• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 679 Thanks
  • 421 posts

Posted May 22, 2020 - 05:49 AM

I have an old troy bill 8 hp B&S tow-behind chipper - been in storage for too long and the mice got to it, chewing up the spark plug wire and filling the fly wheel area with a nest.

In cleaning up the nest and to get to the spark plug wire, I pulled off the head (figured a little extra work and cleaning would be worth it)  

I've been trying to find the specs for the air gap, the head bolt tightening pattern and torque but haven't had much luck 

any help?

model  195437

type 0884-01

code 91081210

thanks in advance

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 48934 Thanks
  • 51651 posts

Posted May 22, 2020 - 08:18 AM

You should be able to find it all in this Service Manual:

https://gardentracto...singles-270962/

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • 679 Thanks
  • 421 posts

Posted May 22, 2020 - 08:54 AM

Thanks - that's what I've been looking for - tried to check the manuals here but I wasn't sure if the engine number matched up

thanks again - on to doing the work

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 14661 Thanks
  • 9801 posts

Posted May 22, 2020 - 10:44 AM

I bought one of those B&S Repairman's Manuals in 1977. I still am using it. Excellent information.

I have saved a few magnetos that were mouse stripped by using liquid insulation on the stripped wire. It took several layers but has worked. Be sure to check that your cylinder head is flat. In the future put a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and you won't have to worry about carbon build up nor valves burning.

I've got a Troy Built 8hp Vac/chipper/shredder with a broken crankshaft and an extra 8hp with a loose valve seat. I plan to put the two engines together to have one good engine. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP said thank you

#5 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • 679 Thanks
  • 421 posts

Posted May 24, 2020 - 08:38 AM

did a little "sanding" on the head with some 320 wet/dry sandpaper - then used some 1500 wet/dry to finish it - lot of water and used the top of my table saw as a flat surface - took the Dremel tool with a brush wheel to clean off the carbon -looks much better -flat and shiny-  did a little sanding on the top of the block but not as much as maybe I should - still looks pretty good. 

next is finding the time to reassemble 

the mice ate thru the wire but I've got an "extra" from an 8 hp toro snowblower that I ran the oil out of