12 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 4874 Thanks
  • 2431 posts

Posted June 02, 2020 - 12:28 PM

About a month ago I decided to try tomatoes from seed boy were they small seeds got a 5 in planter pot filled it with potting soil and placed the seeds in there watered and waited and waited finally some little plants started coming up so have been sitting them in the patio door window for sun light and giving them water. About 4 days ago I took one bunch of 6 out to the garden and transplanted found that the potting soil was not the best while trying to get the plants out and to the ground it pretty much all fell off but got them planted gave them water next morning they looked a little beat but gave them more water and 4 perked up  this morning 5 are looking like they are going to make it have another 5/6 to transplant in a day or so if half go on to produce tomatoes it will be more than enough

• KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 49392 Thanks
  • 51889 posts

Posted June 02, 2020 - 01:37 PM

We are well beyond that stage down here! No 'maters for me as  I never found any plants.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, MNGB and 2 others have said thanks

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62

Hangin' with the cool kids

• Member No: 42
  • 3669 Thanks
  • 2424 posts

Posted June 02, 2020 - 05:36 PM

Finding plants has been much tougher this year, that's for sure. Local garden center was pretty much sold out and the guy said they likely weren't getting any more. Got 2 Beefsteak, a few Romas and a couple of Cherry tomatomplants......They were also more expensive than normal,,,,big surprise. 

Same with other bedding plants...got a few cucumbers, zuchini and Swiss Chard......Planted potatoes., bean seeds, spinach.... That's about all I will be growing this year. 

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 14731 Thanks
  • 9838 posts

Posted June 02, 2020 - 06:11 PM

I've got a couple of dozen tomatoes in the living room to plant out. Last night was the last frost threat. Today, my back says NO! Maybe tomorrow. My Troy Bilt horse hadn't been used in over 5 years so, I had to work on it more than I worked it. Good Luck, Rick

• propane1, MNGB, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#5 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 722 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted June 02, 2020 - 09:47 PM

I usually put 3 seeds to a peat pot, when they start growing I pick the best/healthiest plant and pinch off the other one or 2.  I plant the whole pot so I don't have to mess with removing from pot and planting, whole lot easier.  When I plant them, I pinch off atleast half the lower leaves and plant up to the remaining leaves.  I find atleast in my soil, the plant grows more roots faster but it takes a week for the plants to show it.  The stem you bury will develop into a root pretty fast.  IMHO  I've done it this way for as long as I can remember.  This year.... has not started well, the virus messed us up many ways.

Price on what little I could find.... taters about killed me.  I have never, until this year, paid $20 for 3lb of seeds taters, never even heard of this strain.

Edited by FrozenInTime, June 02, 2020 - 09:50 PM.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15306 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted June 03, 2020 - 11:40 AM

Got the second planting of tomatoes and egg plants in the ground yesterday.  Had to hunt a bit but found the plants with no trouble.  Frost got the first ones.  Got the garden sprayed this morning.  Weeds took over with a few weeks of rain and then out of commission with the surgery.  Still a long ways to go.  Will have to spray it again in a couple weeks as there is a lot of giant Foxtail that the 2-4-D will not get.  Roundup will take care of it thought.  Might throw a good shot of  liquid anhydrous in the mix to get it a quick burn.  Will replant the watermelon and Acorn squash after dinner.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 14731 Thanks
  • 9838 posts

Posted June 03, 2020 - 07:04 PM

Got the second planting of tomatoes and egg plants in the ground yesterday.  Had to hunt a bit but found the plants with no trouble.  Frost got the first ones.  Got the garden sprayed this morning.  Weeds took over with a few weeks of rain and then out of commission with the surgery.  Still a long ways to go.  Will have to spray it again in a couple weeks as there is a lot of giant Foxtail that the 2-4-D will not get.  Roundup will take care of it thought.  Might throw a good shot of  liquid anhydrous in the mix to get it a quick burn.  Will replant the watermelon and Acorn squash after dinner.

Don't push yourself too hard. I went out to work in the garden this afternoon. Reached down to grab a few rocks to throw out of the garden. I grab the rocks and hear a buzzing sound. 18" away is a snake on the otherside of the chainlink fence. I'm not sure if it was a timber rattler or a milksnake shaking its tail against an empty plastic pot. I quit and went inside for a break. Good Luck, Rick

• oldedeeres and MNGB have said thanks

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4874 Thanks
  • 2431 posts

Posted June 04, 2020 - 07:26 PM

Today I picked up some flower plants and 4 cabbage plants at a nursery got the flowers- Wave Petunias transplanted and the 4 cabbages in plus the last 5 tomatoes I had started a month or so ago, the first ones I did about a week ago are coming around 5 out of the 6 will make it and with today's 5 there are 10 plants will see how they all do potatoes are looking good and finally the creepy crawlers are coming out of the ground, can only see one sunflower coming so put a few more seeds in the ground

• Alc, KennyP, FrozenInTime and 2 others have said thanks

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4874 Thanks
  • 2431 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 01:24 PM

Well it got so dry here this month I've water 3 times between 1/2 rains but wasn't paying attention the first part of the month potates are looking good hoping there making spuds down under, the tomatoes I started from seed are looking good got about 8 plants that are good and that will be more than enough cabbages looking good but the radishes were a total bust came out of the ground were looking ok but they never developed waited and kept checking never got much over the size of a lead pencil thinking it was to dry corn beans carrots other stuff nothing oh do have 2 stalks of corn but the squash cucumbers  and pumpkins are looking good. Couple of days ago did some weed control got the tiller on the PK and tilled up all the areas where only the weed were coming,  then used the furrower,  furrowed up a nice row and planted some beets a few green beans a few radishes tosee how that works

HPIM1711.JPG HPIM1712.JPG HPIM1713.JPG HPIM1714.JPG

• KennyP, FrozenInTime, Doug E. and 1 other said thanks

#10 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1169 Thanks
  • 447 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 02:37 PM

MNGB,

I like your tool bar set up.  I see a tag on the side.  Is that a PK attachment, or has it been repurposed into what it is now?  I need to come up with something similar.

Thanks,

Doug

• MNGB said thank you

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4874 Thanks
  • 2431 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 11:16 PM

MNGB,

I like your tool bar set up.  I see a tag on the side.  Is that a PK attachment, or has it been repurposed into what it is now?  I need to come up with something similar.

Thanks,

Doug

I built it and made the tag it says GB built :D

• KennyP and Doug E. have said thanks

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4874 Thanks
  • 2431 posts

Posted July 04, 2020 - 01:20 PM

Well its hot and humid here in MN and this morning I connected the hoses and am watering the garden whats left looks good so want to keep it going also cut up 7/8 small potatoes my better half was going to throw out they were sproting so I put them in the ground will see if I can get some late spuds

• KennyP and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#13 426tractorguy ONLINE  

426tractorguy
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 99054
  • 188 Thanks
  • 176 posts

Posted July 05, 2020 - 09:28 AM

our tomatoes are doing good this year. we have about 20-30 plants up on stakes. last year we planted about 60 plant s and were giving tomatoes away by the five gallon bucket full

• MNGB said thank you