#1 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • Member No: 84646
  • 12 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 14, 2020 - 08:49 AM

Yep, another one. 

Here's what I'm looking to do:

I have 1.25 hilly acres to mow. Some trees to go around, but it's not super tricky. 

I have a 250' driveway, also with a slope (house/shed at the top), that requires snow removal. 

I have approx 1.25 acres of woods with mature trees and brush on it. Occasional dropped trees, branches, etc need cleaned up. Leaves from the woods blanket the yard in the fall. 

We have lots of areas that should be mulched but we don't do it as often as we should, since moving the mulch from the driveway (where a delivery would get dumped) to relevant beds is difficult and time consuming currently. 

When trees come down, I tend to section/split for fire pit firewood, which needs retrieval/relocation to a wood pile. 

Current "tractor" is a Husqvarna YTH22V42 mower. I have a little dump trailer for it, but with slopes to cross to get the trailer where it would need to be, moving mulch this way is somewhat of a pain and I wind up using "1 human power" landscaping cart. This is not fun. 

Current snow removal is done by a walk-behind MTD snow blower. This works, but is sloooooow. For a "typical" 6" snowfall, I'll spend 2-3 hours clearing the driveway and parking area by the garage. 

My lawn takes 2 hours to mow with the Husqvarna, but I accomplish this in a "not recommended" manner. Doing things completely safely makes it take 5+ hours. 

So I'm looking to a SCUT to help here. 

I'm sort of narrowed in on a John Deere 1025r or a Kubota BX2380. 

I have access to work with and mow with a 1025, and I have. I've moved some dirt and cut some grass. Tried it on slopes, removed the FEL, reinstalled it, etc. I like it, although it feels bigger than it is, if that makes sense. 

I got to drive a BX2380 in the lot only at a local dealer just to get an initial feel for it. I liked the layout of the controls and the tractor itself seems to offer a bit better visibility than the 1025 (for mowing...i.e. watching for sticks, obstacles, etc). 

I've watched countless hours of YouTube, read and read and read, and every time I think I made up my mind, I think about something else that changes my mind. 

Currently I prefer the Deere, but it seems the two closest JD dealers are not super interested in providing pricing, as I've asked a few times and have not received anything yet. I have pricing on the BX2380 from two different Kubota dealers, who were both quite responsive. I have one Kubota dealer pretty close to me (15 minute drive). I have one JD dealer at about 20-25 minutes away, and another at 30-35 min away. 

The next closest option would be LS at 45+ and it goes up from there. 

I'm a little worried about two things on the BX---- the transmission fan vulnerability, and the relative lack of power in the loader compared to the 1025. 

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on those issues....?

I feel like either will do what I want, but it seems the JD will be a slight bit better?

If the dealers can't be bothered to try to sell one, though, do I really want one?

Any thoughts on what I should maybe go back to the Kubota dealer and ask to try with the BX? That's reasonable? (i.e. what's a reasonable "ask" to try with a new/unpurchased unit before committing to purchase)

Thank you!

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13089 Thanks
  • 5846 posts

Posted May 14, 2020 - 11:00 AM

Just some thoughts. I don’t own one, so only thoughts. What would you be lifting to need the extra power from the Deere loader. Could you install a skid plate to protect the transmission fan on the Kubota ? Maybe one tractor size up on the Kubota to match Deere. Myself I like the idea that the Kubota dealer is close. Do they sell parts and service the tractor ? Kubota seem more interested to make a sale. Ask if you can test drive the tractor on your own lot to get a feel for it. Again, just my thoughts and I have never owned or operated either tractor.

Noel

Edited by propane1, May 14, 2020 - 11:03 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 DMAX OFFLINE  

DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 591 Thanks
  • 232 posts

Posted May 14, 2020 - 12:22 PM

To bad there isn’t a Massey Ferguson dealership by you, if there is I would suggest checking out the GC’s. I know a couple guys who have them and are very pleased with them. There’s also a lot of good reviews about them on YouTube.

#4 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 12 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 14, 2020 - 04:30 PM

Further Deere dealer got me the requested info and spent quite a bit of time answering my questions today. 

As importantly, they sharpened their pencil a bit. 

