Hi Jason, yup Ontario.
  • limebuzz said thank you

#17 Stevesask OFFLINE  

Stevesask
  • Member No: 101616
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 11, 2020 - 11:41 PM

Did you end up finding the drive belts and the pto belts in Canada? I’m looking at replacing the engine in my grandpas old 1655 and I’d like to do the belts, power steering and hydrostatic filters. This is the engine I’m looking to put into the unit. https://repowerspeci...t=3575000432663

#18 pacer OFFLINE  

pacer
  • Member No: 39185
  • 113 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 12, 2020 - 09:34 AM

Playing 'devils advocate' here, but I'm wondering about your sinking that much money into this--- 

Parts for these are getting to be VERY scarce!! IE: what is the tractor used for - mowing (has it got a deck?) or is it used for other tasks, like gardening, general hauling, etc?

For instance, some of the decks hardware is almost Impossible to find - the cogged belt drives pulleys (which fail pretty easily) are almost impossible to find. (I have a 54" deck down now because of this) The drive shaft is not to be found and is sure to be worn. the PTO drive components are very scarce, asare any of the deck hardware. And probably several more that I cant recall right off.

Do You have any thing like Harbor Freight, Here in the states they have a 22hp for under a $1000 that is being used as a replacement....

I know I would not put that much money in either my 1650 or 1655 because of what I described, and I REALLY LOVE me MF's (especially the 1655!!)

You mentioned power steering? does yours have that feature?

#19 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 116 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted November 12, 2020 - 02:12 PM

So I got the belts on and adjusted as per the manual that was posted. Thanks everyone! I can’t believe how fast this thing goes compared to my John Deere 112. Takes a bit of getting used to going from a geared transmission to a hydrostatic transmission lol.

That takes care of the belt adjustment, so now on to the other items with this 1655. I’m sure I’ll be posting back here later for help lol. Love the tractor. I’ll post pics later of the 1655, 1650, and the attachments that came with the deal in a new thread. I’m just first starting with the 1655 to get the small issues addressed first then moving on to the implements.

Off the top of my head I know the rear pto is missing the long shaft and pulley. The rest of the rear pto appears to all be there minus the belts. Going an oil oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs as soon as I can, just got to find a place that carries or can order these items in for me.

Thanks everyone

Hi Mike, you can find the spark plugs and oil filter at Canadian Tire. NAPA probably has the air filter and belts.  We just bought our second 1655 a week ago. The PO owned it for 20 years and because of the difficulty of finding parts here in Newfoundland, offered to sell it to us. Worked out great as his tractor has almost all of the parts our first 1655 needed. The Onan is far stronger in it too and, it came with a spare 20hp Onan in good running order. Would really loved to have owned either tractor when they were new.

#20 Stevesask OFFLINE  

Stevesask
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 13, 2020 - 08:53 AM

I hear ya on the price. It will honestly just be used for 3pt hitch attachments. It was my grandpas and I don’t have any $$ into it. This was the only one I have found that is a direct replacement with no pissing around and notching the frame for a starter to fit. I may be able to order from Harbour freight! Do you have a link to the engine? Does it come with everything needed? Or is there customization needed? I just sold my case 970 and trading my 2018 jd 1025 in for a kubota 3901. Figured I would restore grandpas tractor and use for small things to save hours on the new kubota. Let me know and thanks for the reply!

#21 pacer OFFLINE  

pacer
  • Member No: 39185
  • 113 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 13, 2020 - 10:15 AM

Steve,

I understand about the unknowns involved with doing an engine swap - have done a couple myself. And, I'm really not as familiar with the Masseys as I am Wheel Horses, having only got into a Massey 2 yrs ago (first a 1650 and then the 1655) The WH"s are much more open in the engine mount area, where the Massey has the sheet metal wrapped around.

But having rescued mine from sitting outside for several years, I became quite familiar with the workings - or weak points that wear sooner than others and therefore found the problem with parts availability, or lack there of! If you arent too concerned about the deck the the next problem area you will need to ck closely is the the drive shaft/s They are splined using a coupler to connect, and tend to wear badly, and the 11 spline shaft apparently doesnt exist! -- and, I just cked for the coupler from Surplus center and they have apparently sold all of them as it is no longer listed! (I bought 5 of them myself) Some of the guys had conventional keyed shafts/couplings made up.....

Just trying to give you an idea on just replacing the engine may be just the start of other problems, and it would likely make more sense to find another tractor - especially with the amount of money youre getting into.

Heh! you could probably make a pocketful of money parting it out....

https://www.harborfr...-epa-61614.html

#22 Stevesask OFFLINE  

Stevesask
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 13, 2020 - 12:27 PM

Ya poo i totally understand. I’m glad I found this feed and I appreciate the advice. Could end up being a money pit. I basically don’t need it just wanted to restore grandpas old tractor! I will hold off on the swap. Thank you very much

#23 Cc182222 OFFLINE  

Cc182222
  • Member No: 88955
  • 21 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 17, 2020 - 09:36 AM

F8348F48-99A3-443E-A7FC-FAD802CB45DD.jpeg

I am fortunate enough to own 2 Snapper 1855s and have repowered both. (same as Massey 1855 except for stickers and Eaton hydro)

Both had seen hard duty in the past, but still functioned well. I added power steering to both and built a FEL for one. 

I used a Honda for one and a HF Honda clone for the 2nd. 
below is a link to the repower thread on another forum. 

https://www.mytracto...-gx630.1351061/

I am comfortable with and enjoy welding and moderate fabrication so I did not think it was a difficult job. But everyone has their own comfort zones. 

My 1855s are workers. Not show or sentimental pieces so I did not care about keeping them “original”. 
the Onans were frequently needing one thing or another. My yard work time is a few hours after work so I need to be able to get on, start it up and get to work. Not fuss with the engines.
So the $$ spent is well worth it to me. 

• pacer said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1655, 1855, drive belt