post

• Compact7 said thank you

#4 Compact7 ONLINE  

Compact7
  • Member No: 86901
  • 26 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 10:05 AM

Quite a bit of baffling they use on the underside of those deck !   

This is a mulching deck, but I think the PO only had standard blades on it. It must've worked, it was showing a lot of use! The dried grass was packed into shapes that followed the flow like berms on a dirt bike racing track!

• Alc said thank you