• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3427 Thanks
  • 1393 posts

Posted August 23, 2020 - 08:49 PM

It's getting the full "WrenchinOnIt" treatment! Yes, that is a lot more than new tires, paint and some hoses! It'll sure be a mechanically sound tractor when you're done but will retain the original story-telling patina on the tins. Nice, yes, very nice.

I love following your work and the detail you always give on every improvement always makes for an interesting read. :thumbs:

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 50117 Thanks
  • 52293 posts

Posted August 24, 2020 - 03:20 AM

Lookin' good!

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Austen and 1 other said thanks

#33 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 19397 Thanks
  • 6576 posts

Posted August 24, 2020 - 10:39 AM

Very sharp looking machine that will stand the test of time for many years to come.

#34 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt

Got Sum

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 5020 Thanks
  • 1203 posts

Posted September 09, 2020 - 05:54 PM

Pretty much done, started out to change the four motor mounts and add the power steering...

Before , (day of purchase)

zmnLmFa.jpg

8EH902V.jpg

After (yesterday)

Lt8ROGz.jpg

ojmTKJd.jpg
oLuwylN.jpg
Cw5M5hQ.jpg

Custom pieces
9IyLJ2s.jpg
uo4fRd3.jpg
rvBH1Mr.jpg

Thanks Austen :worship:

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, September 09, 2020 - 06:15 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Austen and 5 others have said thanks

#35 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3427 Thanks
  • 1393 posts

Posted September 09, 2020 - 06:18 PM

Nice job with the photos!

Every time I see it, I can spot something else you did!

I'll say it again, those beautiful wheel weights sure set the machine off, wow! I like how you kept the original patina, yet made several other aesthetic improvements like the tires, work light, foot pads,,,, the list goes on in WrenchinOnIt fashion! Not to mention the mechanical upgrades and reliability you added to it like all the new hoses, PS; it is the quite the machine. I would have liked to have watched you route the wiring for the light through the frame.  :D

There is so much to look at. I never really realized that there is a 3rd pedal, an original Bolens one it appears too, that is connected to the normal treadle pedal. Neat that Johnson must've purchased those separately from Bolens to include with the kit which only made it look more factory instead of making their own generic. Kind of cool to think about. I like the battery hold down too and the decal fits perfect. It doesn't get any more mouth watering for the Bolens enthusiast. Yes, that one for sure is a keeper. :worshippy1:

Edited by Austen, September 09, 2020 - 07:05 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Mark 149 J. and 2 others have said thanks

#36 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3194 Thanks
  • 1216 posts

Posted September 09, 2020 - 06:41 PM

Huge improvement in the cosmetic dept (not that it was very bad looking to begin with). I really love your choices of the tires & larger front wheels. The detailed wheel weights are the cherry on top of an already sweet wheel/tire package.
As always (in true wrenchinonit fashion), you've done so many subtle upgrades which make it a far better machine than it ever was new, the shame in it is that even a trained eye can miss many of them.
Isn't that how it always goes tho? Start off doing a few needed/wanted things & end up going rite thru it.
Thanks to Austen I now notice the Bolens foot petal used by johnson for the forklift set up too, & agree that was a nice touch on their part. As in your face as that was to spot, you've done such a great job on everything else that my eyes were drawn rite away from noticing it, until now.
Beautiful machine Kevin 👌, super nice tractor to have in the collection. 💕

#37 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt

Got Sum

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5020 Thanks
  • 1203 posts

Posted September 09, 2020 - 06:48 PM

Nice job with the photos!

Every time I see it, I can spot something else you did!

I'll say it again, those beautiful wheel weights sure set the machine off, wow! I like how you kept the original patina, yet made several other aesthetic improvements like the tires, work light, foot pads,,,, the list goes on in WrenchinOnIt fashion! Not to mention the mechanical upgrades and reliability you added to it like all the new hoses, PS; it is the quite the machine. I would have liked to have watched you route the wiring for the light through the frame.  :D

There is so much to look at. I never really realized that there is a 3rd pedal, an original Bolens one it appears too, that is connected to the normal treadle pedal. Neat that Johnson must've purchased those separately from Bolens to include with the kit which only made it look more factory instead of making their own generic. Kind of cool to think about. I like the battery hold down too and the decal perfect. It doesn't get any more mouth watering for the Bolens enthusiast. Yes, that one for sure is a keeper. :worshippy1:

HaHa noooo , YOU NICE JOB WITH THE PICS !!
Thanks buddy it is a very cool machine IMO. I posted here when I bought it I always wanted one after seeing Sonnys back in the day on his website, in my collecting daydreaming I owned a 1477 like it and it would have power steering ... got fortunate and made it happen.

