• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 168 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 21, 2020 - 09:42 AM

I'm swapping a loader from a Power King tractor that I bought, to the Power King I already own, and spending some time replacing hoses and assessing fittings as I go.  The donor tractor sat outside so many things have a rusty patina.  I started cleaning up some of the fittings with the wire wheel on my bench grinder.  With all the humidity we had recently (~48 hrs. of rain here in Michigan), I noticed some minor surface rust starting on the fittings I had cleaned.

I'm sure these were zinc plated, so between the rust and my wire wheel, that plating is gone.  Any recommendations on how to keep these fittings looking good?  I'm considering a periodic wipe with a light oil (e.g., mineral oil or WD-40), or something like a silicone spray that will protect then be dry.

The ultimate solution is to replace the fittings with new, but trying to avoid that.

Thanks!

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 4834 Thanks
  • 2808 posts

Posted May 21, 2020 - 11:57 AM

Fittings were probably cadmium plated originally.

Paint works, in the color of choice.  ....Anti-seize on the threaded portions.

• propane1 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 18532 Thanks
  • 6207 posts

Posted May 21, 2020 - 01:01 PM

If the fittings are clean and dry you could spray them with clear coat (the same as what they sell for base clear automotive paint) to protect them from rusting.  You would have to have them installed first (so the wrenches don't damage the clear coat) and then mask around the area (hose, tractor area, etc.).  Might be a little tedious but should give you a good rust free finish for many years.  Just a suggestion. 

• propane1 said thank you

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 12599 Thanks
  • 5639 posts

Posted May 21, 2020 - 06:30 PM

Hehe. That’s what I kind of wrote out stew. I thought the wench marks would be a trouble. So I deleted my post. The clear works good. I use to make copper decorations. And would spray them with clear.

Noel.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#5 billoswin OFFLINE  

billoswin
  • Member No: 99344
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 29, 2020 - 09:57 PM

Right after you clean them up throw some paste wax on them. it takes a couple seconds and it will keep them rust free for a long long time.