22 replies to this topic

#1 MasseyMike OFFLINE  

MasseyMike
  • Member No: 99666
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 15, 2020 - 07:23 PM

Hello all,

New member, but a bit of a long-time lurker I guess you could say. For years I’ve always had a liking for the Massey garden tractors and I finally took the plunge and bought a few items that were for sale locally. I fortunately, the fella that used to own them passed away and his wife couldn’t stand to see them just sit there and waste away. So in the end, I ended up buying the whole lot which was way more stuff than I needed, but oh well I guess.

Today I was digging around at the drive belts and pulleys going to the transaxle as the 1655 barely moves forward or reverse due to the belts being very loose. Stepping on the peddle just heats the belts up and I stopped when I smelt a bit of burning rubber. Tomorrow I’m heading out to get new belts (1/2” x 22” v-belts 4L220 are what’s on there now). But my question is, how to you adjust the tension correctly? I’ve read Somewhere the spring should be compressed to a certain length but I can’t find that post after searching for hours. Pictures of the adjustment bolt and spring attached.

I have a box full of some odds and ends too, so I imagine I’ll be living on this forum for the next while lol. Also, as a new member I’d be more than happy helping others out on here, so if anyone needs a picture or something like that, I’d be glad to help out.

Thanks everyone,

Attached Thumbnails

• 471C6E8A-48CA-47BE-81C5-F7D6A5EF7646.jpeg
  • 10E0180F-5D58-4558-9830-F2CA601A5EC9.jpeg

• propane1 and kdubban have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13334 Thanks
  • 5904 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 05:55 AM

Belts look like they are bottoming out on both sets of pulleys. This would make them slip. Belts could be worn out or more than likely the wrong ones. They should be sitting more to the top of the V in the pulleys.

Noel
  • MasseyMike said thank you

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1716 Thanks
  • 1709 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 06:30 AM

4L belts will not last on there. The L belts are fractional horse power belts and are not built to stand up to high horse power applications. You will need to use A or AX belts. These belts have are built for high hp applications even though the have the same dimensions.

L belts are measured by the outside circumference and A/AX are measured by inside circumference. Subtract 2 inches from you L belts to get the A/AX length.

The manuals for your tractor is in the manuals section here. They have the adjustment procedure in them along with the measurement you're looking for.
  • MasseyMike said thank you

#4 jason silliker OFFLINE  

jason silliker
  • Member No: 89577
  • 184 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 06:42 AM

Welcome to the forums! Spring length should be about 1 1/4" when its properly compressed. You may need to remove the side panel but that's no big deal.  Here's a link to Massey manuals on here, but if you go to the upper left of  the screen you'll see the manual link there. Lots of cool old brochures etc there too.

https://gardentracto...ractor-manuals/

• DMAX, ducky and MasseyMike have said thanks

#5 MasseyMike OFFLINE  

MasseyMike
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 10:25 AM

Belts look like they are bottoming out on both sets of pulleys. This would make them slip. Belts could be worn out or more than likely the wrong ones. They should be sitting more to the top of the V in the pulleys.
Noel

Ok, I see what your seeing here. Think they are both worn out AND the wrong belts. Thanks Noel
  • propane1 said thank you

#6 MasseyMike OFFLINE  

MasseyMike
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 10:27 AM

4L belts will not last on there. The L belts are fractional horse power belts and are not built to stand up to high horse power applications. You will need to use A or AX belts. These belts have are built for high hp applications even though the have the same dimensions.
L belts are measured by the outside circumference and A/AX are measured by inside circumference. Subtract 2 inches from you L belts to get the A/AX length.
The manuals for your tractor is in the manuals section here. They have the adjustment procedure in them along with the measurement you're looking for.

Perfect, thanks for the info on the belt types and manuals. Off to cross-reference the belts to the Massey parts #’s

#7 MasseyMike OFFLINE  

MasseyMike
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to the forums! Spring length should be about 1 1/4" when its properly compressed. You may need to remove the side panel but that's no big deal.  Here's a link to Massey manuals on here, but if you go to the upper left of  the screen you'll see the manual link there. Lots of cool old brochures etc there too.

https://gardentracto...ractor-manuals/

Absolutely amazing Jason, thanks!

#8 jason silliker OFFLINE  

jason silliker
  • 184 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 10:42 AM

Another thing to note, these belts are supposed to be a matched set, (the manufacture ensures they are a identical length) because even belts with the same size (A-20 in this case) can vary in length a little, when this happens, the shorter  belt takes more load than the other causing it to stretch first. They can be hard to find in some places. 40 some year old pulleys will be worn too so don't expect a perfect fit. I think I'll try a set of the Kevlar wrapped ones next as they are becoming more common. 

Here's a link to a fellow member's belt cross reference page

https://sites.google...site/mac102004/

Edited by jason silliker, June 16, 2020 - 10:47 AM.

• limebuzz and MasseyMike have said thanks

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1716 Thanks
  • 1709 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 01:18 PM

Here is a link to the matched pair for the 1855 (same as 1655) drive belts. They've come down since the last time I bought a set.

https://www.partstre...napper-7019550/

#10 jason silliker OFFLINE  

jason silliker
  • 184 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 02:28 PM

Not too bad, another 15 shipping to me though ugh.

#11 MasseyMike OFFLINE  

MasseyMike
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 10:43 PM

Not too bad, another 15 shipping to me though ugh.

Jason, are you located in Canada as well?

#12 jason silliker OFFLINE  

jason silliker
  • 184 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted June 17, 2020 - 10:55 AM

Yup PEI

#13 MasseyMike OFFLINE  

MasseyMike
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 17, 2020 - 02:09 PM

Yup PEI

Nice, I have a good friend out there in York, PEI. The online parts world is a lot more difficult for us here up in Canada. Most often the shipping and duties doubles or far exceeds the cost of the parts itself. And that’s if their even willing to ship up here!
  • limebuzz, propane1 and kdubban have said thanks

#14 MasseyMike OFFLINE  

MasseyMike
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 17, 2020 - 02:39 PM

So I got the belts on and adjusted as per the manual that was posted. Thanks everyone! I can’t believe how fast this thing goes compared to my John Deere 112. Takes a bit of getting used to going from a geared transmission to a hydrostatic transmission lol.

That takes care of the belt adjustment, so now on to the other items with this 1655. I’m sure I’ll be posting back here later for help lol. Love the tractor. I’ll post pics later of the 1655, 1650, and the attachments that came with the deal in a new thread. I’m just first starting with the 1655 to get the small issues addressed first then moving on to the implements.

Off the top of my head I know the rear pto is missing the long shaft and pulley. The rest of the rear pto appears to all be there minus the belts. Going an oil oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs as soon as I can, just got to find a place that carries or can order these items in for me.

Thanks everyone
  • propane1 said thank you

#15 jason silliker OFFLINE  

jason silliker
  • 184 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted June 17, 2020 - 05:09 PM

You're in Ontario Mike? Yeah mine is missing the rear PTO shaft & the one I have coming from New Brunswick is on its way out too, it's a common thing for them. Yeah post some pics for sure!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1655, 1855, drive belt