Long story short, I can do a 1025R with rear scraper blade, 120R loader (quick detach model with pinned QR bucket) and a 54" MMM with autoconnect, includes damage insurance and delivery with a tech to go over it all with me and make sure it's all working and adjusted properly....at 0% for 60, and get to about the same payment as the Kubota with KTAC insurance and NO rear scraper on a 0-for-84 structure. 

I've used a 1025 at the property I hunt. I know it'll do what I want done. 

I have to talk to the household CFO (read = wife) and then it appears to decided. 

The owner of that other 1025r bought from the same salesman I am working with. This is important...this dealer is 30-40 min away, but will do annual maintenance for a good price, including pick up and delivery, if they can get at least two units in close proximity. So that other 1025 owner and I can now do that at will. :)

Edited by tddeangelo, May 14, 2020 - 04:31 PM.

• KennyP, propane1 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13089 Thanks
  • 5846 posts

Posted May 14, 2020 - 06:11 PM

I’d say you goin green. Hehe. You’ve talked me into it. Any way, make sure the other Deere dealer has a chance to offer.

Noel.

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 659 Thanks
  • 501 posts

Posted May 14, 2020 - 07:53 PM

either one will serve you fine. I own 2 Kubotas Bx2660 and Bx2680 and a John Deere 2032R. Loader on and off is about equal. I need to say that I do not mow with any of these although I use an X590 to mow some. The thing I dispise with JD is the yellow RIO button that you either disable or cuss everytime you back up with the mower engaged. Kubota does not have this PIA. Other than that dealer support is important. I have a relationship with both dealers so I can do either. I have found the BX controls handier than the Deere. Drive over decks and auto connect is more to go wrong as I see it. If you do go green get the attachment to move the deck with the loader. It will save your back. Both offer quality products so pick what you like and enjoy it. orange and green compare to each other the rest are wannbes. Check the sales data for yourself. Oh yea they both have an inline fuel filter under the operators platform that will piss you off.

• tddeangelo said thank you

#7 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 12 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 14, 2020 - 08:04 PM

That cutoff switch has had me cussing when I've tried out the 1025 I can play with. And I like that the Kubota doesn't have it at all. 

But I also was getting into the habit of pressing it by the end of one grass cutting session, so I think it's a matter of getting used to it. 

I wanted the load-n-go brackets, however my shed door is 59" wide. 

I've considered (1) leaving the whole works outside, (2) leaving the deck outside, (3) reframing the shed door. 

It all just seems more work than it's worth....? 

One potential option is to go 60" deck, connect/disconnect for each mow and leave the mower deck out for 1 year. 

Next spring, we'll be ready to add a second shed and I could get it with a wide enough doorway to take the bigger deck. 

I'm not sure I love any of those options. 

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 18212 Thanks
  • 11729 posts

Posted May 15, 2020 - 05:53 AM

If you prefer the Orange, take the numbers from the Green back to the dealer and see if he can do better.

#9 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 12 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 15, 2020 - 08:17 AM

I'm not sure I entirely DO prefer Orange...I can talk myself into either one, really. 

I may wander back to Kubota today and ask for their "best/final", including a skid plate for that flippin' fan. 

I just need to get more seat time/familiarity with it. I would dearly love not to have the PTO reverse cutoff. 

Seems most owners of either one are happy. 

#10 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 12 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 15, 2020 - 06:52 PM

It seems settled on Green. 

Got the selling price to 1k less on Green than Orange. 

That's the whole kit and kaboodle, out the door, same 0% for 60 months, 1025R vs BX2380. 

Autoconnect on the JD's deck. Same 54" deck width on both. 

I also found a solution to the RIO that is super simple and 100% completely reversible. 

Waiting on docs to complete....assuming we hit no snags on financing and such, should have it cutting grass in the coming week!

• Alc and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 9050 Thanks
  • 8304 posts

Posted May 16, 2020 - 05:16 AM

Congratulations !   Please give up some reviews as you start using your new tractor . And pictures 

• tddeangelo said thank you

#12 bosbar OFFLINE  

bosbar
  • Member No: 55683
  • 22 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted November 04, 2020 - 01:35 PM

They must have changed when they replaced the 2305 with the 1025 cause, my 2305's PTO doesn't shut off when I back up.

As a matter of fact, that was one of the points the rep. pointed out when it was delivered.

I asked if I had to pull up on the PTO knob to back up, he said, this is a tractor, not a lawn mower, nothing shuts off.

So the new 1025's shut down when backing up?