• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CrankshaftKaleb OFFLINE  

CrankshaftKaleb
  • Member No: 97122
  • 16 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 05:25 AM

Was running some injector cleaner through the engine on my Kubota G5200H when it started running rough and spitting a heap of oil out of the breather on the tappet cover.

GcxnCo8.jpg?1

When I went to check the oil, it started dripping out the dipstick hole! It was coming out grey and murky looking. NOT GOOD! This looks like some coolant has found its way into the sump. There was a bit of diesel in that tray from a fuel leak somewhere around the tank, which is the greeny-yellow stuff. 

8jlCfA1.jpg?1

COz9IN5.jpg?1

I decided to take off the tappet cover to try and assess the situation, and what a mess! That sure looks like coolant contamination to me.

I think I might have somehow blown a head gasket or worse, cracked the head. Be it so, I've already invested a lot of my money in this thing, so I refuse to give up on it at this point.

Any thoughts on the problem and what else I should check? I have a pretty well equipped workshop, so there's a lot I can do to fix something if it's worth my while.

• Cvans, chieffan, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 8964 Thanks
  • 8285 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 05:34 AM

Sure looks like coolant to me too . I didn't understand how you were cleaning the injectors ? Some how feeding it through the fuel pick-up  line ?

• chieffan, Mark 149 J. and 4getgto have said thanks

#3 CrankshaftKaleb OFFLINE  

CrankshaftKaleb
  • 16 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 06:38 AM

Sure looks like coolant to me too . I didn't understand how you were cleaning the injectors ? Some how feeding it through the fuel pick-up  line ?

Sort of. I disconnected the fuel line and ran the electric fuel pump long enough to draw it into the line before reconnecting it and then starting the engine.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15250 Thanks
  • 8719 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 07:14 AM

Sure looks like coolant in the oil to me too.  I had one I bought and was told it had a cracked block at the time.  I changed the oil, got the injectors cleaned (had been parked for a few years) got it running and put about 1/3 bottle of K-Seal in the radiator.  Covered the radiator to get it good and hot, not overly hot.  Did this three times changing oil each time.  Last time was a good flush of the oil, changed the filter & oil and ran it.  Put about 30 hours on it with no indication of white on the dip stick.  Sold the tractor and as far as I know it is still running.  Before I tore it down to far I would definitely try K-Seal in it.   Could be a cheep fix for you.

• Alc, boyscout862 and 4getgto have said thanks

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9223 Thanks
  • 7159 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 10:28 AM

I've never heard of a cracked head on one of those engines but I suppose it's possible especially if it happened to freeze. Head gasket would be much more likely and they are pretty easily replaced. 

It would be a good idea to find the source of the leak and repair it. The radiator in that tractor needs to be operating at full efficiency to cool properly. 

• chieffan and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2542 Thanks
  • 1613 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 02:02 PM

Was running some injector cleaner through the engine on my Kubota G5200H when it started running rough and spitting a heap of oil out of the breather on the tappet cover.

Does it happen to smell like injector cleaner?  Coolant would normally give you more of a chocolate milk colour.  This looks more gray.  

• Cvans, chieffan and 4getgto have said thanks

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 9223 Thanks
  • 7159 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 10:11 PM

I wonder if someone put some of that Moly oil additive in it. It does look a lot like this stuff https://www.youtube....h?v=qMJ1Fl1B77E

Have you changed the oil since you brought it home?

Edited by Cvans, June 23, 2020 - 10:12 PM.

• chieffan and 4getgto have said thanks

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 9223 Thanks
  • 7159 posts

Posted June 24, 2020 - 10:00 AM

Put some of that oil in a clear jar. If it's water it should separate out after a while. Probably won't take too long.  

• LilysDad, Leonard VanCamp, chieffan and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 9223 Thanks
  • 7159 posts

Posted June 25, 2020 - 09:01 PM

What did you find out?   :tapping_fingers:

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 17430 Thanks
  • 11521 posts

Posted June 26, 2020 - 09:21 AM

:tapping_fingers:  :tapping_fingers:  

#11 CrankshaftKaleb OFFLINE  

CrankshaftKaleb
  • 16 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 05:46 AM

Have been busy working on the tractor for the last few days. Pulled the cylinder head off and found a crack through the exhaust valve seat on the No.2 cylinder, and a blown head gasket. I have made some repairs which I will detail in another thread.

• Cvans and 4getgto have said thanks

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 9223 Thanks
  • 7159 posts

Posted July 01, 2020 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated. Sorry to hear about the crack. Just the valve seat or the head too? 

• 4getgto said thank you