I sold it this spring to Dave M. from the UK he paid immediately and paid me to deliver it to Ohio , covid restrictionists a couple days later. My good buddy Rick was going to co pilot the trip but all non essentials were frowned upon. Dave was super he said let it ride he was good whenever I could deliver, it started to bother me, I had his money and his unit and only name recognition between us. I waffled, he persisted in no problem no worries, it was a good chunk of change and the not knowing of what the damned pandemic’s outcome would be I sent his money back, he again stated he’d rather continue on but I decided against it with the promise of revisiting the deal when things calmed down.

As luck would have it when I finally went to get it from storage it balked , I buried it in the mud, got the truck stuck, tore up my moms yard and so on. I shoved it back into the pole barn with the big tractor and waited till things dried out. Finally dried out , had to winch it onto the trailer as it was squealing some as it ran and I didn’t know the cause. Turns out it was low on hydro fluid ( on me , can’t see the lines on the dipstick well, thought the full line was the low line and well it was low). As I started using it the mast lift would act up sometimes it lifted fine others it didn’t. I figured that was an omen and I was happy I didn’t sell it to Dave as he’d of inherited this and it’d be in England and and and.

It was the last Bolens I bought while my wife was still alive , she “tolerated” my affliction, truly enjoyed are many road trip/sight seeing/getaways after them , but mostly she  paid little notice to them ( other than “ you really need that many ?”) but she liked the forklift, my 11 year old daughter who hasn’t wrenched with me since her momma went to heaven was sad when I told her I had sold it... happy when I said I changed my mind. She actually buffed the tins for me and she likes painting the Bolens on the weights... almost like old times again, almost...  Here it is and here it will stay, that, I have promised.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, September 10, 2020 - 07:44 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Austen and 3 others have said thanks

#38 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 3619 Thanks
  • 2330 posts

Posted September 09, 2020 - 08:13 PM

So glad you,(and your little one)decided this should stay in the collection,as others stated,the old with the improvements really set it off, will be watching for the next forklift project,glad to see you back working on these machines,nice job !!!!
  • Bolens 1000, WrenchinOnIt, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#39 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt

Got Sum

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5020 Thanks
  • 1203 posts

Posted September 09, 2020 - 08:42 PM

So glad you,(and your little one)decided this should stay in the collection,as others stated,the old with the improvements really set it off, will be watching for the next forklift project,glad to see you back working on these machines,nice job !!!!

Thanks buddy, said it here before , our friendship became because of the Bolens biz , but has surpassed the enjoyment of the hobby.  I value that immensely. 
Most of my stuff has a tie to you, this one the 10” front wheels and the power steering unit , thanks again. 

Yes as storage necessities has forced my hand but also made me acknowledge to myself some things have to go , rearranging and condensing is on going as is new storage needs being reviewed and undertaken, I’m moving thru  many unfinished projects , freeing up space will allow “ for the next forklift project” soon 

Spoiler Alert 

Attached Thumbnails

• 8AAB2CA1-65A5-483B-BDE5-7F428232AEC5.jpeg

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#40 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3427 Thanks
  • 1393 posts

Posted September 09, 2020 - 11:15 PM

Very heartfelt message, Kevin, thanks for sharing. The forklift is an extra special machine for you guys. Thank you for continuing to post here, it is always a treat to see your content and it is an privlege to know you.  

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and greenhouse guy have said thanks

#41 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17322 Thanks
  • 18800 posts

Posted September 10, 2020 - 08:05 AM

Another outstanding job !

#42 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt

Got Sum

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5020 Thanks
  • 1203 posts

Posted September 14, 2020 - 07:20 PM

Tried it out today. Pleasantly surprised at how much difference the power steering makes. There is approximately 500 lbs of counterweight plus around 90 lbs in the front wheel weights and whatever a full tank of gas and the battery weight it’s handling but also the wider front tires.  It absolutely will steer with one finger. 

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, September 14, 2020 - 08:57 PM.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#43 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3427 Thanks
  • 1393 posts

Posted September 14, 2020 - 08:42 PM

Boy, If the operator(s) before only knew that they could've had 1-finger steering all that time! Ha! Maybe not all that bad, but either way, a PS system is the natural fit for that machine. It definitely was a deserving candidate for the NOS treatment too and I'll bet you were glad you saved it all this time and were able to put it on this machine.

Thanks for the demonstration, from what you described to me on the differences between the early vs. later style Bolens PS system from an operator's perspective, I'd have guessed it was the later type judging by how easy it is to steer.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Mark 149 J. and 2 others have said thanks

#44 greenhouse guy OFFLINE  

greenhouse guy
  • Member No: 90018
  • 22 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 16, 2020 - 06:10 PM

Very nice ! I like it. We could use it at our place if you ever get tired of it   :)

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks