2 replies to this topic

#1 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 803 Thanks
  • 580 posts

Posted June 20, 2020 - 06:24 PM

Thought I'd share a few pictures of my latest completed project. Been wanting a front end loader for some time but couldn't justify buying a new one so came up with a Johnny Bucket type controlled with a 2500 lb Harbor Freight winch. It works much better than I expected and will easily lift 150-200 pounds as high as about 27". I use a rope and trip lever to dump. The first picture shows the bucket raised to the max.

DSCF0001.JPG

The next picture shows the winch. The winch originally came with a wireless remote but I didn't like delay in response I was getting so I.re-wired the winch to work on both the wireless remote and a hardwired switch.

DSCF0002.JPG

The next picture shows the bucket trip lever mechanism.

DSCF0003.JPG

Another view of tractor and bucket.

DSCF0006.JPG

I added a limit switch to keep me from raising the bucket too high and damaging the winch. Sorry about the focus on this picture.

DSCF0007.JPG

The last picture shows the bucket released.

DSCF0008.JPG

You will notice the two lift arms on each side of the bucket. These are used to control the tilt of the bucket as it is lifted and keeps it from tilting too far back. Seemed like a good idea at the time but sometimes I wish it would tilt back a little more when lifted.

The tractor has a functioning hydraulic lift system but I don't know enough about hydraulics to try anything with it. Let me know if you have questions or comments.

I also built a sod cutter for a sears SS/16 three point hitch if anyone is interested. It works real well with my 200 lb son standing on the back of it. I'll show pictures in another thread it interested.

• KennyP, boyscout862, Vrdaddy and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 49725 Thanks
  • 52048 posts

Posted June 21, 2020 - 04:15 AM

That's pretty cool! I could use something like that at times. I'd like to see the sod cutter!

• dthomp17 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Cruzer75 OFFLINE  

Cruzer75
  • Member No: 95600
  • 22 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 27, 2020 - 09:35 AM

Very neat solution to the age old issue of not owning a loader!
I am going to whip up a 3pt trip bucket for my PK soon as I can