• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • Member No: 84646
  • 12 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 15, 2020 - 08:26 AM

A friend of mine uses this setup a lot and loves it. 

He reverses the blade and pushes in reverse rather than driving over and dragging the blade behind. 

He prefers to have his FEL on the front and a scraper on the back for this. 

Anyone else do this?

I'm looking at buying a tractor soon and thinking of making a rear scraper an implement I get with the tractor. JD has included a Frontier RB2060L in the price/deal with the 1025R I'm looking at with them....reviews on it seem a bit mixed. 

Anyone see a downside to this setup? To that blade (the Frontier)?

• 4getgto said thank you

#2 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1489 Thanks
  • 1053 posts

Posted May 15, 2020 - 02:08 PM

I leave the blade in the normal position. Just drop it down and push snow in reverse. It doesn't push any gravel onto the yard and does a good job of removing the snow. I use the bucket to scrape snow away from doors and steps so we don't shovel much. While this isn't the brand you are looking at this setup does work well.

Attached Thumbnails

• Blade.jpg

• tddeangelo and 4getgto have said thanks

#3 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt

Got Sum

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 4690 Thanks
  • 1150 posts

Posted May 15, 2020 - 04:10 PM

Depending on how much area you have to remove snow from ,which is directly proportional to time it takes , which is directly proportional to how long your neck is twisted looking over your shoulder out of its normal happy position ,(straight ahead) which as time rolls on gets tougher to do and the discomfort is ten fold. 

IMO. 

• tddeangelo and 4getgto have said thanks

#4 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 890 Thanks
  • 598 posts

Posted May 15, 2020 - 05:12 PM

I run one behind my blower tractors, they pickup the thin layer left over from having the shoes set high on the blowers for running over gravel.When I get a blade full I back over it and blow it too. I use the natural weight of the blade, no down pressure, I find it allows the blade to ride over the gravel without picking much up.

• KennyP, tddeangelo and 4getgto have said thanks

#5 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • Member No: 84646
  • 12 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 16, 2020 - 11:23 AM

I've also seen on YouTube lots of folks pulling the blade forward too...I'd have thought the weight of the tractor would pack tracks to the pavement that wouldn't come up, but the blade seems to scrape it all up pretty clean in all the vids I watched. 

I have about 250' to clear, plus a large-ish parking area at the house. 

I dropped the Frontier out of the deal on the tractor. I'll find a used one somewhere....I'm an IT guy by profession, and determining if a powered implement is worth buying used isn't something I'm generally comfortable with, but a scraper blade seems fairly simple to assess. 

Not broken, not bent, not rusted in position....should work....I'd think?

Rust even is ok, that can be wire-brushed off and the metal painted. Just so it's not frozen in position. 

I'm gonna give this setup a try this winter and then assess if I need or want anything different. 

I saw those clamp on Edge Guards for the FEL bucket, and that seems worth the price of admission to protect the paved driveway.