• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ArticulatingBob OFFLINE  

ArticulatingBob
  • Member No: 99862
  • 27 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 26, 2020 - 08:03 AM

Folks: I have owned a Bolens articulating mower for over 25 years. As most of you know, these were made my Stiga. Mine has a label on it saying it is a model 944. It is the 5 speed model (not hydrostatic.). Attached is the owners manual that I got with the machine (excuse the scribbling on the cover). Over the years I have managed to find replacement parts with not too much difficulty to keep the unit running in good order. But now I am stumped. I need a parts diagram of the steering assembly  and will need what I believe are bearings at the top and the bottom of the steering shaft. But I don't know for sure and I don't like taking things a part unless I have spares on hand. Plus I use this unit regularly.

Can anyone advise where I can obtain a parts diagram and source the steering parts. Alternately if someone has done this repair and can explain how they accomplished it, that would be a big help as well. 

Thanks in advance to all that respond.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• mower manual.jpeg

• kjmweld and fredh have said thanks

#2 fredh OFFLINE  

fredh
  • Member No: 89006
  • 97 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted June 26, 2020 - 09:58 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. I have the model 966. I can not help with your problem but maybe you can help with mine. I have been looking for an operators manual and have not been able to find one.  Would you be able to post copies or make copies, which I would be glad to pay for? Thanks, Fred.

• kjmweld said thank you

#3 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3384 Thanks
  • 1280 posts

Posted June 26, 2020 - 10:58 PM

This link may help to identify the part #'s you're looking for. The site this link takes you to, is kind of a pain to navigate because you have to go page by page (11 in total as I recall). But the drawings/diagrams are there w/corresponding part #'s on the following page. I didn't have any luck figuring out if it could be downloaded into a PDF format. Anyway, my understanding is these little frame steers are all basically the same with some minor details, maybe there's stuff within the site that'll help. Good luck guys 👍

gttalk wouldn't allow me to post this link, just add the http: before this //jacqueslacasse.tripod.com/Bolens/FS11_parts/index.htm
  • Doug E. and fredh have said thanks

#4 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 3384 Thanks
  • 1280 posts

Posted June 26, 2020 - 11:12 PM

Trying to find a way around this for you guys...
Type the first picture into your browser, then look for the highlighted link in the 2nd picture to access the parts manual that hopefully will help you with what you're looking for.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20200627-000640.png
  • Screenshot_20200627-000013.png

• Doug E., 4getgto and fredh have said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 5054 Thanks
  • 2882 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 07:17 AM

Welcome to GTT, Bob !  :wave:    Where in Canada are you located?

The parts manual for the model 940 (FS11) is posted in the Frame Steer section of the Bolens manuals posted in the Manuals forum here at GTT.

(Sorry, but this forum software will not let me post a direct link to it.)

I do not know how different the model 940 is from your model 944.  ...They may or may not be the same unit with a different engine. 

Not knowing much about these units, here is what I learned:

Model 940 was 1981 production, 11 hp, 40" cut with rear discharge.

Model 942 was produced 1982-1984, 11 hp, 42" cut with side discharge.

Model 943 was produced 1985-1987, 11hp, 42" cut with side discharge.

Model 944 was made 1988-1992, 12 hp, 42" cut with side discharge.

Model 966 was made 1990-1992, 16hp, 42" cut with side discharge.

• Doug E., kjmweld, fredh and 1 other said thanks

#6 ArticulatingBob OFFLINE  

ArticulatingBob
  • 27 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 07:39 AM

Navigated to the Jacqueslacasse website and found a part number for my unit. Thank you for that info. Now where to find it will be the challenge. Any ideas out there???  In response to Fred---I will scan my owners manual but it will take me some time. When I am done I will post to that effect.

• kjmweld, 4getgto and fredh have said thanks

#7 ArticulatingBob OFFLINE  

ArticulatingBob
  • 27 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 07:43 AM

Bruce: I am located in St. Catharines Ontario which is about 10 miles from Niagara Falls NY. Thanks for the info. It is interesting because my unit is definitely a 944 but the engine is 11hp. It is the Briggs engine with the cast iron sleeve which I understand is better. 

• Bruce Dorsi and kjmweld have said thanks

#8 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 5054 Thanks
  • 2882 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 08:05 AM

If you post the part number here, several vendors may see it.  ....Some of the sources buy old parts inventories, so it's possible someone may have the part(s).

If you can not find the part under a Bolens part number, it may be a bushing/bearing available elsewhere, once dimensions are known.

#9 ArticulatingBob OFFLINE  

ArticulatingBob
  • 27 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 08:52 AM

Part I am looking for is steering bushing, Bolens part #1813199. I don't know whether it is bronze, brass or plastic. I need 2.

• Bruce Dorsi, kjmweld and 4getgto have said thanks

#10 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 20191 Thanks
  • 6813 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 09:23 AM

My guess would be a nylon type of material.  Checked the part number with the data base information I have compiled so far but appears to be used only on the Frame Steer models such as the attached parts page for a FS940.

If you can measure the O.D. of the steering shaft and the ID of the steering column where they go there may be a stepped front wheel bearing or bushing for another garden tractor application that might work.  Could also be machined out of nylon or bronze on a metal lathe as a last resort.  Just suggestions that may help if you cannot locate the proper part.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Parts Drawing.jpg
  • 2 Parts List.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, kjmweld and 2 others have said thanks

#11 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1279 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 10:58 AM

I also have a model 966 and would be interested in a copy of the manual.

Thanks,

Doug

• kjmweld, 4getgto and fredh have said thanks

#12 fredh OFFLINE  

fredh
  • 97 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 12:10 PM

Thanks to kjmweld and ArticulatingBob. I have tried to use parts breakdowns from other models only to find out the parts were different. It just requires a lot of digging to find the right parts. Even so just an operators manual would be a big help. Thanks for everyones help.  Fred.

• KennyP and 4getgto have said thanks

#13 ArticulatingBob OFFLINE  

ArticulatingBob
  • 27 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 02, 2020 - 08:04 PM

Folks: I have some good news regarding information for the Bolens frame steer lawn tractors. First of all I have completed scanning my owners manual and can make it available to anyone interested. It is in PDF format but a large file--14 MB. Also, with the help of Stiga in Europe I have a Parts Diagram for the Bolens 943,944, and 966 that cross references part numbers to Stiga.  It is also in PDF format but it is a small file, less than 1 MB. Stiga also referred me to a local dealer than can get the parts I need. No need to do a worldwide search !

Can someone please advise how I can best make this information available to forum members. 

Bob

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, Doug E. and 4 others have said thanks

#14 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 3384 Thanks
  • 1280 posts

Posted July 02, 2020 - 08:28 PM

Great news. Altho I am not in need of the information as I don't own one, I'm sure it'll help many a great deal. Tyvm for posting the good news. 👍
  • fredh said thank you

#15 fredh OFFLINE  

fredh
  • 97 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted July 03, 2020 - 12:52 PM

OK, Thanks Bob. What do we have to do or know to get the information you have gathered for us? Again, thank you, Fred.

• Doug E. said thank you