• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gilson435 OFFLINE  

Gilson435
  • Member No: 98510
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 23, 2020 - 10:17 AM

Hi all! New to the forums here! I purchased a Bolens H18XL in really nice condition. The only thing wrong was the float bowl nut(main jet) was broken. I have not been able to find an original replacement yet so I used an adjustable needle type that seems to work but would really like to find the right one. Any ways I got it running and engine seems to run good and it drives good. Now I went to hook up the mower deck and when I tried to engage the pto it dies. I think I fried the ignition module. Now I have no spark at all. Safety switches are all bypassed. I unhooked the three prong wire connector coming from the engine and still no spark. I heard mentioned you can adapt a different ignition from a dodge or Chevy to make it work but I haven't been able to find details on how to do that. Does anyone have an original bowl nut, ignition module they would be willing to sell or have info or a link on how to modify the ignition to a different one? Thank you!!

#2 kg5000 ONLINE  

kg5000
  • Member No: 89193
  • 176 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 23, 2020 - 02:30 PM

Hello,

There is an updated kit for your ignition coil.  I have not ever used, but I have heard good things about these kits.  The company is Overnight Solutions in Wisconsin.  Here is the link to the kit http://overnight-sol...nformation.html

I believe that you have to R&I the engine which is rather labor intensive.  I have a 16 HP Tecumseh and it is not light.  Good luck!

I would look again at the safety switch wiring, that may be causing your no spark issue.

• logmillingman and Gilson435 have said thanks

#3 Gilson435 OFFLINE  

Gilson435
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 24, 2020 - 10:08 AM

Hello,

There is an updated kit for your ignition coil.  I have not ever used, but I have heard good things about these kits.  The company is Overnight Solutions in Wisconsin.  Here is the link to the kit http://overnight-sol...nformation.html

I believe that you have to R&I the engine which is rather labor intensive.  I have a 16 HP Tecumseh and it is not light.  Good luck!

I would look again at the safety switch wiring, that may be causing your no spark issue.

Awesome! Thanks for the link!! Yes I figure the engine would need to come out...Ugh...

• logmillingman said thank you

#4 Gilson435 OFFLINE  

Gilson435
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 24, 2020 - 12:45 PM

I found the bowl nut(main jet) on Ebay today! Ordered.  :rocker2:Bowl nut.jpg

Edited by Gilson435, May 24, 2020 - 01:07 PM.

• logmillingman and kjmweld have said thanks