Nice score!

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#17 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13795 Thanks
  • 6048 posts

Posted December 22, 2020 - 07:59 AM

Say nice tractor. And a very popular tractor with tractor collectors. They seem to bring a high price. But I think it a 135 MF, not a 35. Any way. Still a great tractor. How many cylinders ?

Noel

Edited by propane1, December 22, 2020 - 08:03 AM.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 3116 Thanks
  • 3097 posts

Posted December 22, 2020 - 10:09 AM

Say nice tractor. And a very popular tractor with tractor collectors. They seem to bring a high price. But I think it a 135 MF, not a 35. Any way. Still a great tractor. How many cylinders ?

Noel

Hi Noel,

You are correct, it is a Massey 135 and I've edited the post to correct that.

The engine is the Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder.  According to Tractor Data, the engine number is Perkins AG3.152.  I've been told it is the better engine option of the Gas varieties.  For now, I would prefer to stick with gas as I know, understand, and can work on most of the related engine systems.  

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#19 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13795 Thanks
  • 6048 posts

Posted December 22, 2020 - 12:03 PM

Well Howard, I never heard of a Perkins gas engine in one or never even knew that Perkins made a gas version. In my post I put that it would be a Continental engine. But questioned myself as to why you said Perkins when it was a gas engine. So I looked at tractor data too. And I said ahha. I’ve learned something. So I changed my post and that’s why I asked how many cylinders. Learn something every day. Hehe.

Noel
  • KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#20 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 3116 Thanks
  • 3097 posts

Posted December 22, 2020 - 03:30 PM

Been working on this today.  I suppose I shouldn't complain about cold and wind since the Carolina's isn't known for harsh winters.  Anyway, the sun was bright and warm.

Yesterday I changed the oil and replaced the standard cartridge oil filter which is the type this tractor originally came with.  I found that the replacement cartridge is missing some of the rubber washers and seals which would be required to thoroughly refresh it.  I can see an adapter to spin-on type filters in the future.

Today I removed the fuel tank and was able to confirm the source of all the oil was an issue with the valve cover.  Cleaned up the entire area and was able to remove the gasket.  I'll have to locate my feeler gauge to check valve clearances.  I've added a fuel can cap and thermostat to my wish list.

Once I had the fuel tank off, I also looked at the sediment bowl and was able to remove it by tapping with a screwdriver handle.  The strainer is damaged, so that should be replaced.  I pulled the bowl and shut-off assembly from the tank and discovered the inlet had no strainer and there was a lot of trash down in the inlet to the shut-off valve.  I cleaned that out, and will see what ELSE is required from the local dealer.

Pictures will hopefully come later.

• KennyP, propane1, Leonard VanCamp and 2 others have said thanks

#21 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 3116 Thanks
  • 3097 posts

Posted December 25, 2020 - 10:54 AM

Among other items accomplished on this tractor, I was able to check compression on all 3 cylinders while replacing the plugs.  I didn't find specs for the Perkins Gas, but the Continental is 145-160.  I was achieving 155 on all three cylinders, so I'm happy about the state of the engine internals.

• KennyP and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 3116 Thanks
  • 3097 posts

Posted May 02, 2021 - 08:25 PM

I see it has been a while since I updated this topic, so let me stroll back through memory lane.

While the valve cover gasket was the source of the oil leak, once I put the gasket cover back on, I saw bubbles at several spots around the valve cover.  I investigated and the valve cover has a breather vent with a long pipe, and one or both were clogged with accumulated grime over the years.  I cleaned it all out, reassembled everything and no more bubbles.  I suspect I should see about putting some sort of filter on that pipe and clean/replace it every so often.

Transmission oil changes, ultimately electronic points, timing checks and adjustments, adding a ground wire to the distributor plate, replacing multiple (EXPENSIVE) springs, running seafoam through the carb, replacing the damaged air intake tube and filter elements, changing the width of the front tires, new boots on the gear shifts ..........Probably some other things.  Eventually, I was convinced the tractor was as sound as could be expected and I took the plunge and purchased two new PAVT rims (EXPENSIVE!!!)

