• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 168 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 21, 2020 - 10:24 AM

I'm replacing some hydraulic lines on a loader and the lengths I need are not standard from what seems to be typical "off the shelf" lengths, so I'm weighing my options for custom hoses.

Most of the hoses I need I ordered from Surplus Center.  I bought all 100R17 hoses...here's an example: https://www.surplusc...SI-903-3812.axd

Surplus Center does not do custom lengths or hose-end fittings.  My local CarQuest makes custom hoses from Gates tubing, but they are pretty expensive (about $50 for a 66" hose with standard 3/8" NPTM rigid fittings).  I found this online source that brings that cost down by about 50%:

https://www.discount...R17-06-ASB.html

Only thing is I know nothing about Hydraulax hoses.  I sent Hydraulax an email this morning asking where they manufacture their products. 

I'm trying to ensure Made in USA parts, but trying to conserve cash as well.  If anyone has a better source for custom hoses, please share!

Thanks!    

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 4834 Thanks
  • 2808 posts

Posted May 21, 2020 - 11:52 AM

You could make custom length hoses yourself, using hose bought in bulk and re-useable ends.  ...You should use 1-wire braid hose.

I try to avoid custom length hoses as much as possible, unless you plan on having a spare hose on hand.  ...Hoses always blow at the most inopportune time!

If you need 66", I would go with a 72" common hose.  ...These are usually in stock at TSC, Surplus Center, and other tractor/hydraulic suppliers.

Although Gates is a major USA company, their products can be made anywhere.  ....Same for Parker.  ...Quality is more important than country of origin.  ...If you notice, the hose you linked to at Surplus Center specifies "assembled in USA" and fittings made in USA.  ...Obviously the hose is foreign-made.

Local hydraulic shops are sometimes, but not usually, competitive on hose prices.

• zuren said thank you

#3 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 168 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 21, 2020 - 01:46 PM

You could make custom length hoses yourself, using hose bought in bulk and re-useable ends.  ...You should use 1-wire braid hose.

I try to avoid custom length hoses as much as possible, unless you plan on having a spare hose on hand.  ...Hoses always blow at the most inopportune time!

If you need 66", I would go with a 72" common hose.  ...These are usually in stock at TSC, Surplus Center, and other tractor/hydraulic suppliers.

Although Gates is a major USA company, their products can be made anywhere.  ....Same for Parker.  ...Quality is more important than country of origin.  ...If you notice, the hose you linked to at Surplus Center specifies "assembled in USA" and fittings made in USA.  ...Obviously the hose is foreign-made.

Local hydraulic shops are sometimes, but not usually, competitive on hose prices.

Thanks for the input.

The Surplus Center hoses are Made in USA.  You have to zoom into the image to see the labeling.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#4 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 682 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted May 22, 2020 - 05:38 AM

just a quick thought - CarQuest and other auto supply shops sell all sorts of parts, your local hydraulic shop sells hydraulic parts/hoses - they should be a little more "cost-effective" then the auto parts shop since that's all they do, plus the money spent there probably stays in town rather than going to the big "guys" 

Most of the time when I have something "funky" like hoses, I go to the local shop and explain what I'm working on and let them know I'm trying to "cost-effective" (aka cheap) and that I'd rather support them than go online and spend time doing a search, paying for shipping etc

might cost me a little more than doing it online, but I establish a working relationship with the shop and give them business when I can. They usually appreciate me spending my money there and also sometimes get into doing something a little different, like rebuilding a piston for my 1973 Bobcat 371- plus I can go back if there's a problem

not quite a quick thought, but figured people might want to know

thanks for "listening"