Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Can someone answer a few questions about allis 300 &400 series tractors?

allis chalmers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orangeace1 OFFLINE  

Orangeace1
  • Member No: 99634
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 13, 2020 - 11:08 PM

I know nothing about the 300 and 400 series allis chalmers tractors. Which pto was electric, Front or center? Power to the mower deck. From front or center pto? Did simplicity make the gear box and power trains on these series? What about the frame? I do know the tractors were built by allis chalmers in Lexington SC.
But under the sheet metal it sure looks like a simplicity. I have only seen pictures. Help

#2 bigdee ONLINE  

bigdee
  • Member No: 92690
  • 29 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 14, 2020 - 08:39 AM

PTO is on front motor shaft ( opposite of flywheel side) Some models had electric clutch and some were manual with a mule drive. Tractor was a Simplicity design with most drive line component interchangeable. Kohler engine vs Briggs on Simplicity Landlord of same 1970-1973 era. Mower deck on Allis was right hand discharge instead of left hand on the Landlord. Sheet metal was completely different.

• Orangeace1 said thank you

#3 dbaker OFFLINE  

dbaker
  • Member No: 96228
  • 45 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 03:00 PM

300 and 400 came with 2 different gear box set ups one was a 3 speed forward with one reverse speed the other a 4 speed with a shuttle set up all 4 forward and reverse most parts will interchange between the 300 and 400 models the attachments for most other models of same size were the same however the mounting brackets changed .the 300 and 400 have a different front axle also     

#4 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 1084 Thanks
  • 680 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 07:41 PM

300 and 400 came with 2 different gear box set ups one was a 3 speed forward with one reverse speed the other a 4 speed with a shuttle set up all 4 forward and reverse most parts will interchange between the 300 and 400 models the attachments for most other models of same size were the same however the mounting brackets changed .the 300 and 400 have a different front axle also     

Don't forget the hydro version!

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3369 Thanks
  • 2369 posts

Posted June 19, 2020 - 12:33 PM

The 300/400 was not a Simplicity design, but an Allis design.  Aside from the bevel gear box and transaxle, everything else is exlusive to the AC design.  

There is no 'center' PTO, per say.  Though the clutch for the rear PTO attachments is off the bevel gear box like a Simplicity, there were no mid mounted attachments that used it.  The front PTO was electric and used for mid and front attachments. 

Electric lift is more commonly found on the 300's.  The 300 series numbered several more models than the 400 series.  The 300 series offerd 16 different model numbers.  8 per drive type, and then a variant for factor equipped power lift models.  The 400 series totalled 5 models.  The 300 series utilized the 3-speed and variable transmissions on non-hydro models, while the 400 series offered the 3-speed and shuttle transmissions on non-hydro's.  

Of the 300 series, the 312H seems to be lowest production.  Of the 400 series, the 414S is least common.  Of all 300/400's, the 414S seems to be the rarer of the bunch, as it only appeared in the last of the 400 series literature and is most scarce.

310 (3-speed), 310D ('Delux', Variable), 312, 312D, 312H (Hydro), 314, 314D, 314 Hydro

410 (3-speed), 410S (Shuttle), 414S, 416S, 416H

#6 Cubcadetsouthdakota OFFLINE  

Cubcadetsouthdakota
  • Member No: 85637
  • 489 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted June 21, 2020 - 03:58 AM

I have both 312D an a 410s I’m making a 416s by swapping the motors .... the axels are different cause I have a 400 blower that only a direct bolt to the axel if I wanted to use it on my 312d I’d have swap axels they are awesome machines..... the deck is great it seems like they will chew up anything over 6inches of grass which is impressive to me..... I think most of these guys touched basis on the tractor it self.... the one thing they did for get the 300s had a tack option on it as well to watch rpms which is kinda neat if you ask me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 bigdee ONLINE  

bigdee
  • Member No: 92690
  • 29 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 21, 2020 - 11:49 AM

The 300/400 was not a Simplicity design, but an Allis design.  Aside from the bevel gear box and transaxle, everything else is exlusive to the AC design.  

Cover-up was a better description then design. Allis-Chalmers purchased Simplicity in 1965, and Simplicity's management bought it back in 1983. When AC bought out Simplicity they violated U.S. anti-trust laws for becoming a monopoly. AC made cosmetic and engine changes and altered part numbers to make them look like AC propriety numbers. The basic design was still Simplicity. The Allis-Chalmers 314 can be referenced in the Simplicity catalog by codes 1600049, 1600050 (electric pto/lift), and 1600051 (hydrostatic).

#8 Let's grapple OFFLINE  

Let's grapple
  • Member No: 99788
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 22, 2020 - 03:34 AM

Hello,

I figured I'd start here before I go to Ebay. I have a 416H that has been setting for years. It ran perfect before I parked it in the barn and went off to serve our country. My intentions over the years was to blow off the dust and get her fired back up. As all good plans go, something else always got in the way. Now time and age have got away from me to.

I know I could part it out because many parts are hard to come by. However, the old girl would love to stay in one piece and go to work on someone else's acreage. I know these are classic tractors and getting harder to find.

So, if anyone is interested shoot me a message. I can always send some pictures as well. I just don't have them now.

I guess I need to start liquidating some stuff before my kids have to deal with the mess.

God Speed everyone,

#9 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3369 Thanks
  • 2369 posts

Posted June 25, 2020 - 08:29 AM

Cover-up was a better description then design. Allis-Chalmers purchased Simplicity in 1965, and Simplicity's management bought it back in 1983. When AC bought out Simplicity they violated U.S. anti-trust laws for becoming a monopoly. AC made cosmetic and engine changes and altered part numbers to make them look like AC propriety numbers. The basic design was still Simplicity. The Allis-Chalmers 314 can be referenced in the Simplicity catalog by codes 1600049, 1600050 (electric pto/lift), and 1600051 (hydrostatic).

Not true.  Allis violated nothing by purchasing Simplicity at that time.  What is true is that the government intervention was nearing it's peak by '68, and they were forced to adapt after the FTC issued its Horizontal Merger Guidelines.  For the first few years laws were challenged in litgation, and so Allis tractors remained rebadged Simplicity designs, via the Lexington plant.  The 300 series was the first completely new design, as forced by that ending litigation.  AC was not the only company impacted, and so a ton of political pressure built until some anit trust laws were revised/repealed.  There are countless suits from the '60's and '70's challenging anti trust enforcement, touching nearly every industry, product and service.

If you have ever looked over a 300 or 400 series, you would see that they share very, very little in common with any Simplicity.  Remove the trans, wheels and a few bushings and bearings, and every part is completely different, not in part number alone, but in size, shape...design.  

• KennyP, AllisKidD21 and bigdee have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: allis chalmers