I wanted to relate one very important and personally satisfying discovery while doing all this work on the tractor - I accidentally discovered it was a 4 SPEED with high/low!  The shift knob was completely worn away and there were no shift patterns cast into the transmission, so I hunted for and found a middle gate between reverse ( upper left) and 2nd (upper right). :rocker2:  :dancingbanana:  This was the "holy grail" combination for me.

• Leonard VanCamp, Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#23 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 3116 Thanks
  • 3097 posts

Posted May 02, 2021 - 08:39 PM

I see from re-reading the above I didn't cover electrical issues, and there were several. :wallbanging:

When purchased, the tractor battery was dead, so I bought a new one - as you do.

The alternator wasn't charging either, and the alternator wiring was a hacked, and melted looking mess.  I discovered a likely short in the ammeter on the dash, and replaced the ammeter and the wiring to the alternator.  The alternator SHOULD have some sort of specialiezed double washer/fuse device which had been removed and the wire connected directly to the alternator, likely causing all the messed up and melted looking wiring.  I redid multiple sections of the wiring, replaced the ignition switch, and re-terminated several wires with crimp on terminals with heat shrink tubing to help secure the wire and make a long lasting repair.  I installed a fuse in the battery charging line and connected the lights through a relay directly to the alternator with yet another fuse as I wasn't happy with running the lights directly through the ignition switch.

• Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#24 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 3116 Thanks
  • 3097 posts

Posted May 02, 2021 - 09:10 PM

The fruits of all the labors detailed above came together this weekend, along with an extended period of rain-free weather and a lack of family commitments.  I hauled the tractor up to the farm.  Regretfully, as I was alone, there are few pictures and little video.  The tractor ran well, and while I've noted some items I want to investigate or repair, nothing was sufficient to stop the work and I racked up 8 hours of engine time over the weekend.   The 135 was able to easily pull the 6 foot blade I purchased for the smaller rental Kioti, and I plan to move up to a 7 foot blade when I find one.

Things I want to add or improve before the next trip:

1)  Cup holder

2)  Chainsaw tote

3)  Driver Shade or RPS with shade

IMG_20210501_083343035.jpg

Here is the tractor loaded and patiently waiting.

IMG_20210501_123248493_HDR.jpg

Here we are at the farm, freshly unloaded and ready to go to work.  I'm wearing Blue-tooth enabled hearing protection (courtesy of my daughter) and can listen to audio books as I work.

IMG_20210501_180635361.jpg

After several hours, the road has been widened again by a foot or so, ditched even deeper on the sides, and run-off channels filled.  Next weekend I'll work on some erosion control that I missed out on last year.

IMG_20210502_110700380.jpg

I was concerned the tractor might be light in the front, but it happily climbed up the little slope you see there ( I was cutting a water bar to try and channel water, thought I'd anchor it to that hill/mound.

I was overall very impressed with the "little" 135.  It was exceedingly nimble, more so than the Kioti  able to easily make three point turns as required on the dirt road.  While the brake/clutch/gearshift combination was more difficult to use than the Hydrostatic Kioti from last year, it was adequate for my purposes.  The 135 seemed to have better traction than the Kioti, simply because the drive wheels stayed firmly planted on the ground at all times.  I only exceeded front axle travel once that I recall.

As to the 4 speed gearbox....with the work I was doing, I mostly stayed in low.  I used 4th for transport, 1st or second mostly for cutting, and some 3rd for working dirt into the center.  Reverse was either low or high as required by the distance.  

• KennyP, Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#25 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 3116 Thanks
  • 3097 posts

Posted May 02, 2021 - 09:12 PM

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help out with these last two items on my wish list:

1)  Power leveling box - possibly on each side

2)  Power blade angle box

I think there are hydraulic options for these, but I don't have a hydraulic take-off, and I think those are rather expensive to purchase.  Does anyone know of an electrically powered alternative?

#26 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 1096 Thanks
  • 687 posts

Posted May 03, 2021 - 06:27 PM

If you do some research I think you can plumb in a auxillary hydraulic line. Some tractors you can remove plugs in the three point hydraulics and add a line

• HowardsMF155 and Vrdaddy have said thanks